The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on how Vancouver stacks up to division rivals

Rate this topic

aqua59

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think we go 3 playoff rounds, if we’re still healthy, the Gods might help us.

The Avalanche could be amazing this year, but that acquisition of Kadri might undermine them..  

not to mention goaltending, that could be a nightmare for them. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not to mention goaltending, that could be a nightmare for them. 

Your so very right. Just did a quick check on their drafting for the past 4 years.. they picked a goalie every year, all but one plays in Europe.. the ones in Europe are not showing well..  this year , 7th rd, they pick Trent Milner from the Vancouver Giants.. not too bad of numbers last season.. for playing almost half the games.. but he is 18 and that was a strong team.

Yes..  a nightmare looms.

I believe its Canucks vs AVs next decade for whos the King of the Western Conference. Tickets will be hot items regular season when they play each other. I’m sure it’ll be like playoff hockey intensity. I can’t wait. Should be a really fun season.

my excitement level is 9.9/10

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Nashville, San Jose, Vegas, are my locks to be around the top of the conference. Next tier is Calgary, St Louis, Colorado and Dallas. After that I see Vancouver, Arizona, Winnipeg and Minnesota fighting for the last spot.

That being said, I also see St Louis falling out from the Stanley Cup hangover and Calgary and Colorado slipping because of goaltending questions. Winnipeg has lost a lot of pieces too and may be well out of it by March.

Canucks will have enough scoring to get into the playoffs but it will depend on how well they’re defense holds up. We still don’t have enough depth if one of Edler, Myers, Hughes, Tanev, or Stretcher go down.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

Considering this:

Canucks finished 12th in the Western Conference with a 35 win - 36 loss - 11 OT/SO loss record (they had 6 SO losses and 5 OT losses)

42 One goals games  (not including empty netters where they  lost/ won game by 2 goals because of the empty netter...for the record, they won 2 games by 2 goals with an empty netter, and lost zero with a empty netter)...so can arguably say they played 44 games where they won/ lost by one goal.

One goal games broken down:

Losses by one goal - 25 games (30.5% of games played lost by one goal)

Regulation loss 14 games

OT loss 5 games

SO loss 6 games

Wins by one goal - 19 games (23% of games played won by one goal)

Regulation win 4 games

OT/SO win 13 games

Empty netter win by 2 goals 2 games

53.5% of games played were either won or lost by one goal....

The Canucks were 10 points out of a playoff spot...they just need to win more of the one goal games to get in ... with the new players, who seem to be better defensively and better offensively, then these close one goal games may be more in the Canucks favour...good teams (good players) find a way to win these one goal games...

keep in mind, we had Gud, Hutton, Pouliot, MDZ playing defense who were very inconsistent and not good defensively....I can see the Canucks winning more of these one goal games and winning more games by more than one goal, than the other way around where they lose more. As a result, they'll make the playoffs as a 3rd place team in the Division or a wild card team in the Conference.

Great leg work and break down man. I don't get why people have been trying to down play our last season? It was mentioned several times towards the end of the season, heck even through out it that the Canucks played a hard tight game. It was brought up by broad casters on several occasions how many 1 goal games we had been in during the season and how well our team was playing even with all the injuries. No wonder management wanted to go out and get some more skill and grit to push us back into the playoffs, I don't blame them. Last season was a great step forward.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One thing that I will enjoy the most win or lose, is this team is no longer going to be pushed around.  In fact against some teams we may even the bullies a bit.  Look forward to Tree coming back.  Him and Myers would be the twin towers ha ha.  Benn, Myers, Miller, Edler, Ferland...that’s a lot of size signed.  A very, very different team then the one we had to start the season two years ago.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I read somewhere the NHL is a 3-2 league.  Last season we were on the wrong side of too many of those games.  The improvements this season will change that.

