The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

Seems illogical, in Boeser’s case specifically, to offer a bridge contract when we have more bargaining chips on our side now. If next year he stays healthy for the full season and scores 30+ goals, he’ll have more than enough reason to ask for more money. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

who knows where Shah gets his numbers.

https://puckpedia.com/team/vancouver-canucks

5.883 million.

with 14 forwards.

Say they do nothing else.

Waive/assign two of those players  and add 2 million (take your pick, for me at this point probably LE and Schaller)

= 7.883 million.

Additionally - 3 million LTIR for Roussel opening night.  They're able to go 10% over in the meantime - they won't need to go over, at all, imo.

They'd also have two roster spots left even after signing Boeser (and Goldobin, if he's not dealt).

They could concievably add a couple more depth signings with no cap consequence - ie. a depth D at $850k or less has no impact.

Great point. I wonder if they give Hutton 1 million or less if he doesn’t get snagged. He must be getting a bit worried.

1 hour ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Easier said than done obviously but make better deals for better players.

Top priority is stop picking up reclamation projects from other teams. WE seem to grab one or 2 outcasts every year to bolster the roster.   I really do think the 3 added big boys will make a difference in this regard making it harder to play against us. Hopefully the team plays a much stronger game all around and it can translate into GOALS.

I to think the size is going to pay dividends for us plus add scoring depth. Are miller and Ferland going to hit 30+ goals? Probably not, but they will probably both score 20-25 goals with added sandpaper in our Top 6, which was sorely needed. They are also both on very cap friendly deals.

People say 'more skill, more skill'! But how do we get that out side of the draft? Paying 12Mill/year for Panarin? Trading Horvat?

I think/hope the bargain bin shopping for JB is over. He hasn't made one of those moves yet this year, to my knowledge.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Please no more mediocre 20 goal scorers.  Millter and Ferland - such  a waste of time.

Can we just cut to the chase, here?

Mediocre 20 goal scorers? Kind of an oxymoron don't you think? Every team needs those players. We had Horvat, Boeser, EP score in the high 20s last year; who was the next closest? Virtanen probably? So you could argue that the 20 goal scorers are the type of guys that the Canucks need to improve their scoring depth. These guys bridge that gap. Also, see other points above.

So again, what would you do differently to add skill or to 'cut to the chase'?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

Seems illogical, in Boeser’s case specifically, to offer a bridge contract when we have more bargaining chips on our side now. If next year he stays healthy for the full season and scores 30+ goals, he’ll have more than enough reason to ask for more money. 

I agree with this and think it’s wise to roll the dice on a longer contract to keep his hit down in the future. 

His agent might be angling hard on what we see as well, though.. that he’s probably a 30+ guy fully healthy playing on Petey’s wing.  It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ferland   Petey     Brock

Miller      BO         Pearson

Leivo     Sutter     Virtanen

Motte     Beagle   MacEwen

Goldobin

Roussel (LTIR)

I'm sorry but there is no room for Baertschi anymore.  He's not a 4th line player and we have guys we can call up like Gaudette plus maybe Goldobin to fill in for injuries.  We also have Roussel who will be back in December.  I like Jake on the 3rd line as he adds more truculence which is what we need and Leivo is also a big body.  I like the look of our top 9 right now.  We got some big bodies and lots of skill as well.

Baertschi hopefully can be traded for a pick at full salary, if we have to retain so be it.  Eriksson will be the bigger problem.  Other than those two contracts we are actually quite fine.  We have lots of young guys on the way as the cupboard is full now.  I like our D too, some big bodies added there too.

We are going to be a difficult team to play against next year.  Just like Jim Benning has always envisioned.  We all know now he was the one who created that Boston team that was big and nasty.  Chiarelli was just a side show.  

Sorry, don't agree.

Bear's a better all around player than MacEwen is right now. We don't need his toughness anymore. We need skilled depth more than anything and if Bear is healthy, it means Jake has to slide down and Zac starts off in the AHL.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Mediocre 20 goal scorers? Kind of an oxymoron don't you think? Every team needs those players. We had Horvat, Boeser, EP score in the high 20s last year; who was the next closest? Virtanen probably? So you could argue that the 20 goal scorers are the type of guys that the Canucks need to improve their scoring depth. These guys bridge that gap. Also, see other points above.

So again, what would you do differently to add skill or to 'cut to the chase'?

/s

totally agree.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

Great point. I wonder if they give Hutton 1 million or less if he doesn’t get snagged. He must be getting a bit worried.

Well BHut might notice that guys like MDZ are signing one year 750k deals....Hutton's last two seasons weren't exactly any better than MDZ's.  Last year might earn him the edge, but 1 million in this climate might be a realistic take for Hutton.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, guntrix said:

That’s a good point. I see both sides of the argument. Tough call for Jim. Ultimately it will come down to what they are able to negotiate with his Agent. We’ll have to wait and see. I’ll be happy to see Brock signed either way. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Might want to check this out:

Thanks for posting the article. It helps. I just wanted to see more than blatant homerism regarding a new player and to know more history on the guy. A buddy told me he had some issues with Brindamour last year because of it. Between that and what Craig Button said on TSN about the signing, I think it's appropriate to be cautious and I really wanna know how much research our GM is doing on these things. Benning's lack of dudiligence on seeking out good trades and overpaying on contracts is starting to annoy me, personally.

• Wat 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hutton might slip into the PTO category.  

I'd be surprised - who knows -  but he could fall into the Luca Sbisa category - who didn't sign early in UFA last year and wound up taking a 1.5 million deal after what was, imo, a considerably better season on a deep, very compettitive Vegas team (where Sbisa earned nearly 20 minutes among a lot of competition) = better than what Hutton just did in Vancouver last year, and much better than Hutton's previous campaign.

I'm not sure the team will sign any more LHDepth considering Juolevi, Sautner and Brisebois, but if there were a need, I wouldn't be opposed to a cheap Luca Sbisa.  Derek Engelland is another fairly solid stay at home - Kronwall still there, Girardi, and of course Gardiner.

Complicating things for a guy like Hutton:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/defenseman/ufa/available/

a considerable amount (10?) of at-least comparables to him with at least a handful of better defensemen still available.

Edited by oldnews

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Ha man.... I wouldn't take a 28% pay cut. Why should he? 

Derp....MATHS ARE HARD.

Boeser makes 925,000 a year last year.

Boeser (hypothetically) signs for 5.5 million this year. 

Please show your work........   :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Yip. Next up is the bullet in the chamber Dubas has been saving for Babcock. He will fire Babcock if the season ends ugly and make him the scapegoat.

Interesting take, he certainly does have that bullet in his chamber.  Equally interesting how the rumblings against Babcock started up after their elimination this year.  A fourth straight or worse, playoff miss, and it could get messy.  But seriously -- Dubas is the guy that gave him the team to work with, so he's got to take some serious culpability if they falter.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1