The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THE REBUILD IS OVER

Rate this topic

Zigmund.Palffy

2 hours ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

With the signing of Micheal Ferland, do you think the rebuild is over?

We have a team that can compete for a playoff spot now and we are fairly still young, we have added size, skill and strength throughout the lineup.

what do you guys think?

J.T Miller - Elias Pettersson - Brock Boeser

Micheal Ferland - Bo Horvat - Tanner Pearson

Sven Baertschi - Adam Gaudette - Jake Virtanen

Tyler Motte - Jay Beagle - Josh Leivo

LTIR: Antoine Roussel

SCRATCHES/TRADED: Schaller , Eriksson, Sutter 

Alex Edler - Chris Tanev 

Quinn Hughes - Tyler Myers

Jordie Benn - Troy Stecher

Oscar Fantenberg 

Jacob Markstrom

Thatcher Demko

No more being pushed around! 

I agree but lets not count our chickens before they hatch. 

Come on, is it ever actually “over”?

No. 

Even the good teams are always doing something-rebuilding, it’s just a matter of how much maintenance that separates the degree, I guess. 

Let’s not have Captain Obvious ruin a good vibe here. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 3

If we can shed Eriksson's and Sutter's contracts and add another top 4 RD then I think we can compete for the stanley cup in 2020/21

J.T Miller - Elias Pettersson - Brock Boeser

Micheal Ferland - Bo Horvat - Jake Virtanen

Sven Baertschi - Adam Gaudette - Tanner Pearson

Antoine Roussel - Jay Beagle - ???

Alex Edler -  ??? 

Quinn Hughes - Tyler Myers

Jordie Benn - Troy Stecher

Juolevi 

Jacob Markstrom

Thatcher Demko

Edited by Bure_Pavel

When you get a truly special player like Petey it changes the calculation.  There is a sudden need to show him we are serious. 

Surrounding him with a lot of  size and some skill on the wings is good. 

Still A lot of pieces that have little value that need to be moved. 

May be a deal in place for Ristolainen.

We have a ton of forwards and they have a ton of D. 

I think though when it comes to players like Sutter, Tanev or Baer, trades will need to be mid season to deadline as they need to demonstrate some health and effectiveness. 

I would switch Tanev and Stetcher in the OP’s lineup. The Stetch Edler pairing works really well and Benn and Tanev can do some heavy lifting while Myers and Quinn take the offensive situations. Take some load of Tanev since will be one of primary PKers. 

Bo and Ferland together would be a lot of fun. I hope Pearson has continued to work on skating as it was ugly when he got here but actually Improved in season here (then again maybe I just go used to that ugly stride).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Come on, is it ever actually “over”?

No. 

Even the good teams are always doing something-rebuilding, it’s just a matter of how much maintenance that separates the degree, I guess. 

Let’s not have Captain Obvious ruin a good vibe here. 

This is the same thing I have tried to say to folks/(fill in any unkind word here) for years. Rebuild and retool are the same thing. Purely semantics. Every team tries to "rebuild" every single year.

• Upvote 2

Something this thread, all of a sudden has me thinking about...

Earlier this summer there was a beef with all the attention given to acquiring forwards. Not enough acquisition of defence they said.

But if these forwards work out doesn't that give us the option to trade the overlap of decent forwards there's not a place for, for defence? That would be a good thing, right? Forward thinking, even. No pun intended.

Edited by John_Guest

To be honest, I'm not even sure why we've made our lineup bigger unless the GM thinks that bigger players are less likely to be injured versus smaller players?

Our issues are that we can't score, can't defend, and can't stay healthy.  I don't really remember any game over the past 4-5 seasons where we would lose because we were soft.

If these moves are prep for potential playoff situations where games get tighter and more physical, ok sure.  But we gotta actually have the necessary talent to get there in the first place and I still think we lack a lot of that.

And for anybody questioning my 3 decent player argument, use your heads and think about it.

Out of the bunch, Horvat is far and away the most reliably good player, no complaints there.  To date, Pettersson and Hughes have less than 90 games between them.  Hardly proven even if the future looks highly promising for both.  And when Boeser isn't scoring, he's useless on the ice.  Luckily for us, he scores pretty often so it compensates nicely in his favour.

Everybody else on the team are trenders, tweeners, and sidepieces.  Hardly a bunch of players that you couldn't easily find a replacement for.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

To be honest, I'm not even sure why we've made our lineup bigger unless the GM thinks that bigger players are less likely to be injured versus smaller players?

Our issues are that we can't score, can't defend, and can't stay healthy.  I don't really remember any game over the past 4-5 seasons where we would lose because we were soft.

If these moves are prep for potential playoff situations where games get tighter and more physical, ok sure.  But we gotta actually have the necessary talent to get there in the first place and I still think we lack a lot of that.

We got 81 points last year without these signings and we've improved our team in the skills department since last year. 81 points is nothing to sneeze at and is a lot more than people expected at the start of the year.

So I don't really see where you are coming from in this. Can our defense improve? Of course, but consider that Toronto's defense last year, if take out Reilly, is worse than how our defense is looking this coming year (at least in my opinion on paper. If it's not better it's still pretty similar overall). Toronto hasn't been in a rebuild for a couple of years,

All of what you are saying here, to me, is more about the fine-tuning after the rebuild. To me, the rebuild is about bringing together your core and then after you see where you need to work on and gradually fix those problems whenever the opportunity arises.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

No more f-ing around!

Going after it, hard. 

JB is insulating the skill with character and as much grit and toughness as he can in the modern NHL. 

At the very least, the Canucks will at least lose well. 

Thats all I’ve ever asked for as a fan. 

I dont think I have anything left to complain about. I’ve got my way, basically, as a fan. The team is built pretty much how I like it. I’m a happy fan! 

Well said. JB cannot work work miracles. He is still constrained by the CBA, previous contracts, UFA desires and Player Agents.... but within all those, he is icing a team i am genuinely excited to see. Way to Be JB!

• Cheers 2

I'm thinking of it more as our window is opening to the first phase of the new era. The Miller, Myers, and Ferland signings take us to the next level between 4-5 years.

Within those years, we'll see the return of Tryamkin, Gaudette and JV take the next steps, the emergence of guys lke Brisebois, Rafferty, Teves, etc.

By the end of those years, we'll see a another phase of youth emerge in Podkolzin, Hoglander, DiPietro, et al.

I'm guessing Boeser's term will be in the vicinity of 4-5 years as well.

10 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

We had a Calder finalist last year, a Calder winner this year and have a Calder candidate for next year. That means 3 pieces of our core are among the top talent in the league in their age group. 

If we lack the necessary talent that would mean the young core that has been built isn't good enough. You can only have so many superstars on a team now making elite money with the cap. Are petey boeser and Hughes not good enough? If that's the case we should start over now because It would seem GMJB has decided they will be that core along with Horvat and demko and maybe gaudette podzolkin joulevi tryamkin depending on their development.  We likely wouldn't be able to afford to pay many more big time players Than that,  so the rest of the roster it would seem will be filled with what he's filled it with,  which is role players, and I think he's done a good job of that too. 

I like the team that he's built and can't wait to cheer for them this October. 

• Cheers 2

With these moves JB is clearly drawing a line in the sand on what this teams focus is in the upcoming season.

Unlike in the past, playoffs is the goal and there’s no confusing what we will be trying to accomplish. Good on Jim for committing.  Fingers crossed it turns out. If it doesn’t he likely isn’t around but that’s the tight rope walk of running a team in the NHL. 

• Upvote 2