The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on how Vancouver stacks up to division rivals

Rate this topic

aqua59

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Dallas just added Joe Pavelski and Correy Perry.  The defenceman that they got Andrej Sekera is as good as either one of the ones we acquired.  

Colorado's one of the best teams now in the West.  

I agree that Colorado will be the team to beat. But I doubt Perry will make a big impact in Dallas.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, stawns said:

If Marky builds on last year........look out, imo.  The goalies could he the key to it all in Van.

With the subtraction of Hutton and Pouliot, our chances against should go way down, add in a couple of NHL quality D men and we will better just because of the guys in front of them. I feel confident Marky can make that first stop, the problems last year mostly lied with the D men playing out of position or not clearing the front of the net to stop those second and third shots on net. This should not be too much of a concern this year.

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Dallas just added Joe Pavelski and Correy Perry.  The defenceman that they got Andrej Sekera is as good as either one of the ones we acquired.  

Colorado's one of the best teams now in the West.  

In 2016-17, the Oilers went to the 2nd round of the playoffs lead by superstar McDavid and what was considered an up and coming team.

We all know what happened the next two years. It's easy to predict success on paper. Remember Colorado almost didn't make the playoffs last season. They have a young exciting team, but with that comes unpredictability.

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

In 2016-17, the Oilers went to the 2nd round of the playoffs lead by superstar McDavid and what was considered an up and coming team.

We all know what happened the next two years. It's easy to predict success on paper. Remember Colorado almost didn't make the playoffs last season. They have a young exciting team, but with that comes unpredictability.

The Oilers have fallen off though because of a lack of depth and their depth outperforming expectations though. They had a lot of young guys who were unproven that had career years, and their defense was mildly acceptable that year (likely because Talbot was great in net). Their defense is still complete trash, and their bottom 6 consists of the most inconsistent (or non-factor) players. I live in Edmonton, I watch probably ten games every year and I didn't even know who some of their players were and I follow group pages and stuff. Absolutely no depth anywhere. Our team is stacked with depth now. 

• Upvote 1

I haven't posted for a while, but I think this topic, at this time of the year might be a good indicator of how you think JB and staff have done in the most important off season this franchise has had in 20 years. I truly believe management has crushed it. I liken JT Miller to a younger version of TJ Oshie. JT will be Horvat's RW and with either Baertschi or Pearson on the left side, gives the Canucks a legitimate 2nd scoring line. Look for JT to get 25 goals and 35 assists ( i'd give up a 1st rounder all day long for this guy). Horvat will get 30 goals and 40 assists. The 1st line will comprise of Petersson, Boeser, and Ferland. Ferland is exactly what the first line needed a fast, tough, gritty player who will retreat pucks, create space, and pop 20-25 goals. I liken him to an older version of Josh Anderson. Signing Edler who is definitely getting longer in the tooth, but he's still good at defending, and Tyler Myers who could look amazing with Edler as our top D pairing, and then consider young Hughes who looks absolutely dominant, and WILL drive play from the back end even at the age of 2o. Tanev is the perfect fit to help support young Hughes become that smaller version of Morgan Rielly. Mr. Rielly in his first two years in the NHL got 56 points, and I could honestly see Hughes getting close to that in his first year, and being a rookie of the year candidate. I don't want to under estimate Mr. Jordie Benn, as I think he'll be a perfect defensive partner for Stecher, which might allow Troy to jump up in the play more consistently, as when he does this, it adds another layer to the Canucks attack. With all of these amazing additions the Canucks have more depth, and can let young players slow cook in the minors, so when they finally crack the line up they're put in the best possible situation to succeed. Imagine Lind, Gads, and OJ with a couple of solid years in the "A", as leaders. 

I predict the Canucks will go 44-26-12 for a 19 point increase totaling 100 points. Here is how I think the Western conference will shake out.

