The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Biech hired by Canucks

Rate this topic

Mackcanuck

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Opinions are like buttholes, everyone's got one.  Stop constantly whining about someone because they have an opinion you don't like.  You're so soft dude

That's like half his posts on this site. I think he spends half his time policing people's opinions and the other half complaining about the opinions he can't police. :P

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I like a good debate and I love the passion but damn stop trashing a dude who isn't even here to defend himself.  Soft

@Toews (Winks comments regarding Biech)

I think he is referring to Burke, who admittedly come across as lacking to me. Its amusing though that those that spent much of their time attacking CanucksArmy are praising the hiring of one of their finest. 

• Upvote 1

No idea who he is, but comments are generally pretty good about him so it sounds like a good hire. Never really thought the amateur scouting needed work, but hey. Everything can be improved upon. Hopefully this guy comes in and whomever else is hired can help improve what was already, in my opinion, a pretty good strength. We all meme about analytics but I feel like there needs to be a healthy medium between what looks good on the ice and what looks good on paper. Never hurts to have eyes that see things differently.

On 7/13/2019 at 12:43 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Maybe a case of Benning not merely wanting a ‘yes man’ around him?  I dunno as a I don’t know much about Biech.

edit:  just noticed the HF boards seem to be in favor of the hiring.  What gives?:P

HF/Canucks is on cloud 9 right now with this signing.

HF poster Melvin finally got the sand out of h.....errr I’d better not go there, lol.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

23 hours ago, appleboy said:

Maybe management read some of his articles and after a year or so realized that he was right.

A lot of the moves Jim has made have been il advised .  Maybe he will get better advise going forward.

He’s being hired as a scout and video analyst, not assistant GM.  

Edit: this came off as a little blunt, just trying to say it seems the guy is hired for his analysis work.  

Not sure it’s correct to take it as some big admission of mistakes by management or to expect him to immediately influence the club on the strategic or even tactical levels.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Wat 1

5 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Love this board.

Crap on CanucksArmy and "analyticzzzz" all the time but the Canucks make a hire, and the narrative is completely flipped.

Never change, CDC.

Are you under the illusion that your opinion matters? That’s too bad. 

On 7/13/2019 at 1:35 PM, kanucks25 said:

Love this board.

Crap on CanucksArmy and "analyticzzzz" all the time but the Canucks make a hire, and the narrative is completely flipped.

Never change, CDC.

Let me dumb it down for you. We hated Ferland when he was a Flame and now we love him. People tend to adapt to change.

Team is trying to improve in whatever way it can and many are embracing the change. Makes a lot of sense to me. 

8 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Let me dumb it down for you. We hated Ferland when he was a Flame and now we love him. People tend to adapt to change.

Team is trying to improve in whatever way it can and many are embracing the change. Makes a lot of sense to me. 

Not the same thing at all.

It's common for fans to hate good players on other teams that give their team a hard time either on the field of play or on the scoreboard. It's the cliche "hate him but would love to have him on your team."

This, on the other hand, has more to do with general philosophy, which you'd think isn't something can flip on a dime. Unless of course, the people who disregarded analytics in the past now value them because if the Canucks hired the guy, there may be something to it.

If you post something that Biech or any other stats guy wrote that painted Benning in a negative light, it's "lol analyticzzz how about you watch the game you Jost worshippers lollllllll"

And now it's... well read the thread.

Edited by kanucks25

I would be surprised if this hiring had any bearing on people's views on analytics (On this board or elsewhere). I think it's more of a case of being happy for a guy who seems to regarded as a good guy; not because he's any less negative/ more positive but because  he doesn't comport himself like a clear and present douchebag when you can't necessarily say that about some of his colleagues . To people that are more "in the middle" or even a little more on the sanguine side of things, that difference stands out.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

I would be surprised if this hiring had any bearing on people's views on analytics (On this board or elsewhere). I think it's more of a case of being happy for a guy who seems to regarded as a good guy; not because he's any less negative/ more positive but because  he doesn't comport himself like a clear and present douchebag when you can't necessarily say that about some of his colleagues . To people that are more "in the middle" or even a little more on the sanguine side of things, that difference stands out.

IMO it's more that when people see a strong opinion that doesn't jive with theirs, they automatically view it as douchey.

For example, people killed Jost for his article after the Gudbranson trade but he was 100% right. The problem is that he was brutally honest and a certain segment of the fan-base couldn't handle that the truth meant something negative for us, so they lashed out. Unfortunately, there isn't really a way to put flowers on "this is absolutely brutal".

4 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Not the same thing at all.

It's common for fans to hate good players on other teams that give their team a hard time either on the field of play or on the scoreboard. It's the cliche "hate him but would love to have him on your team."

This, on the other hand, has more to do with general philosophy, which you'd think isn't something can flip on a dime. Unless of course, the people who disregarded analytics in the past now value them because if the Canucks hired the guy, there may be something to it.

If you post something that Biech or any other stats guy wrote that painted Benning in a negative light, it's "lol analyticzzz how about you watch the game you Jost worshippers lollllllll"

And now it's... well read the thread.

Seems to me that past criticism of analytics was mainly aimed at those who took the position that analytics was 100% of the story.  

Most people on this board don’t seem to a problem when analytics are taken into consideration along with the traditional ways of analyzing performance. 

Analytics when used to the exclusion of everything else does seem to provoke more of a negative reaction.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Seems to me that past criticism of analytics was mainly aimed at those who took the position that analytics was 100% of the story.  

Most people on this board don’t seem to a problem when analytics are taken into consideration along with the traditional ways of analyzing performance. 

Analytics when used to the exclusion of everything else does seem to provoke more of a negative reaction.

Except there are a lot, a lot of people that still won't accept X Benning player isn't very good no matter what the traditional or advanced stats say because "there's a lot more to hockey than the stats and either you don't watch the game or don't understand it."

In the end, one eye test is supported by stats, and one isn't.

If there was a player, for example, that looked great to the eye-test and put up solid traditional stats but got caved in in the underlying stats category, there would be a legitimate debate. I don't recall any of these types of players under the current regime.

Alas, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For example, some find Sutter to be a complete black hole, whereas others see him as foundational with big balls.

• Haha 1