The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

It never ends. My boy was shooting pucks the other day. I got home from work and thought I'd join him for kicks. I wound up with the old time slapper and missed the net and back drop by a mile and put a hole through the drywall on my first shot. Ugh. 

One time I was visiting my parents back home and dug out my old net and a stick, dragged it to the edge of the front yard, went into the street, took one shot, and hit the second-floor living room window. Luckily it was just a ball and it bounced off without smashing anything. Sure p'd off the dog tho. :picard:

ITT: Old dudes comparing twigs.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

It never ends. My boy was shooting pucks the other day. I got home from work and thought I'd join him for kicks. I wound up with the old time slapper and missed the net and back drop by a mile and put a hole through the drywall on my first shot. Ugh. 

I had wooden garage doors which my boys peppered with tennis balls. A paint job every fall did the trick.  :)

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s awesome.  Your boy will cherish that memory.  

My dad was actually very supportive.  He demolished half a barn, leaving a huge concrete pad for me to play on.  In the winter we filled it up to the hight of the concrete stub walls to make a big rink.  In the summer it was used for lacrosse.  Man, that was a great time.  Your boy will remember too, just like I do.  

And i suppose you had a big crush on Jo as well?

Shooting for me was mostly off a wet 4x8 sheet of plywood into a tall chainlink fence with a make shift net in front of it.. i lucked out though, in the winter we had 2 ponds close that were great and easy walking distance with skates, stick, and snow shovel to clear em.. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

And there you are, forced to give ACTUAL credit to what has been accomplished.  You realize you are in a no-win situation -- have to either admit there's been a cohesive plan all along, or that Benning and co did the miraculous and rebuilt the entire team in just three years, from a roster of aging vets, NTCs, and a bare prospect pool to one of elite talent, depth, and top-3 in the league in prospects.  It's truly without precedent, and in saying they completely failed for years yet snapped out of it and suddenly did the whole thing in just 3, you're giving them even more credit that we are.  Oh, but that just warrants a slow golf clap :rolleyes:

Why would I have an issue with giving Benning credit?  I think he’s done a lot of good things with this team.  I think he’s done a pretty decent job on the draft floor.  I don’t even blame him for the plan, ownership decides the direction the team goes, his just is to implement the best way to reach that goal.  But me liking JB doesn’t mean I don’t have criticisms or issues with some of the moves he’s made.  The problem some of you have, is that you take any differing opinion and write if off as hate, it’s why there’s not a single media report that any of you will call creditable, even Dhaliwal is getting turned on.   Unless you view it as worship you get immediately triggered. 

See thats the difference between and educated fan of hockey and a blind homer of a team. Educated fans are open to have reasonable discussions, criticism and praise and they use logic to back it up. Blind homers aren’t here for discussion. 

Those of us who saw it explained it over and over all the way through.  Go ahead -- necro-mine all the times we explained it the past five years, and you'll find not one tune changed, the overall plan's been the same.

See now this is hilarious.   

You saw it all along…?

You guys saw the Canucks becoming the second worst team in the NHL over the last 4 years?

You saw Canucks firing WD for failing to see team results?

You guys defended the majority of the signings and trades stating it would help make this team better, 

“Eriksson will help reignite the twins”

“Sutter will solidify our second line center”
“Gagner will help our powerplay”

“We need to fill that mythical age gap”

“Gudbranson will protect us and be a playoff beast“

In fact the often used reasoning for these signings were that they would “prevent” us from bottoming out and developing a losing culture (like Edmonton).  In the end the opposite of what YOU wanted happened.  The signings and trades failed miserably, Canucks bottomed out and were able to land some high end talent..Juolevi, Hughes, Petey.

End result, the team has been successfully rebuilt, and this season should bear that out.

You might want to take a few deep breathes before you start planning that parade route. 

Calling people "clowns" who saw it all along (not to mention never boasted about it) doesn't help your case and only makes you look even more bitter and self-righteous as you cling to whatever you can to criticize what's been accomplished here.  Aside from all that nonsense, true Canuck fans don't even care how we got here, but would join in together and enjoy the fruits, not continue to throw rocks and mud like the last few of you are.  Fortunately we're seeing that in spades now as the tank-train is all but empty, fans excited, and can't wait for the season to start.