Nashville

Vegas

Vancouver

St. Louis (Play off hangover)

Calgary (Goal-tending)

Dallas

Colorado

Winnipeg (No Trouba, no Myers)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

The Oilers have fallen off though because of a lack of depth and their depth outperforming expectations though. They had a lot of young guys who were unproven that had career years, and their defense was mildly acceptable that year (likely because Talbot was great in net). Their defense is still complete trash, and their bottom 6 consists of the most inconsistent (or non-factor) players. I live in Edmonton, I watch probably ten games every year and I didn't even know who some of their players were and I follow group pages and stuff. Absolutely no depth anywhere. Our team is stacked with depth now. 

I agree. I was referring to the Avalanche heading into this season with high expectations and a really young team surrounded by a bunch of no-names to fill out the roster.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I agree. I was referring to the Avalanche heading into this season with high expectations and a really young team surrounded by a bunch of no-names to fill out the roster.

goaltending and how they handle themselves in their own end are going to be the deciding factors for Colorado.  I love their team, but I'm not convinced they've got the goaltending or team defense to get it done.  They'll be in tough in the central, but should be a lock for the wild card.  I'm not sold on St Louis, at all........I think they're the most likely to miss the post season out of the contenders in that division and Nashville.  I think the Jets are in big trouble and the Hawks don't have the depth.

1 hour ago, captaincowbasher said:

I haven't posted for a while, but I think this topic, at this time of the year might be a good indicator of how you think JB and staff have done in the most important off season this franchise has had in 20 years. I truly believe management has crushed it. I liken JT Miller to a younger version of TJ Oshie. JT will be Horvat's RW and with either Baertschi or Pearson on the left side, gives the Canucks a legitimate 2nd scoring line. Look for JT to get 25 goals and 35 assists ( i'd give up a 1st rounder all day long for this guy). Horvat will get 30 goals and 40 assists. The 1st line will comprise of Petersson, Boeser, and Ferland. Ferland is exactly what the first line needed a fast, tough, gritty player who will retreat pucks, create space, and pop 20-25 goals. I liken him to an older version of Josh Anderson. Signing Edler who is definitely getting longer in the tooth, but he's still good at defending, and Tyler Myers who could look amazing with Edler as our top D pairing, and then consider young Hughes who looks absolutely dominant, and WILL drive play from the back end even at the age of 2o. Tanev is the perfect fit to help support young Hughes become that smaller version of Morgan Rielly. Mr. Rielly in his first two years in the NHL got 56 points, and I could honestly see Hughes getting close to that in his first year, and being a rookie of the year candidate. I don't want to under estimate Mr. Jordie Benn, as I think he'll be a perfect defensive partner for Stecher, which might allow Troy to jump up in the play more consistently, as when he does this, it adds another layer to the Canucks attack. With all of these amazing additions the Canucks have more depth, and can let young players slow cook in the minors, so when they finally crack the line up they're put in the best possible situation to succeed. Imagine Lind, Gads, and OJ with a couple of solid years in the "A", as leaders. 

I predict the Canucks will go 44-26-12 for a 19 point increase totaling 100 points. Here is how I think the Western conference will shake out.

Nashville

Vegas

Vancouver

St. Louis (Play off hangover)

Calgary (Goal-tending)

Dallas

Colorado

Winnipeg (No Trouba, no Myers)

9-9- 1 better this year over last wins division. Good legitimate business case that there were at least a dozen games we could have won last year but just could not get over the top.i firmly believe as you do the newest parts allow for this transformation an improvement by as much as your great thread thanks

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I think a lot here underestimate the parity in this league and how close the middle of the pack really is. Sure we have a couple of elite teams and a couple of bottom dwellers but the middle of the pack teams can move up and down in the standings so much that it is hard to predict where they eventually fall at the end of the season. When LA won the cup and then missed the playoffs the next year, was when I realized how close teams are and there are many other examples of this. TB getting knocked out in the 1st round and ST. Louis going from last to winning the cup last year and Vegas going to the finals in their fist year is another. Being in the Cap era probably has a lot to do with it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, EdgarM said:

With the subtraction of Hutton and Pouliot, our chances against should go way down, add in a couple of NHL quality D men and we will better just because of the guys in front of them. I feel confident Marky can make that first stop, the problems last year mostly lied with the D men playing out of position or not clearing the front of the net to stop those second and third shots on net. This should not be too much of a concern this year.

JB has retained his IR mainstays. 

