The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THE REBUILD IS OVER

Rate this topic

Zigmund.Palffy

On 7/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

No more f-ing around!

Going after it, hard. 

JB is insulating the skill with character and as much grit and toughness as he can in the modern NHL. 

At the very least, the Canucks will at least lose well. 

Thats all I’ve ever asked for as a fan. 

I dont think I have anything left to complain about. I’ve got my way, basically, as a fan. The team is built pretty much how I like it. I’m a happy fan! 

Absolutely this.

couldnt be more pleased with this off-season addition of miller and ferland.

not worried about boeser signing and Myers makes our d better.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

We definitely enjoy the sport for the same reasons. I also enjoy your non biased approach on here. 

I didn’t ‘come around’.

The team completely changed via UFA, not by rebuilding. 

Let’s not use the spending of house money to cover any shortcoming of the rebuild as the bar set for stellar management or rebuilding, which seems to be missing in these discussions. 

The “Plan”, with no need to play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey as to pin down when the plan/re-thingy actually started, wasn’t ever something I could understand, as a manager. I was on Team Tank or Accidental Tank, whatever it was, I was in it for the long haul, but didn’t think JB was, yet the results were there. What I perceived as his mismanagement was what I actually liked about him during that phase, which was a Tanktard’s dream to have Slim-Jim “learning on the job”. Not anymore. Now there will be accountability and silver linings won’t be an accepted result. 

Did JB assemble that expensive of a roster to go diving for draft jewels in the top 5-7?

Did he purposely retain the key IR mainstays, and it looks like no change again there btw, as to roster a Swiss cheese roster for added weight for his deep diving?... was that part of the plan as well? 

When JB stated that UFAs MDZ and Gagme were going to help fix the PP, but didn’t, was that part of the plan? 

What exactly went to plan here in the past 5 years, bud?

Rebuilding the prospect pool?

Mission accomplished then, but it’s how this team was managed which produced those results - which I’ve been critical of the Slim-Jim era for. 

Either those finishes were expected and we have witnessed perhaps the most expensive rebuild in the modern era, or there remain concerns with aspects of the management of the roster. Each will have their own views on that. 

Water under the bridge, I’ve moved on and you all know why; the team is built the way I’ve wanted/like and nobody on these boards is happier than myself about it. I don’t want to dwell on the past and certainly any condescending or patronizing remarks, intentional or not, about how I’ve come around, won’t change how I perceive the past. 

The short of it is, I don’t think this team was very well managed, to the point where key elements the actual rebuild itself were compromised enough that I began to cheer for its abandonment because I sensed the next wave of prospects weren’t going to cut it and we’d be stuck in the middle until forever, as we’ve seen elsewhere. 

Moving forward, and who knows which trades and UFAs he swung and missed for, he must acquire another skilled winger and hope and pray that one of the D prospects can soon fill in and provide some offence. Since the same IR mainstays are still occupying key roster spots, though far less critical after these signings, especially on D, I suspect depth-depth will be deployed and tested this season, unless he manages to do something more profound than merely offload LE’s contract. 

I am thrilled about the status of the roster and thank JB for his work this past month, but that’s where these accolades stop. I hope he has another ace up his ace. 

Does this mean you will start using your powers for good rather than evil?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

We don't have anyone close to the 100 point range. So not sure why you would say our front line is one of the best? We have some good young talent but they are a ways from being classed as one of the best.

Our bottom six is anemic.  Our bottom six is close to being the worst in the league.

Our top line is far from the best but you don’t need 100 point players to

be successful. St Louis just won the cup and their top scorer was ROR who had 77 points. As a matter of fact, only 3 players on that team had more than 50 points. 

The Canuck roster is far from the best in the league but at least now it’s more evenly balanced and will be better than last season. To say our bottom 6 is the worst in the league is an untrue comment. The 3rd line alone should have 3 15 goal scorers in a  (hopefully) healthy Sutter, Virtanen, and Josh Leivo. Who knows, Adam Gaudette may surprise this year and Sven Baertschi is still on this roster for now and capable of scoring 20. Let’s be optimistic for once. 

• Upvote 1

Re-build not finished, but great strides have been achieved in just a short time.

The top six could still do with maybe one or two more guys (Podkolzin is likely one). 

There's a better bottom six (overall) than there was in 2011. I liked that Higgins, Malhotra and Hansen line, but the 4th line for next year should be better than 2011.

