The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

2 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I could see

Ferland Horvat Pearson

being an absolute force on the ice. 

That will be a seriously aggressive line to watch.  Horvat and Ferland will be a total handful on the same line. Pearson could seriously benefit from some open ice .

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

So hey, not sure this was covered in the thread yet, but has anyone looked into Ferlands' apparent drinking/substance abuse issues along with concussion history? He was in the NHL program. The Canes decided on not re-signing him and now he has a no move for the 1st 2 years of the contract.

Gino apparently helped him get and stay sober. If there are any issues Gino is only a phone call away.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s all part of Benning’s plan.

shocking - you couldn't produce a "hater" quote.

no worries - it's ttotally in-vogue to posture victimization incessantly.   understandable how often that posturing is parroted.

The "fake news" is out to get meee!!

but that too, I suppose, is just part of Benning's 'plan', right.

Edited by oldnews

2 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Dubas is the most overrated GM in the league. The ONLY saving grace he has is that he is the GM of Toronto, where a lot of players mysteriously want to play. 

On any other team without that inherent advantage, Dubas would be a laughingstock.

The second they signed JT, Nylander should of been on the trade block. Instead they give him an overpaid contract and Dubas declares to the media that he wont be traded. They still have Sparks as a back up as well. My dislike for TO, Dubas, their media aside, I seriously think they will be a lot worse of a team next year. If so, the fireworks will be so, so, entertaining. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

That will be a seriously aggressive line to watch.  Horvat and Ferland will be a total handful on the same line. Pearson could seriously benefit from some open ice .

With JV, Miller and even JL as wingers for the top 9, there are some terrific combinations available for TG to put together. It will be interesting to see where players find chemistry.

Shot attempts from the D is going to go through the roof, IMO. Need some accuracy though... and no shin pads, Eddy. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rekker said:

The second they signed JT, Nylander should of been on the trade block. Instead they give him an overpaid contract and Dubas declares to the media that he wont be traded. They still have Sparks as a back up as well. My dislike for TO, Dubas, their media aside, I seriously think they will be a lot worse of a team next year. If so, the fireworks will be so, so, entertaining. 

love affair will only last as long as they are competitive. 

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

With JV, Miller and even JL as wingers for the top 9, there are some terrific combinations available for TG to put together. It will be interesting to see where players find chemistry.

Shot attempts from the D is going to go through the roof, IMO. Need some accuracy though... and no shin pads, Eddy. 

:bigblush:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Dubas arrogance will be his undoing. Even the golden shine put on him by theToronto media spin will burn him eventually when TO $&!#s the bed yet again in the playoffs and has a depleted team paying too much to a handful of forwards.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Borvat said:

Agreed.  Or the big trade to clear roster space without losing my favorites - so Schaller, Erickson and lastly if necessary Goldobin can go.

Well rest assured it'll happen as cap says no, cap rules so no it is.. people gotta go and their gone, just "who" and when remains to be seen.. 

If i was bettman i'd be behind the phones or in personal meetings until i had more revenue income and get the cap up, i know, whose to say he isn't but i hope he does his job "properly" for a change as in priorities right.. 

Not $&!#e that gets you boo'd almost practically off a draft stage just for STARTERS and the list is long before that.. 

43 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Because again, they were looking at individual transactions in isolation instead of stepping back to try to see a big picture, to see how all the moves were part of the same whole.  "The plan" was not one-dimensional, there were several aspects at play at the same time.  Too many had the preconceived notion it had to either be "trade away picks for vets and competitiveness" or "move out vets for a rebuild" without realizing it can be both.  It's also what comes out from the 'tankers', a black-and-white dichotomy -- either go all in and win the cup, or burn it down to the ground and get picks.  Maybe some teams have done that, but it doesn't mean that's the only way.

Spot on, imo, and accurate articulation of the dynamics. Multiple aspects have been at play that make up the whole. It has never been as simple as "either or". All of it was happening at the same time. It was both and much more. Mixed messages were being sent because multiple things were happening. 

We had a unique set of obstacles, goals, challenges that made it unfeasable to take one single conventional approach. This has been unconventional the entire time but certainly within a larger plan of where the unconventional will eventually meet the conventional. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Silver Ghost said:

Dubas arrogance will be his undoing. Even the golden shine put on him by theToronto media spin will burn him eventually when TO $&!#s the bed yet again in the playoffs and has a depleted team paying too much to a handful of forwards.

Yip. Next up is the bullet in the chamber Dubas has been saving for Babcock. He will fire Babcock if the season ends ugly and make him the scapegoat.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Silver Ghost said:

I’m fine with Dubas and Toronto. They’re doing fine. I’m not fine with Ottawa and Edmonton. I think those two franchises are a joke. They should stay in their cities but they should be owned by people who care.

3 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Just 2 players on that roster total are killing it for them, not a lot of money to spend after that for support

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

Dubas was selfish with dealing with Nylander, in the sense that he did not want to look like a bad negotiator/deal maker.. in the mean time the press in Toronto have Babcock in their crosshairs when they should be aiming higher.

I think they will lose Marner..  he wasn’t supposed to be this good ...  I saw Calgary with 22m in Capspace, maybe that’s all changed.

just sayin.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, xereau said:

How about Brock takes 5.5m, what the captain makes, for two seaons.

It would show character and a willingness to build the team.

A true show me bridge deal. 5.5 is still crazy money.,

Then we re-up him for big bucks if he can prove he is that big money guy.

The system has to buck at some point.

Bridge deals need to become the norm again.

If brock scores 35-40 twice give him the world. Bridge deal or bust.

5.5... dreaming.  Not likely.  

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

You could see Green had Jake out in situations to genuinely work on his defensive game last year,. And for the better part what I saw was Jake working hard on the back check, skating hard..  to realize his upturn would generate a tremendous amount of speed offensively if he was able to help pressure the puck off an opposing player, and onto his own D man.

Thus some of the great speed we saw him enter with the puck into opposing zones last season.. 

I think this year he reads the plays fully , and springs into action for some fantastic rushes.. Blossom year for JV.

Lets hope so... if so with a full year in, he could always be subbed in 2nd line in case of injury and play almost as well and who he replaced.. that would mean a lot for us, we need guys who can move up the line up and let depth cover their own spot lower that's easier to fill 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, xereau said:

How about Brock takes 5.5m, what the captain makes, for two seaons.

It would show character and a willingness to build the team.

A true show me bridge deal. 5.5 is still crazy money.,

Then we re-up him for big bucks if he can prove he is that big money guy.

The system has to buck at some point.

Bridge deals need to become the norm again.

If brock scores 35-40 twice give him the world. Bridge deal or bust.

Exactly.

20/21 year olds, coming off their ELCs, with 100ish career NHL points, need  to stop expecting - and receiving $50 million contracts.

2 x 5.5 is exactly what should happen.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, oldnews said:

who knows where Shah gets his numbers.

https://puckpedia.com/team/vancouver-canucks

5.883 million.

with 14 forwards.

Say they do nothing else.

Waive/assign two of those players  and add 2 million (take your pick, for me at this point probably LE and Schaller)

= 7.883 million.

Additionally - 3 million LTIR for Roussel opening night.  They're able to go 10% over in the meantime - they won't need to go over, at all, imo.

They'd also have two roster spots left even after signing Boeser (and Goldobin, if he's not dealt).

They could concievably add a couple more depth signings with no cap consequence - ie. a depth D at $850k or less has no impact.

Is Lou's hit included?