Agreed.  Unless Markstrom reverts and Demko can’t handle the workload we should be on the other side of that often.    It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if at the end of the year some of our guys including the coach will be nominees for some hardware as a result either. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Agreed.  Unless Markstrom reverts and Demko can’t handle the workload we should be on the other side of that often.    It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if at the end of the year some of our guys including the coach will be nominees for some hardware as a result either. 

Hardware for Alf too.  I’m guessing 3-2 Canucks for every game next year on our CDC guess the score. :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

One thing that I will enjoy the most win or lose, is this team is no longer going to be pushed around.  In fact against some teams we may even the bullies a bit.  Look forward to Tree coming back.  Him and Myers would be the twin towers ha ha.  Benn, Myers, Miller, Edler, Ferland...that’s a lot of size signed.  A very, very different team then the one we had to start the season two years ago.

Well put; this is the most significant result of all the additions we’ve made. It’s not only  Rooster that can bring that presence. The fighting spirit and bite of this Canucks team has skyrocketed through the roof. 

• Cheers 1

We have two unreal goalies that will make the difference this year. I just watched the replay highlights of the Orcas last regular season game in St. Louis.

Demko played unreal. He took the Blues to overtime and we lost in a shoot out.

We are going to surprise people on how good we are.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildwood12 said:

We have two unreal goalies that will make the difference this year. I just watched the replay highlights of the Orcas last regular season game in St. Louis.

Demko played unreal. He took the Blues to overtime and we lost in a shoot out.

We are going to surprise people on how good we are.

Who....are....the....Orcas?

• Upvote 1

On 7/11/2019 at 11:27 AM, nuck-lifer said:

we should get past Chicago,  Minnesota, Arizona to knock on the door.

San Jose, Vegas, Colorado, Winnipeg have all lost depth in their lineup so if injuries take their toll on any of these teams they could be in trouble. especially San Jose and Winnipeg.

If we have a "normal" injury year instead of top 3 for the past 3 years, we have an excellent chance to get in

Agree that San Jose and Winnipeg could be the fallers but Colorado is scary, even though we played really well against them last year.  Vegas may not be quite as good but until we show that we can handle their game, and the new additions should help a lot here, they have to rank ahead of us.  Realistically, I think we do well to finish 7th or 8th because it does mean displacing a pretty good team or two, but that's also what we are now.  And if we fall short, we get to keep our first round pick in a deep draft year :P

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

Who....are....the....Orcas?

12 hours ago, spur1 said:

Dumb question. 

Quin is rolling over in his grave considering without him adamantly refusing to re-name the Canucks the Orcas we’d have being rebranded as such years ago and possibly be in Seattle.   Personally I think it’s in poor taste to call us that, maybe for some it isn’t.  We are Canucks.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Quin is rolling over in his grave considering without him adamantly refusing to re-name the Canucks the Orcas we’d have being rebranded as such years ago and possibly be in Seattle.   Personally I think it’s in poor taste to call us that, maybe for some it isn’t.  We are Canucks.  

Seems silly to try and rebrand or change the name of the team, especially when the area around Vancouver has a problem with a dwindling number of those big, tuxedo wearing, dolphins anyway. Another few years and the southern pod may be deceased.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Seems silly to try and rebrand or change the name of the team, especially when the area around Vancouver has a problem with a dwindling number of those big, tuxedo wearing, dolphins anyway. Another few years and the southern pod may be deceased.

Yep....and I can say this much, Orcas love Salmon, so maybe if they take that name at the very least we can munch on them for a long, long time.  No way they come out with as much as Vegas did.  GMs have wised up and will just let the Sbisa, Gaunces of the worlds go without any extras...

• Upvote 1

The biggest key to the success of the Sedin era Nucks was that the team played for eachother.  They went through the wall for eacht other every game.  Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, Luongo, The Sedins, Edler, Hamhuis were like brothers on the ice.  Thats what this team needs to gel into.  Skill alone will not lead to success.  Its that X factor of willing to go all out for each other that will take us anywhere. 

• Cheers 1