The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"I feel confident we're going to get the deal done and everything's going to work out," Boeser

Rate this topic

Canckelhead

Read this article an hour or so ago, nice to see that BB is close....and that it’s still possible we sign him long term.  Anything but an AM deal will make me happy, I don’t want to see a slightly longer deal that brings him to free agency, either a short bridge or a 7-8 year deal.  Take advantage of them while they still even exist, last CBA the NHL wanted max term at 5 years but eventually relented.  They will push for it again and this time with more ammunition to make it work.  

Great time to be a fan though, nice to see talks are going well and it won’t be long before we get the news (hopefully). 

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Read this article an hour or so ago, nice to see that BB is close....and that it’s still possible we sign him long term.  Anything but an AM deal will make me happy, I don’t want to see a slightly longer deal that brings him to free agency, either a short bridge or a 7-8 year deal.  Take advantage of them while they still even exist, last CBA the NHL wanted max term at 5 years but eventually relented.  They will push for it again and this time with more ammunition to make it work.  

Once we sign a couple of long term deals the NHL will change the rules and punish us retroactively, based on their track record. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, khay said:

lol

33 years 3.3333333 mil = 100 mil contract. What would be the cap-recapture if he retires with 15 years left on the contract?

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

or maybe he's asking for 33M$ / 3 years deal ? :o

2 hours ago, mephnick said:

Brock likes 3 on 3 so much he will sign a 3.3 million dollar contract to help us compete.

I don’t see anything in mephnick’s post regarding term?

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Great time to be a fan though, nice to see talks are going well and it won’t be long before we get the news (hopefully). 

He wants to be here long term, if we take that at face value which I would, doesn't mean it needs to be a long term deal he signs now. With all the access to information, even a dumbass like myself can access, it's easy to see shorter term deals (4-5 years) are better for star players than 6-8 year deals. He could sign for 6 years for 7mil per now. Or sign a 4 year 6mil per deal now and when the next tv deal kicks in he can cash in for 8+mil per. Especially if he keeps playing the way he has except over a full season. His numbers are amazing, his problem has been unlucky injuries. Another good thing about signing cheapish now is it'll help the team ice a more competitive team and maybe he gets a cup in the next 2-4 years and now he has more leverage for cash next contract.

As a fan I'd love to see him get the Tarasenko contract. 8 years 7-7.5 is a great deal if he keeps up his current level of play at least. If he signs for 4 years at 6mil he could potentially get Draisaitl dollars after it. He's been pretty much a 70 point player the last 2 seasons. If we go by pace. He was on pace for 66 this season but he did have a rough start to the season likely due to his increase in weight and the fact he was rehabbing in the summer. Draisaitl got a 8.5mil deal with only one 70 point season. He likely won't be Draisaitl good but at 70-80 point 30 goal scorer at 7.5mil would be great. If not for injuries, the first of which was more luck based than anything, he'd be a 70 point 30 goal scorer now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He wants to be here long term, if we take that at face value which I would, doesn't mean it needs to be a long term deal he signs now. With all the access to information, even a dumbass like myself can access, it's easy to see shorter term deals (4-5 years) are better for star players than 6-8 year deals. He could sign for 6 years for 7mil per now. Or sign a 4 year 6mil per deal now and when the next tv deal kicks in he can cash in for 8+mil per. Especially if he keeps playing the way he has except over a full season. His numbers are amazing, his problem has been unlucky injuries. Another good thing about signing cheapish now is it'll help the team ice a more competitive team and maybe he gets a cup in the next 2-4 years and now he has more leverage for cash next contract.

As a fan I'd love to see him get the Tarasenko contract. 8 years 7-7.5 is a great deal if he keeps up his current level of play at least. If he signs for 4 years at 6mil he could potentially get Draisaitl dollars after it. He's been pretty much a 70 point player the last 2 seasons. If we go by pace. He was on pace for 66 this season but he did have a rough start to the season likely due to his increase in weight and the fact he was rehabbing in the summer. Draisaitl got a 8.5mil deal with only one 70 point season. He likely won't be Draisaitl good but at 70-80 point 30 goal scorer at 7.5mil would be great. If not for injuries, the first of which was more luck based than anything, he'd be a 70 point 30 goal scorer now.

Pretty much exactly how I feel.  Brought up the Tarasenko deal a few months ago and some people thought it was ridiculous, others like you and me love the idea.  It’s the best thing for the team long term if he’s on a deal like that for a couple reasons.  One the cap hit is fair off the bat, a little in BB favour, but each year the team starts to save money and two or three years in it would become team friendly.  Definitely agree that bridge deals for star players rarely works out for the team cap wise, just look at what happened with Subban and Price...ugh.. if Boeser scores 40 plus goals for a couple years which he’s definitely capable of and almost certainly will with EP progressing and a top nine that now is one of the best in our division.   Personally the BB we saw in March is the one we will see from now on at least...that’s a PPG player plus...and a 40-50 goal scorer.  He’s just entering his early prime now.  And in the best shape of his life and two seasons under his belt.  He believes he can play 82 games...that’s the crux apparently on the deal now he wants to get paid like that and the team is using his first two seasons games played as a bargaining tool.

