Sign in to follow this  
WalkWithElias40

THE REBUILD IS OVER

Rate this topic

50 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Rebuilds should never be over. We should always be focusing on replenishment. Throwing all your chips in now is what got us in a bind in the first place.  

I think your point is more important than one may realize. A team needs to keep improving and making tough decisions on their growth. 

A tough choice will be Jake Virtanen. I'm not having any problems in the recent movement but know complacency is just around the corner. 

• Upvote 2

Haven't scanned/scrolled everywhere(threads are wildfire today)..but I think it's worth remembering: every signing/improvement is increasing odds that TBay might not get a good pick from us.

When the whining b*stards were all over Jimbo, they couldn't have factored in all of the subsequent changes. All we need to do is make the PO's once(next 2 yrs) & this new team(we have here) is golden!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Not even close.  Outside of Hughes, we have barely any good defenders in the system.  Juolevi/Woo could be something but who knows.  No decent forward prospects outside of Podkolzin (two years anyway) and Hoglander.  Goaltending is above average so maybe we can move somebody out to fix defence or forwards.

It's a step in the direction by making playoffs but this team still has many holes and issues all around.

With incoming depth improving into next year and beyond.  This team is well stocked and beyond clearing out the rubbish, well on it's way to becoming a west coast contender.  

They have 'fixed' all their problem areas with veteran players and incoming talent (Hughes, OJ and Demko).  

Under 25 talent not on our current roster.  

Underselling OJ and Woo.  

Both are blue chip top 4 d men.  Trymakin is available to come back next year. 

Plus interesting guys like Utunen and Rathboone.  

Podz and Hogs are both blue chip guys, along with Madden and Lockwood.  

Keppen and Malone were very savvy picks.  

Lind is and was poised to bounce back.  Gads also finished his rookie pro year on an up swing.  

McEwan looks ready.  

Dipeitro is an ahler now.  

That's just naming guys not yet on the roster.  Include like Hughes, Pettersson, Bo, Gaudette, Virtannen, Boeser, Stecher, Demko who are under 25 and are roster players.  

This team is going to improve during the season. Because the core group of top players have not even begun to show how good they can be yet.  

They just got a ton of support.  

This team is going to pass other teams.  Not one team in the west besides Colorado has improved as much as Vancouver this off season.  

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

On a deep team, I doubt there’s room for any more project players, which, strictly going by the odds, several of those players are and will be.

You left out Gadjo. 

Do you mean project or prospect? If you really mean project you have a strange definition from I understand it to mean. Deep teams at the NHL level tend to get thinned out at lower levels because they generally pick deep in the draft. Many, in the past, have picked undrafted juniors and college players to supplement for the lack of high picks - ‘longshots’ perhaps or prospects with talent but some obvious flaws that they hope to coach them out of would be considered ‘projects’.

3 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

The rebuild isn't over but Benning just abandoned it to save his job.

Just watch he will now sell out more of the future to correct his mistakes, Eriksson will cost a 1rst round pick and he wil pay it because he HAS to make the playoffs so he can get a job somewhere else.

Just wait IF the team manages to get a wild card spot they will be annihilated by one of the two top teams, even if bigger.

Benning's clock is running out.

How anyone thinks two scorers in Pettersson and Boeser with Hughes end a rebuild, well then every team in the league is rebuiding every year because many have young players and those with legit proven superstars just keep on trucking along.

I really really want to keep complaining like this.  Especially with OPs titled things like "Benning is doing an amazing job!".  Just to balance out the rewriting of history. JB and Aquilini have probably delayed the season when we will finally lift the Cup by a few years. But it is what it is now. The past is the past. Well, other than the problems of too many mediocre forwards that no one else wants, and of course Eriksson. And we have to make room for Boeser.   STOP Kilgore!   Must...look.....forward.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

With these moves JB is clearly drawing a line in the sand on what this teams focus is in the upcoming season.

Unlike in the past, playoffs is the goal and there’s no confusing what we will be trying to accomplish. Good on Jim for committing.  Fingers crossed it turns out. If it doesn’t he likely isn’t around but that’s the tight rope walk of running a team in the NHL. 

I also appreciate JB has finally made it clear. We are going all the way this season baby! Or at least contending with a stable of new eager signings. Way too many of Jim's years of  confusion about just what was our goal? Rebuild or playoffs? Which seemed to change depending on how well we were doing.

But I'm on board. Glass half full now. Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

You know who else loves that lineup?  Travis Green.  

I'h really into the trickle down effect as well.

Fourth line evolves into a potential scoring line.

We trim the fat by default. 

No more fringe minor leaguers playing in the top nine.

18 legit NHLers with size, snarl and some speed.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, bad alice french said:

I'h really into the trickle down effect as well.

Fourth line evolves into a potential scoring line.

We trim the fat by default. 

No more fringe minor leaguers playing in the top nine.

18 legit NHLers with size, snarl and some speed.

Which makes a team that is hard to play against.  :frantic:

• Hydration 2

I was excited last year about our chances to make the playoffs and then the pre-season tempered it a bit and I knew we would be in a fight for playoffs. And fight we did but the schedule was stacked against us and cost us injuries.

At this point I am over the moon with what JB is laying down and we still have prospect coming and picks and assets to trade.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I've missed you LaBamba ;)

What 'chips' exactly have we thrown in? Signing good, below market contracts to useful players hardly seems like a waste or a burning through of assets. We still have prospects, lots of future picks, solid cap positioning and an increasing amount of available assets to return further futures.

I'm having trouble seeing where the sky is falling.

I guess I should have explained myself better. I was generalizing. I wasn’t specifically talking about our team. I was more referring to that method of investing everything now. Good management plans for this season and the season 5 years from now simultaneously. 