The defense is maybe half way there. Maybe. A lot depends on the potential of guys on the farm, or out of the country, or maybe still to be drafted.

In goal, Demko and DiPietro have a lot of potential, and likely/hopefully will do well.

regards,  G.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

We definitely enjoy the sport for the same reasons. I also enjoy your non biased approach on here. 

I didn’t ‘come around’.

The team completely changed via UFA, not by rebuilding. 

Let’s not use the spending of house money to cover any shortcoming of the rebuild as the bar set for stellar management or rebuilding, which seems to be missing in these discussions. 

The “Plan”, with no need to play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey as to pin down when the plan/re-thingy actually started, wasn’t ever something I could understand, as a manager. I was on Team Tank or Accidental Tank, whatever it was, I was in it for the long haul, but didn’t think JB was, yet the results were there. What I perceived as his mismanagement was what I actually liked about him during that phase, which was a Tanktard’s dream to have Slim-Jim “learning on the job”. Not anymore. Now there will be accountability and silver linings won’t be an accepted result. 

Did JB assemble that expensive of a roster to go diving for draft jewels in the top 5-7?

Did he purposely retain the key IR mainstays, and it looks like no change again there btw, as to roster a Swiss cheese roster for added weight for his deep diving?... was that part of the plan as well? 

When JB stated that UFAs MDZ and Gagme were going to help fix the PP, but didn’t, was that part of the plan? 

What exactly went to plan here in the past 5 years, bud?

Rebuilding the prospect pool?

Mission accomplished then, but it’s how this team was managed which produced those results - which I’ve been critical of the Slim-Jim era for. 

Either those finishes were expected and we have witnessed perhaps the most expensive rebuild in the modern era, or there remain concerns with aspects of the management of the roster. Each will have their own views on that. 

Water under the bridge, I’ve moved on and you all know why; the team is built the way I’ve wanted/like and nobody on these boards is happier than myself about it. I don’t want to dwell on the past and certainly any condescending or patronizing remarks, intentional or not, about how I’ve come around, won’t change how I perceive the past. 

The short of it is, I don’t think this team was very well managed, to the point where key elements the actual rebuild itself were compromised enough that I began to cheer for its abandonment because I sensed the next wave of prospects weren’t going to cut it and we’d be stuck in the middle until forever, as we’ve seen elsewhere. 

Moving forward, and who knows which trades and UFAs he swung and missed for, he must acquire another skilled winger and hope and pray that one of the D prospects can soon fill in and provide some offence. Since the same IR mainstays are still occupying key roster spots, though far less critical after these signings, especially on D, I suspect depth-depth will be deployed and tested this season, unless he manages to do something more profound than merely offload LE’s contract. 

I am thrilled about the status of the roster and thank JB for his work this past month, but that’s where these accolades stop. I hope he has another ace up his ace. 

Well said 189lbs.    I’ve been on team tank too, and maybe had a bit more cynical outlook from the beginning then some that we ever had a chance no matter whom took over the job.  Expectations were low for a variety of reasons, mostly because we had absolutely nobody coming up or to replace the old core, and that we were handcuffed to pull off a Linden deal like last time things looked so dreadful (Keenan era).

Somehow its come together better then those expectations.   Not 100% sold on going all in yet, but it is what it is and I have a roster that I’m happiest to cheer for in a very long time.   Look forward to watching these kids grow, and same with the veterans 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Absolutely, sir!

Apollo has nothing on me today...! 

Wife and I were talking about Ferland and she mentioned your favourite player, Bob Probert, as a comparable.  Big, tough, honest player with the skills to play with the top guys on the team.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2019 at 5:08 AM, Shift-4 said:

D group still not stellar

The difference maker will be if Juolevi can be a class puck handler, solid defensively.  We know Hughes can inject tempo.

If Edler and Tanev, both get moved to 2knd pair duty, we'll actually be better than doubters think. They have handled top pair functions for 5 & 10 years. 

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

I have to just block out the last five years . The stupidity of what this management has been directed to do by ownership is mind numbing. They wasted the last 5 years of down time without doing a real rebuild. Now they are going to try to convince fans that they did a rebuild and that we are on the right path. They have wasted their cap space on plugs and "has-beens" to the point where they barely have enough space to sign one of their young stars.

The one thing that Benning has done well is draft and they have squandered picks on empty dreams and promises. I am at the point where I have to just chuckle and cheer the team on. I have to join the blind minions and hope for the best.

