Sign in to follow this  
oldnews

The Leafs have improved the most of any Canadian team this summer

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

TOR arrogance (taken from an article by Leaf's writer, Michael Traikos, on June 18):

 

I got laughed at when I voted for Jordan Binnington ahead of Elias Pettersson to win the Calder Trophy back in April. Guess who's got the last laugh now? 
 

 

Well, Michael, it looks like Elias and all of the Canucks fans actually had the last laugh.

Assuming he thinks he has the last laugh because Binnington won the Cup?  That just proves he doesn't deserve a vote since the Calder is based only on regular season. Idiot should check the voting parameters

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 11:57 PM, PistolPete13 said:

Ooh I am so jealous of the Maple Leafs. I heard a rumour that Mr Kyle Dubas and Cap master Gilman have hatched a cleaver plot to get under the cap to free up the bucks to sign Marner.

Latest word from a Leaf's blogger is to grab some league-minimum players or PTOs by enticing them with the opportunity to play with Matthews or Tavares.  But apparently they are real serious about this upcoming season, major changes happening:

 

 

But what would Leafs news be without shortage of facts...

 

Quote

"Nylander wore #39 when recalled from the AHL in 2016, but changed to #29 the last two seasons, but is switching to 88 (last worn by Eric Lindros in 2006), which is the number he wore when playing for MODO in the SHL."

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Latest word from a Leaf's blogger is to grab some league-minimum players or PTOs by enticing them with the opportunity to play with Matthews or Tavares.  But apparently they are real serious about this upcoming season, major changes happening:

 

 

 

But what would Leafs news be without shortage of facts...

 

 

He’s trying to summon the Hockey Gaud!

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Latest word from a Leaf's blogger is to grab some league-minimum players or PTOs by enticing them with the opportunity to play with Matthews or Tavares.  But apparently they are real serious about this upcoming season, major changes happening:

 

 

 

But what would Leafs news be without shortage of facts...

 

 

He's trying to get word out so Andersen knows who the hell he is.  Doubtful any Leafs' netminder could pick that lazy floater out of a police lineup.  88 is easier for a goalie to see from the other team's blueline.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Leafs picked up some former Sens in Ceci and Spezza. Oh yeah, they're gonna be great lol

 

Sure, they get Barrie for one year, but sadly for them, this isn't the year they are in a position to win it all. They lost some offence and whatever little grit they had. 

 

Dubas isn't fooling me with his smart-looking glasses.  

 

if we only compare the players acquired by the leafs and the canucks in the offseason

there might not be much to choose between them in terms of who in fact did better

they both acquired some decent talent

 

but let's also look at what each team lost

nucks, other then hutton, really lost no one (schenn and granlund were fringe/bubble players)

laffs gave up 2 dmen from their roster last season, and lost kadri, and marleau

they lost real talent and depth from their roster

the nucks added way more depth, mostly at the cost of ufa money (jt was the 1st round trade deal)

 

i think those looking at the leafs offseason

ignore the depletions to their roster and only focus on the additions

 

Edited by coastal.view

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

I like how in the Canucks one in that article it says,

 

"We’ll withhold final judgment here, however, until we see Brock Boeser’s contract.".

 

 

But it doesn't say that in the Leafs one about Marner.

 

 

Lol yep first thing i noticed too.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legend had it(ever classy) Lindros spat a mouthful of beer on some ordinary gal, in a dance club(early 90's). If memory serves, she had the audacity to think she could actually talk with him, so the tale went... Princess Willy better watch out if big Eric is ever hanging out with his tribe, especially in a drinking establishment. Imagine wearing the number 88 of the acclaimed "Next One"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a dream... That one day... All Canadian hockey fans can coexist and focus all of our negativity on American teams. 

 

Because no American fans deserve the glory of winning the cup. 

 

But yea leafs fans blow and the media really pushes them down our throats. 

 

Nothing worse than California fans, New York, Pittsburg, Chicago, Colorado, Florida, Dallas ... (no real fans) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, apollo said:

I have a dream... That one day... All Canadian hockey fans can coexist and focus all of our negativity on American teams. 

 

Because no American fans deserve the glory of winning the cup. 

 

But yea leafs fans blow and the media really pushes them down our throats. 

 

Nothing worse than California fans, New York, Pittsburg, Chicago, Colorado, Florida, Dallas ... (no real fans) 

come on apollo

fans are fans

they do what they do

if there are no fans of other teams

there are no other teams

and then there is no league

you want to watch a canuck team that only holds practices ?

 

you want the khl

or some european league to expand into north america

and scoop up all the canadian players

to play in the best league in the world ?

 

the nhl may be flawed

but it is our league

it's what made canadian hockey great

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

come on apollo

fans are fans

they do what they do

if there are no fans of other teams

there are no other teams

and then there is no league

you want to watch a canuck team that only holds practices ?

 

you want the khl

or some european league to expand into north america

and scoop up all the canadian players

to play in the best league in the world ?

