The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

On 7/10/2019 at 8:01 PM, aGENT said:

Nope.

Boeser for 6m is optimistic.  I have him around 7m.  So in that case agent, we would be over the cap.  

Schaller needs to be dealt and someone else hopefully.  

Having some cap space is a good idea.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

As far as I know, we may not have been getting the points, but the team's stayed competitive despite that. Don't mistaken points for competitiveness.

To me that’s a cop out since it allows everyone to apply there own filter. Canucks have played some of there worst hockey consistently. We’ve set franchise records of longest time frame with a single shot so it’s really hard to convince me that we’ve been competitive.  Oilers fans said the same thing for many years. That they were in games just a player or two away from really winning. Yet they are the definition of not being competitive.  

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Tampa had a lot of points. That sure helped them last season with their competitiveness!

JBs definition of being competitive is playing meaningful games in March and April.  We haven’t played those games in a long time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Boeser for 6m is optimistic.  I have him around 7m.  So in that case agent, we would be over the cap.  

Add back the $3m for Rouss ;) Again, this doesn't mean we don't eventually need to make a move but there's absolutely nothing dire about our cap situation.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Why would I have an issue with giving Benning credit?  I think he’s done a lot of good things with this team.  I think he’s done a pretty decent job on the draft floor.  I don’t even blame him for the plan, ownership decides the direction the team goes, his just is to implement the best way to reach that goal.  But me liking JB doesn’t mean I don’t have criticisms or issues with some of the moves he’s made.  The problem some of you have, is that you take any differing opinion and write if off as hate, it’s why there’s not a single media report that any of you will call creditable, even Dhaliwal is getting turned on.   Unless you view it as worship you get immediately triggered. 

See thats the difference between and educated fan of hockey and a blind homer of a team. Educated fans are open to have reasonable discussions, criticism and praise and they use logic to back it up. Blind homers aren’t here for discussion. 

See now this is hilarious.   

You saw it all along…?

You guys saw the Canucks becoming the second worst team in the NHL over the last 4 years?

You saw Canucks firing WD for failing to see team results?

You guys defended the majority of the signings and trades stating it would help make this team better, 

“Eriksson will help reignite the twins”

“Sutter will solidify our second line center”
“Gagner will help our powerplay”

“We need to fill that mythical age gap”

“Gudbranson will protect us and be a playoff beast“

In fact the often used reasoning for these signings were that they would “prevent” us from bottoming out and developing a losing culture (like Edmonton).  In the end the opposite of what YOU wanted happened.  The signings and trades failed miserably, Canucks bottomed out and were able to land some high end talent..Juolevi, Hughes, Petey.

You might want to take a few deep breathes before you start planning that parade route. 

If anyone is jumping on the bandwagon train it’s you guys.  What you claimed was the plan 5 years ago….FAILED.

You guys just aren’t bright enough to see that the ingenious plan you are now praising, is the exact path that you argued against…..Let that sink in……Welcome aboard…..

Maybe someday the lightbulb will click on and you will realize the biggest reason Canucks are on the upward trend… It the direct result of a 29th placed finish.  But you saw that right…..

Hater,

Couldn’t have said it better myself. 

All part of the plan... :lol:

Fellow bad-fan. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

To me that’s a cop out since it allows everyone to apply there own filter. Canucks have played some of there worst hockey consistently. We’ve set franchise records of longest time frame with a single shot so it’s really hard to convince me that we’ve been competitive.  Oilers fans said the same thing for many years. That they were in games just a player or two away from really winning. Yet they are the definition of not being competitive.  

JBs definition of being competitive is playing meaningful games in March and April.  We haven’t played those games in a long time. 

This fanbase is in mediocrity mode(oiler mode) and accepts the meaningful last 5 minutes of play without question.  Nucks are 5 players away from contending for anything.   Personally  I am sick of the  lack of scoring and mostly disgusted in the zero pushback in terms of physical play (standing up for our star players) .

Bennings injection of size will help but more skilled players who can actually put the puck in the net is what I want..........man I am sick of wanting this every year..........

• Haha 2
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

who knows where Shah gets his numbers.

https://puckpedia.com/team/vancouver-canucks

5.883 million.

with 14 forwards.

Say they do nothing else.

Waive/assign two of those players  and add 2 million (take your pick, for me at this point probably LE and Schaller)

= 7.883 million.

Additionally - 3 million LTIR for Roussel opening night.  They're able to go 10% over in the meantime - they won't need to go over, at all, imo.

They'd also have two roster spots left even after signing Boeser (and Goldobin, if he's not dealt).

They could concievably add a couple more depth signings with no cap consequence - ie. a depth D at $850k or less has no impact.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

This fanbase is in mediocrity mode(oiler mode) and accepts the meaningful last 5 minutes of play without question.  Nucks are 5 players away from contending for anything.   Personally  I am sick of the  lack of scoring and mostly disgusted in the zero pushback in terms of physical play (standing up for our star players) .

Bennings injection of size will help but more skilled players who can actually put the puck in the net is what I want..........man I am sick of wanting this every year..........

Any ideas?

12 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

How about Brock takes 5.5m, what the captain makes, for two seaons.

It would show character and a willingness to build the team.

