Sign in to follow this  
Borvat

(Potential Lineup) CapFriendly Roster Cap Hit

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The problem is there shouldn't be problems when we have two significant ELCs (Pettersson and Hughes) and we've been a bad team for the last 5-ish years. 

 

Boeser will likely get between 6-7 on a bridge deal and over 7 long term. I also had Goldobin around 2, so only less than a million in cap space. Something will be done before Roussell is healthy. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I keep hearing and reading about how the Canucks need to do something to make the cap work / the sky is falling / which sweeteners will we lose / blah blah blah   - ad nauseum.  Here is a sample of the current roster with Boeser at 3 years $5.5MM - to match Bo's hit as a prove yourself deal.  It may take more but the reason is to show it fits even a bit higher.  They may need to "paper" down some players to UTICA to make it work.  Anyhoo it's just to prove that it works. 

 

I know this isn't how everyone would have the lineups constructed (me included depending on training camp and exhibition games) and it's not a "line up" thread.  It is meant to show it works.  

 

image.thumb.png.f38c492d519bed3749698003a5445126.png

image.thumb.png.647497401da31859e8e04d92d37df39d.png

They'll walk away from Goldy now, I'm sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

Something will be done before Roussell is healthy. 

Which is likely November-December +/-.

 

Do we eventually need to move a few million? Yup. But it's not remotely dire, nor is it going to prevent us from signing Boeser, nor are we under the same forced leverage as Toronto/Marleau to pay a 1st to dump Eriksson. All the chicken littles can just calm the $#@% down :lol:

 

We have plenty of options to move out a few million $ of players who don't remotely need be 'dumped'. They may not garner huge returns but any of, or a mix of: 

 

Baer, Tanev, Sutter, Pearson, Leivo... are all imminently movable pieces to clear cap. And again, anywhere between now and November'ish... :bored:

 

Heck, we might even find a taker for Eriksson if we're a bit lucky. And then we're laughing. Maybe retain a mil to a team not in risk of hitting cap ceiling and/or add a dab of sweetener. Eriksson at effectively $2m/year actual salary and a $5m hit is certainly plausible to the few teams with space out there.

 

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

They'll walk away from Goldy now, I'm sure

 

I'd actually prefer him as 13th (at around $1m) vs Eriksson in that ^^^ scenario :lol: Even better though would be my above scenario with Goldy as part of the sweetener!

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I keep hearing and reading about how the Canucks need to do something to make the cap work / the sky is falling / which sweeteners will we lose / blah blah blah   - ad nauseum.  Here is a sample of the current roster with Boeser at 3 years $5.5MM - to match Bo's hit as a prove yourself deal.  It may take more but the reason is to show it fits even a bit higher.  They may need to "paper" down some players to UTICA to make it work.  Anyhoo it's just to prove that it works. 

 

I know this isn't how everyone would have the lineups constructed (me included depending on training camp and exhibition games) and it's not a "line up" thread.  It is meant to show it works.  

 

image.thumb.png.f38c492d519bed3749698003a5445126.png

image.thumb.png.647497401da31859e8e04d92d37df39d.png

Looks pretty realistic to me!!! Except..... take Goldobin instead of Biega pls?? :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, stawns said:

They'll walk away from Goldy now, I'm sure

How can you walk away after having extended a qualifying offer?? It's like giving you an employment offer but then pulling it before your first day of work... hmmmm.... but you will still get a 2-week compensation pay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Which is likely November-December +/-.

 

Do we eventually need to move a few million? Yup. But it's not remotely dire, nor is it going to prevent us from signing Boeser, nor are we under the same forced leverage as Toronto/Marleau to pay a 1st to dump Eriksson. All the chicken littles can just calm the $#@% down :lol:

 

We have plenty of options to move out a few million $ of players who don't remotely need be 'dumped'. They may not garner huge returns but any of, or a mix of: 

 

Baer, Tanev, Sutter, Pearson, Leivo... are all imminently movable pieces to clear cap. And again, anywhere between now and November'ish... :bored:

 

Heck, we might even find a taker for Eriksson if we're a bit lucky. And then we're laughing. Maybe retain a mil to a team not in risk of hitting cap ceiling and/or add a dab of sweetener. Eriksson at effectively $2m/year actual salary and a $5m hit is certainly plausible to the few teams with space out there.

