Sign in to follow this  
aqua59

Thoughts on how Vancouver stacks up to division rivals

Rate this topic

I noticed a far more comprehensive thread than this. i didn't see it below. 

Aside from Vegas and Sanjose they’ve got a good a chance as anybody although Calgary will probably also be ahead

as others have said the problem is the Central. There probably will only be three teams from the pacific making the playoffs 

We played our division pretty well last year,except for Sharks but after adding these new players and subtracting some old...it's only going to be better this season!!

• Upvote 4

One thing that’s almost undoubtedly true is Benning has done more for Vancouver then any other GM in our division so far. SJ signed EK but punted Pavelski and so far Thornton.   EDM, CAL, nothing to talk about, same with LA, ANA.  Vegas is still a top team, but hasn’t done much since getting Stone.   Really nothing to complain about, Benning set some goals and went out and did just that.  We are going to be much tougher to play against and now have depth we didn’t have before especially upfront.

Hard not to see playoffs in our future next year and definitely not the following few years if things stay about the same.  SJ has a small window that’s about to close, EDM well a lot will have to go right for them to get back, CAL will make it ... ANA, LA well too bad for them.  ARI, well when their endless rebuilding will click, but probably after they leave.. good times 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

Nashville 

St Louis 

San Jose 

Calgary 

Winnipeg 

Vegas

Colorado 

Dallas

The real question is, realistically,  which of these playoff teams won't make it next season? 

Winnipeg,  Vegas,  Dallas would be my pre-season picks to take a step back leaving the door open perhaps for......another team to step up.

• Upvote 2

LV

CAL

SJ

VAN

LA

ANA

EDM

I can see us battling with the Sharks for the last divisional spot, and Dallas, Winnepeg and Nashville for the wild card.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Aside from Vegas and Sanjose they’ve got a good a chance as anybody although Calgary will probably also be ahead

as others have said the problem is the Central. There probably will only be three teams from the pacific making the playoffs 

I think you may have it backwards.....do teams not play more games against their division? That means with all the good teams in the Central there is less chance of the Central taking both wild card spots.

• Confused 2

Highly dependent on how big of a step Pettersson takes forward in his development and with the opposition likely hyperfocused on him, it'll be interesting to see. I think we leapfrog the Coyotes, but that's about it. Our defense doesn't stack up with the top three.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Nashville 

St Louis 

San Jose 

Calgary 

Winnipeg 

Vegas

Colorado 

Dallas

The real question is, realistically,  which of these playoff teams won't make it next season? 

Winnipeg,  Vegas,  Dallas would be my pre-season picks to take a step back leaving the door open perhaps for......another team to step up.

San Jose might take a step back too though. They lost Pavelski although they do have a seemingly neverending stream of young players able to take the place of the vets. Pavelski's going to be a hard one to replace though.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 4

Central division is so stacked, atleast 4 teams get in if not 5, leaving 4 spots for San Jose, Vegas and Calgary, wild card will be between Arizona, Edmonton, Minnesota and Vancouver

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I'm not actually worried about our division. I am however more worried about the central division. All of the teams in the central division either look solid or made moves that improve themselves (outside of Winnipeg, who still is arguably good). We might have a better chance at 3rd overall than we do the wild cards in my opinion.

This could be the case, but on the bright side they will be picking each other apart  and splitting points with less guys to beat on in their division.  Some of those teams really weren’t far off a wild card spot themselves last year, and the nice thing about hockey is nothing really follows the plan...like every year expect some surprises and disappointments ...at this point I’m not even sure if we’d qualify as a surprise, and underdog for sure though and we won’t get our respect until we do it.   A lot of roster changes over the last two years,  almost a completely different team then the one we iced two years ago.

• Hydration 2

55 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Nashville 

St Louis 

San Jose 

Calgary 

Winnipeg 

Vegas

Colorado 

Dallas

I agree with Winnipeg.  They're looking shaky heading into next season.  They'll still be a tough team but losing Trouba, Myers and Chiarot does a number to their D depth and there are real question marks about Laine's and Connor's contracts.

Dallas is so inconsistent that it's hard to say.  Bishop had a really good season so we'll have to see if he can have another solid campaign.  They made a few good additions to balance the team and Heiskanen could be better next season.

St. Louis obviously just won the cup so maybe they'll be good again next season but it's hard to say.  Their success coincided with Binnington's crazy run.  Now, Binnington kept that going for long enough that it probably wasn't a fluke, but can he do that for a whole season?  They haven't really made many improvements this off season and while their players who had a down year should bounce back this season, that's not a guarantee.  They snuck into the playoffs and then ran the table but I think there's a chance they might miss this year.

Calgary is still a dangerous team but I'm not sold on Talbot and I'm not sold on Giordano having another Norris caliber season.  If they actually lose Brodie then depending on the return, their D depth will be taking a big hit.  Hanifin had a decent first year for them but is he going to improve enough to off set a possible decline from Giordano?

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2