2 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

I guess I should have explained myself better. I was generalizing. I wasn’t specifically talking about our team. I was more referring to that method of investing everything now. Good management plans for this season and the season 5 years from now simultaneously. 

And what makes you think they aren't?

That they planned over the last 5 years to have a steady stream of vets expiring as ELC's expire over the next few years (with more ELC'S coming in behind them)?

'Dim-Jim' is 'dim' like a fox.

I love the Ferland signing, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the rebuild, unless we move him for a pick or prospect down the line, which is entirely likely.

We still need to find our top pairing right pairing D to play with Hughes for the next decade or so. After that, yeah, I'll say the rebuild is over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aqua59 said:

I think your point is more important than one may realize. A team needs to keep improving and making tough decisions on their growth. 

A tough choice will be Jake Virtanen. I'm not having any problems in the recent movement but know complacency is just around the corner. 

5 years is the minimum time required to make an assessment of anything really. A draft, a general manager, a trade, a divorce, an investment, a career choice the list goes on. IMO, we aren’t going to be surprised by Jake’s upside. We have seen flashes of his potential but he is pretty thoroughly assessed. I was actually one of the very few who was happy to pick JV. Seen him live in Calgary a few times during his draft year. The games that I caught were some of the most dominant displays I have ever seen in the WHL. He looked satanic out there. Shot the puck so damn hard. Drank goats blood out of a lead chalice during intermission. Unfortunately he looks like he could be the odd man out, very sad for me. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And what makes you think they aren't?

That they planned over the last 5 years to have a steady stream of vets expiring as ELC's expire over the next few years (with more ELC'S coming in behind them)?

'Dim-Jim' is 'dim' like a fox.

I think a rule of thumb should be to never trade a 1st until you know where you are picking/ who you could be picking. There is almost nothing that could make me forgive Jim for that. I thought those days were over, I honestly don’t even want to talk about it. It pisses me off so much. 

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We still need to find our top pairing right pairing D to play with Hughes for the next decade or so. After that, yeah, I'll say the rebuild is over. 

Nailed it better than Jesus on Easter. 

Summers are great

We can overhype our team and all our prospects.  Right now our club is in first place next year as we haven't lost a single game .....

I love summer 

• Haha 2

As optimistic as I am that we are now a playoff team, I wouldn't say the rebuild is over.

Miller and Ferland will bring much needed support and size to our top 6 - though they are hardly stars. I do think we will be relying on Hoglander or Poldkozin to turn out to be hard player and high scoring guys for us because I don't think we are -quite- there.

On the D front, Hughes will make a big difference as well as Edler if he plays like he did last season.  But I still feel we are lacking a star back there to put up some 50-60 points.

Overall though, I am thrilled with our roster changes and am really looking forward to October.

• Upvote 2

As Edler and Tanev leave the team we'll need 2 of Juolevi, Woo, Rathbone to eventually replace them and be a little better than Edler/Tanev have been.  Same goes with the pool of Lind, Madden, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Gaudette will need to replace and be better than Pearson, Sutter and Baertschi as they exit.  If this happens then I will be convinced the rebuild is complete.

34 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

I think a rule of thumb should be to never trade a 1st until you know where you are picking/ who you could be picking. There is almost nothing that could make me forgive Jim for that. I thought those days were over, I honestly don’t even want to talk about it. It pisses me off so much my bubble burst. 

FIFY

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

Agree with this.

Although the team has taken a step forward on the roster, they need to continue to accumulate picks/prospects. Ideally, we won't need to trade them for roster help going forward.

I think with the lack of D depth in the system, they should continue to stock via the NCAA/euro route. Rafferty and Teves were a nice start, but I would have liked for them to also go for a more offensive puck-moving D, such as Oliwer Kaski (signed by Detroit), or Tony Sund (signed by San Jose). And with no D from this past draft, they should be the priority in 2020.

5 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Not even close.  Outside of Hughes, we have barely any good defenders in the system.  Juolevi/Woo could be something but who knows.  No decent forward prospects outside of Podkolzin (two years anyway) and Hoglander.  Goaltending is above average so maybe we can move somebody out to fix defence or forwards.

It's a step in the direction by making playoffs but this team still has many holes and issues all around.

You guys bring up a very good point. Our forwards are pretty good, in my opinion, with recent Hobey Baker winner Adam Gaudette, the 2019 10th overall pick Vasili Podkolzin, Nils Hoglander, who some thought he would be going in the latter half of the first round, and Tyler Madden, who outscored 2018 first round picks Oliver Wahlstrom and Jay O'Brien in their rookie NCAA seasons. Gaudette, Podkolzin, Hoglander, and Madden all have the potential to be Top-6 forwards, with Podkolzin potentially having superstar status if he really does reach his ceiling.

I would argue that our goaltending pipeline is our real strength. We have Demko in the backup spot right now and both DiPietro and Kielly turning pro. Either Demko or DiPietro could be elite goaltenders. People sleep on Kielly, who had exceptional numbers in the NCAA. In his sophomore year Kielly averaged 1.82 GAA with a 0.929 SVS%, and in his junior year he averaged a 1.91 GAA with a 0.929 SVS%, both over 39 game seasons.

Our real weakness is on the blueline. Juolevi and Woo could be Top-4 defensemen but who knows. Tryamkin looked good in his time with us and could be a Top-4 defenseman but it is not guaranteed that he would even sign another NHL contract. More work definitely needs to be done filling that cupboard, and although most people think draft it can also be done via trade or free agency as well. Looking at NCAA and European free agents is an interesting option and one that Benning has exercised already. Hopefully with the "Pettersson Factor" we'll be able to attract more highly sought-after NCAA and European free agent defensemen.