If anyone is jumping on the bandwagon train it’s you guys.  What you claimed was the plan 5 years ago….FAILED.

You guys just aren’t bright enough to see that the ingenious plan you are now praising, is the exact path that you argued against…..Let that sink in……Welcome aboard…..

Maybe someday the lightbulb will click on and you will realize the biggest reason Canucks are on the upward trend… It the direct result of a 29th placed finish.  But you saw that right…..

• Thanks 3
  • Wat 4

5 minutes ago, Gäz said:

One time I was visiting my parents back home and dug out my old net and a stick, dragged it to the edge of the front yard, went into the street, took one shot, and hit the second-floor living room window. Luckily it was just a ball and it bounced off without smashing anything. Sure p'd off the dog tho. :picard:

ITT: Old dudes comparing twigs.

Lmao! 

6 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Followed by.. stop crying or i'll REALLY give you something to cry about... coming from a 240 pound scottish dad wasn't pleasant to hear either..

However he paid for my hockey so all was forgiven 

oh, i got that from my parents too ! ( Brits)

Then they would remind me that ' children should be seen an not heard'

On topic. way to go JB.

Like this signing.

• Cheers 1

Just now, iceman64 said:

Yeah back on topic i guess... ummm actually the most painful thing going on as a canucks fan now is waiting for the season to start again..  

Agreed.  Or the big trade to clear roster space without losing my favorites - so Schaller, Erickson and lastly if necessary Goldobin can go.

1 hour ago, tas said:

nobody said he was just letting the old core die. he was transitioning it to the new core,

The new core that we hadn’t drafted yet. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

and he didn't want horvat, virtanen, mccann, stecher, baertschi, vey, granlund and hutton to develop in a defeatist, loser environment where nobody in the room believed they had a sniff at the playoffs. 

75 points, 69 points, 73 points   Riigghhtt.....

Do people just forget what actually happen? 

Anyone knows why his name is spelled a little different than traditional Michael? Parents feel like being fancy??  names come to mind: Cristian, Kristeen,..... D'Markus, Javaris-Jamar, Quatro-Quatro, Shakiraquan.....   oh crap! Did I just bring up a Key & Peele episode? My bad!!

I've had such a tough time typing Mich-EAL.... and don't seen any other famous Micheals on Google....

Just now, Virtanen#18 said:

Anyone knows why his name is spelled a little different than traditional Michael? Parents feel like being fancy??  names come to mind: Cristian, Kristeen,..... D'Markus, Javaris-Jamar, Quatro-Quatro, Shakiraquan.....   oh crap! Did I just bring up a Key & Peele episode? My bad!!

I've had such a tough time typing Mich-EAL.... and don't seen any other famous Micheals on Google....

Apparently Micheal is the Gaelic version of Michael. 

Or the parents just made a spelling mistake...

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I agree that JB’s path to building his new (young) core was convoluted.  However, does it mater how he got there?  He’s there now, right?  Great young core.  Excellent supporting cast.  Really good prospects coming along.  Rebuild, retool, transition.  Call it what you like.  JB built us an exciting now, and a really good future.  

I agree it doesn’t matter. That’s the funny thing.  Claiming this team has been on two different paths isn’t mud slinging. I don’t even know how someone jumps to that conclusion. 

I find it hilarious that the select few on this board believe they are smarter then the rest of the world. This is the same crew that despised bottom feeding yet now praise JB for Pettersson Hughes and joulevi. 

14 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

75 points, 69 points, 73 points   Riigghhtt.....

Do people just forget what actually happen? 

As far as I know, we may not have been getting the points, but the team's stayed competitive despite that. Don't mistaken points for competitiveness.

Tampa had a lot of points. That sure helped them last season with their competitiveness!

Edited by The Lock

So hey, not sure this was covered in the thread yet, but has anyone looked into Ferlands' apparent drinking/substance abuse issues along with concussion history? He was in the NHL program. The Canes decided on not re-signing him and now he has a no move for the 1st 2 years of the contract.

• Wat 1