A true show me bridge deal. 5.5 is still crazy money.,

Then we re-up him for big bucks if he can prove he is that big money guy.

The system has to buck at some point.

Bridge deals need to become the norm again.

If brock scores 35-40 twice give him the world. Bridge deal or bust.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

who knows where Shah gets his numbers.

https://puckpedia.com/team/vancouver-canucks

5.883 million.

with 14 forwards.

Say they do nothing else.

Waive/assign two of those players  and add 2 million (take your pick, for me at this point probably LE and Schaller)

= 7.883 million.

Additionally - 3 million LTIR for Roussel opening night.  They're able to go 10% over in the meantime - they won't need to go over, at all, imo.

They'd also have two roster spots left even after signing Boeser (and Goldobin, if he's not dealt).

They could concievably add a couple more depth signings with no cap consequence - ie. a depth D at $850k or less has no impact.

I think in reality - despite some ridiculous "articles" I have read stating the contrary and suggesting Dubas is managing the cap better than anyone LOL - Benning has done an admirable job managing the available cap space including consideration for the Boeser deal while still significantly improving the on-ice capability of this team.

I have criticized Benning plenty for some (in hindsight and even up front) bonehead moves, but he has given the team options this summer to deal a couple of players and possibly include a sweetener to dump Eriksson while keeping them cap compliant in the process. All while turning us into a team that wont get pushed around as much.

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Hater,

Can you find a single post - ever - on these boards where someone referred to FTG as a "hater"?

Real easy search function to use, btw.  If that's happened, then kudos to you for calling whomever that was out.

If not....

Ah, nevermind reality - carry on with the poor-me, I've been virtually ganged up on and victimized on CDC story. 

Poor black sheep got no freedoms of speeches.

Shrinking violets 'silenced' by opposing opinions.

Fantasy shadow-boxers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

But what a meanwhile it will finally be...

No more being a total pussy as a team identify and culture.

0B705F99-9CBA-41C6-9D21-81BE9352A962.gif.5b45296478bc278ddf83e144e93fad70.gif

=

02419B87-BEB0-4EE7-9CEB-D170CD8EC683.gif.423619a7cdf235e8df40d89e3eb5a79f.gif

Just need some more skill, but whatever, at least the wuss-fest is over. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Any ideas?

Easier said than done obviously but make better deals for better players.

Top priority is stop picking up reclamation projects from other teams. WE seem to grab one or 2 outcasts every year to bolster the roster.   I really do think the 3 added big boys will make a difference in this regard making it harder to play against us. Hopefully the team plays a much stronger game all around and it can translate into GOALS.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Silver Ghost said:

I think in reality - despite some ridiculous "articles" I have read stating the contrary and suggesting Dubas is managing the cap beter than anyon LOL, Benning has done an admirable job managing the available cap space including consideration for the Boeser deal while still significantly improving the on-ice capability of this team.

I have criticized Benning plenty for some (in hindsight and even up front) bonehead moves, but he has given the team options this summer to deal a couple of players and possibly include a sweetener to dump Eriksson while keeping them cap compliant in the process. All while turning us into a team that wont get pushed around as much.

Greg Gilbert was on NHL Network today and he was the first I've heard to shed some negative shade on Dubas. He mentioned they would miss the minutes Zaitsev played. He touched on how Zaitsev suffered being paired with Gartner and that Gartner was a mess in his own end. Said they will miss Hainsey on D and that Barrie, while great offensively, does little to improve their dzone coverage. He talked on how TO has gotten worse and now Dubas has a bunch of UFA's after this year and no cap room. It was refreshing to hear an honest opinion on Dubas for once as he really didnt have much positive to say about what has been done there this off season.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Can you find a single post - ever - on these boards where someone referred to FTG as a "hater"?

Real easy search function to use, btw.  If that's happened, then kudos to you for calling whomever that was out.

If not....

Ah, nevermind reality - carry on with the poor-me, I've been virtually ganged up on and victimized on CDC story. 

Poor black sheep got no freedoms of speeches.

Shrinking violets 'silenced' by opposing opinions.

Fantasy shadow-boxers.

It’s all part of Benning’s plan. 

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Greg Gilbert was on NHL Network today and he was the first I've heard to shed some negative shade on Dubas. He mentioned they would miss the minutes Zaitsev played. He touched on how Zaitsev suffered being paired with Gartner and that Gartner was a mess in his own end. Said they will miss Hainsey on D and that Barrie, while great offensively, does little to improve their dzone coverage. He talked on how TO has gotten worse and now Dubas has a bunch of UFA's after this year and no cap room. It was refreshing to hear an honest opinion on Dubas for once as he really didnt have much positive to say about what has been done there this off season.

Dubas is the most overrated GM in the league. The ONLY saving grace he has is that he is the GM of Toronto, where a lot of players mysteriously want to play. 

On any other team without that inherent advantage, Dubas would be a laughingstock.

He gave up a 1st round pick and Connor Brown to get rid of Zaitsev and Marleau. And traded one of their only decent contracts in Kadri for a grand total of Kerfoot and potentially one year of Ceci and Barrie. 

Any other GM who did that - while in the process making his team to weaker than a grade 6 volleyball team and devoid of any decent depth - would be dragged through the streets and beaten with something as heavy as the Nylander cap hit.

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Upvote 2