I see improvement in the roster but doubt that this will be anywhere close to a playoff team. This year or next. We are right at the cap limit and don't get much leeway for 3 years.

That’s understandable.   Every team that is spending to the cap has different issues.  Look Detroit’s rebuild over the past five years, they’ve been bumping the cap all along and really don’t have much to show for it.  A few of their ok guys from earlier or there the first part of their rebuild are already gone in Nyqvist and Tatar.   They were also like us, a top team for years that traded away futures for a shot at a cup (at least they won though).   

No cap team doesnt have their issues.  For us I think maybe your catastrophizing things a bit with Boeser, on Monday Benning said they have more then enough for him, and we have close to 30 million off the books when EP and Hughes are due (and of course a lot of other guys to sign as well, but a lot to let go finally as well). 

Anywyas enjoy the team we’ve got, I think you will find there is more to cheer for then your expecting..

edit:  agreed on the forced and created internal 9 million internal cap issue for three years...could be 8 if LE goes to Utica...and it could bring good habits too playing with 10% less then most other cap teams

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 7/11/2019 at 7:21 AM, Samgagner'sface said:

Pretty sure JB has stuck to his plan all along and this is the next phase. Phase 1 was building a new core through the draft. That has been done. Phase 2 is to surround that core with a supporting cast of NHL caliber players. That has been done last year and this year. 

Now the the question is whether it will be good enough as they all grow and mesh together. With the last 6 drafts JB picked what he believed to be the best core he could in respect to balance and skill. Only 1 cup winner per year, so that means 30 (soon to be 31) failures per year and the same amount of incompetent GMs. As fans of the team we now get to see the product GMJB has assembled. Maybe it's good enough. Maybe not. But this is the end of the plan. That doesn't mean there won't be tinkering and growth from prospects too, but it would seem ep40 boeser  Hughes demko and Bo are the core to be built around with Pod gaud woo etc developing as cavalry. Time to ride them horses to see where they take us 

I agree with this.

I also suggest some other things I agreed with Benning on?  I liked the Gudbrandson acquisition. Did not work as well as planned. But that happens...

He was always doing what he thought was best.  Including going ''budget'' a few years, to let the weak stuff make its way through the pantry. Burmistrov was beat out of a job by Megna?  :wacko:   They did not admit they were in rebuild mode. But come on? We signed Matt Bartkowski to replace Bieksa FFS. And we had the start of our lottery picks!

• Upvote 1

On 7/11/2019 at 8:34 AM, Bubble Man said:

Compelling, original, refreshing, inspirational and thought provoking. 

Your sardonic witt has been missed bamba. Take your coat off. Stay a while. All the cool kids are doing it.

Finally, after what seems like an eternity we have a season to look forward to. This looks like a team that should at the very least be entertaining to watch. A nice cigar, a glass of Hennessey and a comfy chair...

29 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Your sardonic witt has been missed bamba. Take your coat off. Stay a while. All the cool kids are doing it.

Finally, after what seems like an eternity we have a season to look forward to. This looks like a team that should at the very least be entertaining to watch. A nice cigar, a glass of Hennessey and a comfy chair...

I look forward to every season. Win or lose I’ve been miserable watching us either completely blow it or just blowing for the majority of the season. Since 1994 when I abandoned the jets and jumped on the Bure train. After 2011 I told myself I would never be optimistic about this team, ever again. Or until at least a month after winning the Stanley cup. Even if they won I’d be paranoid about EP being somehow ineligible kinda like Bobby Boucher on Waterboy. Be like, blood tests confirm EP is of extraterrestrial origin therefore we strip you of the Stanley cup and give it to the Toronto maple leafs. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

I look forward to every season. Win or lose I’ve been miserable watching us either completely blow it or just blowing for the majority of the season. Since 1994 when I abandoned the jets and jumped on the Bure train. After 2011 I told myself I would never be optimistic about this team, ever again. Or until at least a month after winning the Stanley cup. Even if they won I’d be paranoid about EP being somehow ineligible kinda like Bobby Boucher on Waterboy. Be like, blood tests confirm EP is of extraterrestrial origin therefore we strip you of the Stanley cup and give it to the Toronto maple leafs. 

I was born the same year as our favourite team. Cheering them on is all I know.

There is no way we meet the Leaks in the finals. They always lose in the first round.

• Upvote 1