The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THE REBUILD IS OVER

Rate this topic

Zigmund.Palffy

Bit early to be saying that imo. At the very least we'll need to make the playoffs before I say that. At worst it's plateaued. 

We're built in a fashion that we should compete for the playoffs but making it isn't the slam dunk some folks are making it out to be. We've had horrible injury luck for ages, it derailed last season and could happen again. Every other team in the division will be gunning to make it too and who knows how they do. Our D should be better but we've got questions marks there too. Can Marky get back to playing how we played the final three or so months of the season? Can Demko build his game and be a solid backup capable of winning games? We'll see. 

Biggest questions marks for me are health (especially on the back end and in net), Markstrom's level of play and what we get in Myers/Hughes. 

until the aquilinis own this team. and their priority remains playoff revenue....

this team will keep chasing its tail for another 50 cup-less years.  

the worst types of sports owners are the ones that see it as a business (Rather then a side hobby, passion). 

if this team had gone thru a proper rebuild that the whole world was calling for in the Tortorella era.... we would be a cup contender by now. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sam13371337 said:

until the aquilinis own this team. and their priority remains playoff revenue....

this team will keep chasing its tail for another 50 cup-less years.  

the worst types of sports owners are the ones that see it as a business (Rather then a side hobby, passion). 

if this team had gone thru a proper rebuild that the whole world was calling for in the Tortorella era.... we would be a cup contender by now. 

um.... okay then....

Sorry, I just can't take this kind of opinion seriously. It's like being in some world of ideals and pissed off at the weather outside not being sunshine and rainbows even when the weather's actually decent....

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

um.... okay then....

Sorry, I just can't take this kind of opinion seriously. It's like being in some world of ideals and pissed off at the weather outside not being sunshine and rainbows even when the weather's actually decent....

I really don't understand what your talking about...    

Yes and no. Yes, we have a competitive team and I am super high on EVERYONE on this team, super homer. I think everyone will compliment each other next year. I bet Petey and Brock hit 40 goals, Bo has a solid 30 goal campaign and everyone has career years because of the solid group around them.

Heres why I said no: The rebuild should never be over. Always think about the future and how balanced your prospect pool is before mortgaging the future.

We pick up Nils and Vasili from the draft, one could have gone top 3 other one top 20. Do I mind that we traded an upcoming first for JT Miller? No, we have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, and we can afford J.T. 

But man, we've got a solid team and I know I can make a case for most of our players having career years next year.

I think Bo finished with 27 last year on a no-playoff team. He could hit 30 easily with a full season beside TP and Miller/MF(MF:bigblush:)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

I think a rule of thumb should be to never trade a 1st until you know where you are picking/ who you could be picking. There is almost nothing that could make me forgive Jim for that. I thought those days were over, I honestly don’t even want to talk about it. It pisses me off so much. 

I think he's pretty confident it will be a playoff pick one of the next two years.

You also miss 100% of the shots you don't take ;)

• Upvote 2

i like the Ferland signing but we needed and still starving for a real top 6 guy (not a 40pts guy) to play with Horvat.

hope we will make room by trading Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Schaller and even Baertschi.  the cheap option (aka 4M top) would be Gusev. 
A Ferland Horvat Gusev line would be the perfect combinaison of skill, speed and grit.

i'm not satisfy yet, we're still in the middle pack.

9 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

The rebuild isn't over but Benning just abandoned it to save his job.

Just watch he will now sell out more of the future to correct his mistakes, Eriksson will cost a 1rst round pick and he wil pay it because he HAS to make the playoffs so he can get a job somewhere else.

Just wait IF the team manages to get a wild card spot they will be annihilated by one of the two top teams, even if bigger.

Benning's clock is running out.

How anyone thinks two scorers in Pettersson and Boeser with Hughes end a rebuild, well then every team in the league is rebuiding every year because many have young players and those with legit proven superstars just keep on trucking along.

This rebuild needed at the very least one more good draft year more likely two, two more seasons at the rate JB has dragged it out.

Pretty much draw a line and every prospect isn't good enough.

You're like Bizarro Apollo

Our defense could use an actual stud still, and I think we still need a legit top 3 winger. Definitely an improvement and not so much a stop gap team anymore but there are still pieces to be added (and contracts to be removed)

We are in a two-year window where the roster should be fairly static, as we don't have many RFAs due for re-signing after this season.  There may be some attrition from prospects making the lineup, but other than possible trades there may not be many changes until after the following season, when it's time to re-sign Petey and Hughes.

I think it is a little early to go all in yet. However , I say now that they have started going down this road they must give it their best shot. It would be nice if they would not move anymore firsts and hopefully hang onto picks in the top three rounds. As long as they can continue to add each year to their prospect pool. As long as they continue to develop players in Utica then we shouldn't see a drastic decline if some of these moves don't work like we all hope.

There is risk to what they are doing here. On paper things always look good but it ill come down to chemistry and players health.   

5 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Do we need one more high end guy to compete? With this roster I am afraid we might be a first or second round team even if we manage to sneak in (which is no easy task). 

Maybe LE will respond to having better players to play with.

5 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Do we need one more high end guy to compete? With this roster I am afraid we might be a first or second round team even if we manage to sneak in (which is no easy task). 

That's pretty much how the majority of cup winners go.  They get in and lose in the 1st or second round for a season or two, then maybe conference finals, then they use that experience to get over the hump.

• Cheers 2