No need to connect the dots here for anyone. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

JB has retained his IR mainstays. 

No need to connect the dots here for anyone. 

Except now we have the depth to cover those injuries where we didn’t before.

If/when Tanev gets injured Benn should have no problem filling his role. When Sutter gets injured Miller can slide down and play third line center or we can call up Gaudette.

This team is much deeper than last season. If they can finally stay healthy it will be interesting to see what kind of noise they can make.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except now we have the depth to cover those injuries where we didn’t before.

If/when Tanev gets injured Benn should have no problem filling his role. When Sutter gets injured Miller can slide down and play third line center or we can call up Gaudette.

This team is much deeper than last season. If they can finally stay healthy it will be interesting to see what kind of noise they can make.

Is Benn capable of playing in the top 4? I haven’t seen him play much but always had the impression he was a bottom pairing guy. 

30 minutes ago, ButterBean said:

Is Benn capable of playing in the top 4? I haven’t seen him play much but always had the impression he was a bottom pairing guy. 

Based on his underlying numbers and the role he played last season he’s definitely capable of it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Second straight year the Oilers will be in the bargain bin to fill out their roster because of cap restraint.  The Leafs have hit the same wall, and as a result their bottom-6 is not pretty at all, basically Spezza, Kerfoot, and AHL-level players.  Calgary is also in tight but at least have some better ones down there.  Our bottom-6 is far better than any of theirs because we aren't (yet) top-heavy.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not sure what they'll be. Any team with Karlsson, Burns and Vlasic on their back end is a team to be reckoned with though. 

They lost a big piece in Pavelski but he's not getting any younger so that was on the horizon anyway. They'll lose Jumbo eventually too which will be tough to swallow but that's always been on the horizon too. Having so much money tied up in larger contracts will hurt them as those players get older though, especially on D. 

If they're smart, and Doug Wilson is, they'll be looking to retool and inject more talented youth into their roster sooner than later. Easier said than done though. 

Wilson is pretty awesome.. either he's got something cooking or he's satisfied with losing Braun, Donskoi, Nyquist & Little Joe.. and maybe big Joe.. I'm not familiar with their prospect pool, but I'm sure they'll be just fine.. unfortunately.. 

On 7/11/2019 at 8:57 AM, aqua59 said:

Im of the opinion that Vancouver has gotten the attention of their fellow divisional rivals. 

Have they leapfrogged some of these teams?  They definitely have gotten tougher to play against.

I believe they have leapfrogged Edmonton and left any notions of Lucic coming here done. 

Calgary is another team. i say that because of Vancouver's goaltending and the realignment in front of them. Vancouver's goaltenders just got a bit more room. Stellar.

The California road trips won't be so hard to watch either.

Thoughts?

I feel we have progressed further ahead of Edmonton.  May & probably have caught Arizona (yeesh) who added Kessel.  Las Vegas & Calgary are going to compete for the division title.  I feel we will fight Arizona & San Jose for 3rd place in the division. Too early to call at this stage. But I feel we are ahead of  Arizona, behind San Jose if they re-sign Thornton. They still have the best D in the league? Even if a step behind last year...  It will be beneficial if Thornton does not re-sign with them?  I would then call us favourites for 3rd place in the Pacific.

Calgary

Las Vegas

Vancouver *

San Jose

Arizona

LA

Anaheim

The real competition is the Central division. St Louis, Nashville, Dallas, Colorado & Winnipeg are all play off shoe in's, assuming Winnipeg does not implode with Finnish players out duelling Juolevi on Fortnight?  I feel Chicago is a step ahead of anyone vying for 3rd in the Pacific.  I feel the Central will have 5 play off teams.  Minny will miss here.

Dallas

St Louis

Colorado

Nashville

Winnipeg

Chicago

Minnesota

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2019 at 7:15 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Our defense is still below average, so I think we'll sneak into 8th spot this year.  

Calgary was great last year so even though they haven't improved in the off-season, you'd still have to say that they're a better team then us at the moment.  

Calgary wasn’t a better team than us head to head last season. This season they will have to deal with the return of Ferland ......and Jake. Not to mention an improved defence. 

Edited by spur1
  • Upvote 3