The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Leafs have improved the most of any Canadian team this summer

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

last time those idiots traded away a 1st round pick it was actually a top 2 pick and a top 9 pick.   

not to mention they didn't trade the pick for something. We at least have J.T Miller in his prime.  They got nothing for it, intact the trade was for another team to do em favor which is buy out Marleau.  What a gong show. 

I'm not sure they're as good as they think they are either - I would not be shocked if they regress this year - and the gamble they took on that pick being a late one may not be as safe as they anticipate.

7 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

last time those idiots traded away a 1st round pick it was actually a top 2 pick and a top 9 pick.   

not to mention they didn't trade the pick for something. We at least have J.T Miller in his prime.  They got nothing for it, intact the trade was for another team to do em favor which is buy out Marleau.  What a gong show. 

This is an excellent point.  We actually got a top 6 forward in his prime for a first round pick.  Not a bad deal at all.  The Leaves on the other had traded a first round pick not even for a player at all, simply for cap space.  One of the worst trades this year really, especially if that pick ends up top 10.  If it somehow becomes the first overall pick it could end up being the worst trade in NHL history.  But those Leaves have had an excellent offseason eh?  :lol:

I would absolutely give up winning the lottery to see the Leafs miss the playoffs and win the lottery with the pick they gave away to free up cap space.

Who needs Lafreniere when I can have Schadenfreude?

2 hours ago, mephnick said:

I would absolutely give up winning the lottery to see the Leafs miss the playoffs and win the lottery with the pick they gave away to free up cap space.

Who needs Lafreniere when I can have Schadenfreude?

Their pick is lottery protected 

On 7/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, cdubuya said:

Or maybe you are just a bitter Canucks homer who will take any opportunity to take a jab at the Leafs / TSN. Something tells me they will be just fine next year with Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Reilly, and Barrie as their foundational skaters. Problem for them is there are a lot of very talented teams out there. I personally have no problem with the article. I can't pinpoint 1 other Canadian team who improved more. Quantity does not supplant Quality. Barrie on the leafs > Myers, Ferly, and Miller on the Canucks... who I would agree were the team who improved the next most

Ooh I am so jealous of the Maple Leafs. I heard a rumour that Mr Kyle Dubas and Cap master Gilman have hatched a cleaver plot to get under the cap to free up the bucks to sign Marner.

The team will dress one skater under the limit and whoever isn’t playing in goal will “play out”.  Right now that guy, could play in the top six; if not the top four. The two goalies combined might lead the team in blocked shots, and would be right up their among the leaders in hits.

Problem solved. 

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2019 at 1:13 PM, theo5789 said:

I read about some feud too. Makes you wonder why they simply didn't add Kapanen as a sweetener to offload Zaitsev. Have to wonder if they are exploring trading Matthews as he may become a headcase in the future (I get the impression he's likely the problem).

They could probably find a legit 2nd line centerman that would come at a cheaper price which will help along extending their other players.

Derek Stepan :frantic:

On 7/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, Hutton Wink said:

And now, in the midst of their Marner angst and Kawhi grief, Leaf fans are doubling-down:

Worried About the Leafs? Buddy, Just Take a Look at What the Canucks are Doing

"Kyle Dubas happens to be one of those smart GMs. Jim Benning, well, is not."

https://theleafsnation.com/2019/07/10/worried-about-the-leafs-buddy-just-take-a-look-at-what-the-canucks-are-doing/

Tonnes of gold in there, Jerry, but this is perhaps the topper:

"And yet here the Benning Canucks are, inching closer and closer to the $81.5 million ceiling by the day with a roster that screams, at best, “first-round exit”."

Cannabis legalization gaining a strong foothold in the TO media. 

Like some chocolate to go with that koolaid fellas? 

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, cdubuya said:

Or maybe you are just a bitter Canucks homer who will take any opportunity to take a jab at the Leafs / TSN. Something tells me they will be just fine next year with Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Reilly, and Barrie as their foundational skaters. Problem for them is there are a lot of very talented teams out there. I personally have no problem with the article. I can't pinpoint 1 other Canadian team who improved more. Quantity does not supplant Quality. Barrie on the leafs > Myers, Ferly, and Miller on the Canucks... who I would agree were the team who improved the next most

Where's Marner? And since when Nylander is a foundational player? :frantic:

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The Bruins are the ape, the Leafs are the snake...

That could just as easily apply to us and I frigging hate giving the Bruins any credit. I would rather make fun of the Leafs for getting eliminated in the first round three years in a row.

Seems the sentiment and media are starting to turn on Marner. "Leafs have done all they can to clear cap room for Marner?" Give me a break. You hand out big contracts to JT and Mathews and Nylander and then expect Marner to take a home town discount? Dubas has cleared barely 10 million for Marner but he is worth more than that compared to his teammates. I hope Marner sticks to his guns on this one. 

Leafs picked up some former Sens in Ceci and Spezza. Oh yeah, they're gonna be great lol

Sure, they get Barrie for one year, but sadly for them, this isn't the year they are in a position to win it all. They lost some offence and whatever little grit they had. 

Dubas isn't fooling me with his smart-looking glasses.  

I wonder, is Babcock being exposed as a coach who has been undesdervedly put on a pedestal?

Babcock's always been given great teams to coach, whether it's DET in their heyday, or Team Canada, etc. It's always been a pretty stacked team for him, and he's benefitted with a real good record throughout his career. But the last 4 years he's coached a fairly stacked team on paper that's been lacking and even he can't get them to win (playoffs). And this is a team with Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Rielly. 

Is Babcock over-rated as a coach?

TOR arrogance (taken from an article by Leaf's writer, Michael Traikos, on June 18):

I got laughed at when I voted for Jordan Binnington ahead of Elias Pettersson to win the Calder Trophy back in April. Guess who's got the last laugh now? 

Well, Michael, it looks like Elias and all of the Canucks fans actually had the last laugh.

• Haha 2