 

the nhl may be flawed

but it is our league

it's what made canadian hockey great

I see what you're saying but it disgusts me that BC bred boys like Colorado Joe will sell their Canadian citizenship and play their entire career for a dumpster like Colorado. 

 

I want loyal Canadian players that care about their cities teams and most importantly the fans. 

 

There's no reason a bunch of Canadians should help dumpster teams like Pittsburg, st Louis, LA, etc win cups. 

 

Canada > USA 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Assuming he thinks he has the last laugh because Binnington won the Cup?  That just proves he doesn't deserve a vote since the Calder is based only on regular season. Idiot should check the voting parameters

Not to mention Binnington was entirely average during the Cup run. A couple decent games but very "meh" stats overall. He could very well be the next Ward or Niemi. The Blues were juggernaut-ing that playoffs with Binnington or not.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, apollo said:

I see what you're saying but it disgusts me that BC bred boys like Colorado Joe will sell their Canadian citizenship and play their entire career for a dumpster like Colorado. 

 

I want loyal Canadian players that care about their cities teams and most importantly the fans. 

 

There's no reason a bunch of Canadians should help dumpster teams like Pittsburg, st Louis, LA, etc win cups. 

 

Canada > USA 

 

 

um apollo

please live in reality

 

there is an nhl draft

joe was drafted in an nhl draft

he had no say

but his team was good and won cups

he was named captain, was loyal, and stayed

 

he did not sell his canadian citizenship

he played for canada when asked to

 

not really sure how your hope for a different reality

can ever actually be real

i suggest you try to live in this world

and accept the things the seem to mostly function adequately

or you might end up with the world of hurt of your own making

 

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

um apollo

please live in reality

 

there is an nhl draft

joe was drafted in an nhl draft

he had no say

but his team was good and won cups

he was named captain, was loyal, and stayed

 

he did not sell his canadian citizenship

he played for canada when asked to

 

not really sure how your hope for a different reality

can ever actually be real

i suggest you try to live in this world

and accept the things the seem to mostly function adequately

or you might end up with the world of hurt of your own making

 

Yeah, it's not like he's Brett Hull or someone who's actually a traitor to his country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

um apollo

please live in reality

 

there is an nhl draft

joe was drafted in an nhl draft

he had no say

but his team was good and won cups

he was named captain, was loyal, and stayed

 

he did not sell his canadian citizenship

he played for canada when asked to

 

not really sure how your hope for a different reality

can ever actually be real

i suggest you try to live in this world

and accept the things the seem to mostly function adequately

or you might end up with the world of hurt of your own making

 

That's a fair opinion... But idc what the situation, I'd %100 find a way to sign with the Canucks if I was a guy like sakic. 

 

I know it's easy to say considering I'm not even in the NHL... But those are my morals. Give back to the city that made you. 

 

He tormented this team and our fans for almost 2 decades. The least he coulda done was play here near the end of his career. 

 

That's my 2 cents. I'm not gonna like him ever. With great power comes great responsibility. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apollo said:

That's a fair opinion... But idc what the situation, I'd %100 find a way to sign with the Canucks if I was a guy like sakic. 

 

I know it's easy to say considering I'm not even in the NHL... But those are my morals. Give back to the city that made you. 

 

He tormented this team and our fans for almost 2 decades. The least he coulda done was play here near the end of his career. 

 

That's my 2 cents. I'm not gonna like him ever. With great power comes great responsibility. 

 

Can't hold it against the guy for staying with one franchise for his whole career; that's loyalty and is rare in this league.  Did Mario Lemieux owe Montreal a short stint near the end of his career?   Would you expect the Sedins to play a year in Sweden because they owed it to their hometown?  You must think Tavares is the greatest thing since sliced bread since he chose to go home to Toronto.

 

Sakic's so respected around the league that Sean Avery's teammates on the Wings told him to tone down the trash talk towards him at the height of the rivalry.  Absolute class act.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 8:00 PM, Alflives said:

The Leafs be like:

0D600ECD-E85B-4B7E-AB1B-B7492C86219F.jpeg

Looks like a Leaf blower.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 8:12 PM, cdubuya said:

Barrie on the leafs > Myers, Ferly, and Miller on the Canucks

Explain how Barrie is so much more than Gardiner whereas those additions in Vancouver were things the Canucks did not have?    Barrie is a legit NHL player for sure but his pros and cons are pretty similar to Gardiner with the exception that Jake Gardiner is 6'2" and about 210 lbs and Barrie is 5'10" and 190 lbs.   Tyson has a slight advantage in points per game played in NHL but Gardiner has been far better defensively (pretty much any stat).    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Explain how Barrie is so much more than Gardiner whereas those additions in Vancouver were things the Canucks did not have?    Barrie is a legit NHL player for sure but his pros and cons are pretty similar to Gardiner with the exception that Jake Gardiner is 6'2" and about 210 lbs and Barrie is 5'10" and 190 lbs.   Tyson has a slight advantage in points per game played in NHL but Gardiner has been far better defensively (pretty much any stat).    

Neither are capable of playing in their own end at an NHL level.  Swapped out one defensive liability for another and got rid of their most physical forward to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.