As long as he doesn’t get an AM deal that brings him right to UFA status I’m happy.  I do worry that both Hughes and Boeser would highly consider an offer from a good US team when the time comes.   Horvat to a certain degree too, I’m not so sure he wouldn’t take a deal from TO even OTT when the time comes, but now that our team looks like it’s likely playoff bound (I truly believe we will make the playoffs this year), that won’t be as much of an issue...we could be very, very good by then and the culture the team is building is great too, a hard working  attitude.  Watch JV take off this year.  He’s got guys taking his spot now and is buried in the depth chart barring injuries.   He will play like a bandit.

In the end I’d rather see BB signed for 8 years now while we still can make those deals.  It’s almost a certainty that the NHL will insist on five year max deals next CBA like they did the last one, and now with the  AM deal and how much that favours the players, getting to UFA so quickly, I could see the NHLPA agreeing to that and using it to reduce the UFA status by one year as well as a bargaining chip to accept the smaller term deals. 

It helps both sides, teams are less likely to be stuck with a Ryan, LE type deal they regret later, and players just get richer and richer quicker.   The league average career length is going down so players need to consider how they could make more money faster, which is already happening with insane RFA deals anyways.  

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Pretty much exactly how I feel.  Brought up the Tarasenko deal a few months ago and some people thought it was ridiculous, others like you and me love the idea.  It’s the best thing for the team long term if he’s on a deal like that for a couple reasons.  One the cap hit is fair off the bat, a little in BB favour, but each year the team starts to save money and two or three years in it would become team friendly.  Definitely agree that bridge deals for star players rarely works out for the team cap wise, just look at what happened with Subban and Price...ugh.. if Boeser scores 40 plus goals for a couple years which he’s definitely capable of and almost certainly will with EP progressing and a top nine that now is one of the best in our division.   Personally the BB we saw in March is the one we will see from now on at least...that’s a PPG player plus...and a 40-50 goal scorer.  He’s just entering his early prime now.  And in the best shape of his life and two seasons under his belt.  He believes he can play 82 games...that’s the crux apparently on the deal now he wants to get paid like that and the team is using his first two seasons games played as a bargaining tool.

As long as he doesn’t get an AM deal that brings him right to UFA status I’m happy.  I do worry that both Hughes and Boeser would highly consider an offer from a good US team when the time comes.   Horvat to a certain degree too, I’m not so sure he wouldn’t take a deal from TO even OTT when the time comes, but now that our team looks like it’s likely playoff bound (I truly believe we will make the playoffs this year), that won’t be as much of an issue...we could be very, very good by then and the culture the team is building is great too, a hard working  attitude.  Watch JV take off this year.  He’s got guys taking his spot now and is buried in the depth chart barring injuries.   He will play like a bandit.

In the end I’d rather see BB signed for 8 years now while we still can make those deals.  It’s almost a certainty that the NHL will insist on five year max deals next CBA like they did the last one, and now with the  AM deal and how much that favours the players, getting to UFA so quickly, I could see the NHLPA agreeing to that and using it to reduce the UFA status by one year as well as a bargaining chip to accept the smaller term deals. 

It helps both sides, teams are less likely to be stuck with a Ryan, LE type deal they regret later, and players just get richer and richer quicker.   The league average career length is going down so players need to consider how they could make more money faster, which is already happening with insane RFA deals anyways.  

Yeah I advocated the Tarasenko deal last summer. I'll admit it was a bit too soon, but with this past season I definitely think Boeser at 7ish mil would be great for this team long term. I'd be fine with a shorter term deal for Boeser but the pressure is on the organization to take advantage of that lower cap hit before he gets his big payday. Otherwise we end up like Toronto. Big cap hits with no playoff success to show for it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

Once we sign a couple of long term deals the NHL will change the rules and punish us retroactively, based on their track record. 

Can't argue with that. Don't embarrass Gary with a loophole he didn't think of.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Quite on improvement on .....

Sedin Sedin

Edler

You bet.  Especially the 33 plus aged Sedins, too slow.  And too predictable and no point shot really.  One thing I’m very curious about from Hughes ... can he blast it and score from the point?  Have some doubts.   First year for Hughes and I’m cautiously optimistic...at best maybe we have our Duncan Keith minus the fitness level, nobody but a few guys in the history of the NHL compare to Keith’s fitness level, Chelios, Roberts and maybe Gilmour..