The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

8 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I guess it's a question of his worth. Is it 5,6, or 7? I think it's around 7.

It depends on how you look at it.

When you consider that Kevin Lebanc -  who had 56 pts last year (exactly Boeser's production) and 116 career points (again, exactly Boeser's career production thus far) - took a $1 million x 1 year bridge, things get kinda murky/debatable.

Of course, those are absurd terms that make somewhat of a mockery of the "sprit" and intent of the CBA, but whatever - it appears the NHL approved that.

Perhaps there will be a Lebanc rule in the next CBA, punishing the Sharks for artificially deflated cap savings.

Boeser at 2 x 5.5 is fair imo.   Come back and earn the 50 million next time around, when you're 23 whole years of age - in the meantime, 11 million aint bad to work with.

Edited by oldnews

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It depends on how you look at it.

When you consider that Kevin Lebanc -  who had 56 pts last year (exactly Boeser's production) and 116 career points (again, exactly Boeser's career production thus far) - took a $1 million x 1 year bridge, things get kinda murky/debatable.

Boeser at 2 x 5.5 is fair imo.   Come back and earn the 50 million next time around, when you're 23 whole years of age - in the meantime, 11 million aint bad to work with.

That's a good comparison....but I think if the Canucks offered me $1M and I was Brock (not saying you said that) I'd ask for a trade.

22 hours ago, BlastPast said:

This is actually pretty funny. I'm guessing Jeff isn't a numbers guy.   I can see him going to a Bentley dealership with a 10K budget and wondering why he can't get a deal done.

Oh Patterson IS a numbers guy.  Boy is he ever.

I was thinking that the tweet was a weak attempt at humour since Ferland's AAV has exactly doubled since his last contract.

Could Patterson really be such a downer since Benning seems to be making the team better which is what our "little black cloud" has been harping about for years.  I used to like Patterson before he became such a downer.  Now I just shut him off as soon as I hear his voice :lol:

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

That's a good comparison....but I think if the Canucks offered me $1M and I was Brock (not saying you said that) I'd ask for a trade.

It's not really a comparison as much it is a point of contrast.

I'm not suggesting Boeser 'should' take 1 million, or even 3, or 4 - I'm suggesting he 'should' take a bridge - that pays him no more than his captain - who imo is a better hockey player at this point than Boeser is.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

Because he's better than Nylander.

The thing is with Brock he's a class act that puts bums in the seats. 

Brock has yet to play a full season yet to score 30 goals not the greatest defensively come on anything over the 5 mill is a joke.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 2

4 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Okay, but that doesn’t make it reality. A pay cut would be if he took less than what he was making on his expiring contract. Which isn’t the case. 

I see you point but you gotta look at your current value not past value. If you can sell your house for $1M  you don't sell it for less than $800k because you bought it three years ago for $700.

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I have been lucky enough to meet and talk to Trevor Linden multiple times in my lifetime. I have only known him to be a genuine and caring guy, whom has the same respect for the CEO as the janitor. Just like his parents taught him as a young man and just like Pat Quinn taught him as he was breaking into the league. He is anything but “standoffish.” We would all be lucky to have half the character that man has. 

Linden will always be number 2. He was almost the best!

7 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I see you point but you gotta look at your current value not past value. If you can sell your house for $1M  you don't sell it for less than $800k because you bought it three years ago for $700.

Perceived Market Value =/= pay cut (or pay increase for that matter)

That was my only point. 

11 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Why because you say so? Look what Calgary got and look at what we got.:picard:

Everyone says so silly! :frantic:

We got a young top 6 forward.  Calgary got a 44% chance that the player they picked would even be an NHL'er.

So YEAH....pretty clearly JB made a VERY GOOD trade.  :picard:

6 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Best ufa signing this summer.  3.5 for 4 years is a bargain.  He’s here til 31! 

I remember listening to a Gino Odjik interview in 2012.  He was really upset the Canucks never had a guy riding shotgun for them.  He said those two players deserved proper protection.  I bet Gino is very happy we got Ferland for Petey.  

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Honestly I wouldn’t bridge boeser I would go for the long term lock in 

A bridge is not opposed to a 'long term lock in' - he remains an RFA with a bridge - you can then 'lock him in' longer term, buying more of his UFA years if that is the principal motivation - bypassing a bridge is counterproductive (in more ways that one - the only real potential advantage is the potential cap savings if he were to further 'break out' or command more money (that, imo is something you live with for the relative advantages of the bridge)..

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1