The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Leafs have improved the most of any Canadian team this summer

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

You kind of missed a key caveat in the article:

"This is not an order of strength heading into 2019-20"

That said, still an awful take. If anything they've got worse and when you analyze their transactions in a vacuum, they are average at best.

In: Barrie, Kerfoot, Ceci, Spezza

Out: Gardiner, Kadri, Marleau, Brown, Zaitsev, 1st

Wow I forgot they added spezza.  He is such useless addition.

• Cheers 1

My favourite part is " the Tyler Myers deal (tradeable in the final year)".  Guess they missed the fine print where the NMC becomes M-NMC after the 1st year.  After this season he has a 10 team no trade contract.  That's pretty freaking generous, I'd say.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

My favourite part is " the Tyler Myers deal (tradeable in the final year)".  Guess they missed the fine print where the NMC becomes M-NMC after the 1st year.  After this season he has a 10 team no trade contract.  That's pretty freaking generous, I'd say.  

They seem to only understand that you can only move a player along with their 1st rounder and only then is it a genius move.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Are we really surprised?

These are the same people that praised Shanahan and Dubas for the perfect rebuild.

Yet here we are after one season of them being a fringe contender and they’ve done little to improve their chances.

Their D is pretty good in the short term but a mess long term. They have very little in terms of high end prospects. They’re in serious cap trouble and are at risk of losing one of their best players. Plus they also somehow got easier to play against.

So in their minds a perfect rebuild involves getting three high end players in the draft, signing a huge ticket free agent, getting yourself into cap trouble, shortening your window, drafting poorly and giving up picks to dump bad contracts.

Did I miss anything?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

They still have only one defenseman capable of playing NHL quality defense, no checking line, and one of the softest teams in the history of the league.  Add in a full season of the laziest floater in the league, as opposed to benefiting from Nylander holding out and not embarrassing the team with his pitiful effort for half the season, and it's pretty clear this isn't an improvement.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-off-season-power-rankings-free-agents-signings-draft-picks-trades-2019/

Leafs at 8th overall - improved the most among Canadian franchises.

image.jpeg.24ca986c34a4505ee659b866b85bcabe.jpeg

Did losing K Leonard from the 'Raptors hurt so much that they had to invent a Leaf's feel good story even when there is not support for such?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The Leafs finished with 100 points this past season.

Let's see how much they "improve" upon that this season.

Doesn’t matter how many points they finish with if they can’t win a playoff series.

Did anything they do so far help their chances of beating Boston?

• Cheers 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Doesn’t matter how many points they finish with if they can’t win a playoff series.

I actually can't wait to see our team likely bullying them when we play.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

At this point I'm not even sure they could beat us in a playoff series.

• Haha 1

Just now, The Lock said:

I actually can't wait to see our team likely bullying them when we play.

Kadri was the last real deterrent they had.

Rielly and Barrie will do their best but my guess is they’re going to get run over by bigger teams.

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

toronto maple leafs carlton the bear GIF by NHL

That's Carlton the Bear.  He's their mascot.  He's super and he's anthropomorphic according to the leafs website.

image.png.8dad90f6535c531e11b91b4f5262a1b3.png

He drew this picture of a Maple Leaf:

image.png.c6be77b92782fbfca638f78da2010ad0.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

That's Carlton the Bear.  He's their mascot.  He's super and he's anthropomorphic according to the leafs website.

image.png.8dad90f6535c531e11b91b4f5262a1b3.png

He drew this picture of a Maple Leaf:

image.png.c6be77b92782fbfca638f78da2010ad0.png

Better not get him to draw the Blackhawks logo. :ph34r:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, cdubuya said:

Or maybe you are just a bitter Canucks homer who will take any opportunity to take a jab at the Leafs / TSN.

Well done - you beat some other notorious Leaf-fluffers in here with your fake sensitivity - that a CDCer would take a jab at poor "Canada's team" / the "Stanley Cup favoritez".

Image result for alzner lucic gif

Or your favorite Sports Network - (btw, you're wrong here - this Leafblowing is straight outta Rogers LeafsNet).

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

At this point I'm not even sure they could beat us in a playoff series.

They’re built as a regular season team.

Enough points in the lineup to get them to the playoffs but they don’t have the personnel to adapt to tougher grinding games.

The question for the Canucks will be do they have enough points in the lineup to make the playoffs. That remains to be seen.

If they make it though I absolutely like the way they’re built for playoffs. Much better suited than the Leafs.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1