 

Nobody is really saying we can't sign Boeser, it's just disappointing that we're tight to the cap despite being a bad team for the last period of time. We probably will finish higher than we did last year, but it's still not a great team for the dollars being spent. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a trade to announce... you're gonna want to hear this one:

 

Borvat's Potential Lineup Capfriendly Roster Cap Hit Thread traded from the Trades, Rumours, Signings forum to

Another Potential Lineup thread in the Canucks Talk forum...

 

Borvat is on the clock...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Well we're only tight to the cap because we just signed 3 new UFA's and traded for JT Miller. So us being bad for a while is what allowed us to make these signings, we now have to see how "good" we will be moving forward. I'll take tight to the cap and a good playoff run over weaponized cap space and a bottom 16 finish :) 

 

Not everything is finalized yet as teams still have RFA's to sign and rosters to sort, but there will be teams that are better than us with more cap space. It's not a rule that you have to be out of cap space to push for the Playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

 

Not everything is finalized yet as teams still have RFA's to sign and rosters to sort, but there will be teams that are better than us with more cap space. It's not a rule that you have to be out of cap space to push for the Playoffs. 

It's not a rule either way actually ;)

 

We have vast swaths of contracts coming off over the next 2-3 years and a long summer (and possibly fall) ahead of us for him to clear more of the logjam. We're not in anything resembling cap peril.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my take is that louie will be gone by the start of the season. retain 1 mil a year and save 2 mil a year. imo, a team will bite.

we finally found someone who had chemistry and now he is moved off bo’s line. i don’t get it. i’ld switch baertschi for pearson. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the exact roster I am hoping for, for this season. Loui , Sutter and tanev are high cap hits and disappointments largely due to injuries but they are still 3 players who if included on the opening night roster give the Canucks the best roster in my opinion. They are also all effective defensively. Of course loui, if they can find a taker can go but if they can't he could be quite effective on the 4th line. I think the talk about his comments while In Sweden are blown a bit out of proportion in both the media and from the fans. Benning said he will talk to him but does that mean hes 100% being traded ? I dont know. Seems more likely to happen with 2 years left on his contract. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cap compliant even when Roussel comes back. Whiles hes back you can have one of Gaudette, MacEwan, Bailey, Boucher, ect up. Let Goldy walk or trade for a pick/prospect.

image.thumb.png.05f3659c048bd4f8e2cce9b027643913.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id have to check but the only teams i can think of that have a bunch of cap space are the Senators & Blue Jackets

 

Maybe Ottawa makes the trade after the bonus is paid to Eriksson?

 

Eriksson (retained) + Goldy +?

 

For

 

Ottawas 7th round pick in 2022

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we roll into the season, with what we have, we can make it work.  It'll be tight, Goldobin and a few others might get waived and claimed, but if they aren't good enough to make the opening night roster, ....well, that is what it is, now isn't it. :)  I can see, with the moves that the team has made, where there might be an added incentive for guys like Sutter, Eriksson, and Tanev to make a good start of the year, and we could use them as trade chips later on.  And a more balanced roster, with quality throughout the ranks, should effectively spell less injuries, as you aren't riding your talent so hard, and can more evenly spread out the playing time/roles.

  I personally believe that we go thru this season with Eriksson on the books, and put him with Pearson and Horvat.  We ride him hard, give him every chance to increase his value, and july 1st of next year, he's gone!  And we won't have to add a sweetener, hell, we might even get something back, because, despite the price tag, he is an effective NHL player.  He is great on the pk, he's sound defensively, and he can get you 30-40 pts with diminished minutes.  And he'll play the role you give him, even when he'd rather be the player he used to be.  Lots of coaches like players like that, even if the player would rather be let off the leash and cheat offensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aGENT said:

All the chicken littles can just calm the $#@% down :lol:

Can.

 

 

But won't.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roussel coming off the LTIR will cause problems though. I'd rather be prudent and deal with those future cap problems now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.