The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Columbus wants to offer sheet Marner

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I wish the CBJ would go with a coaching change.

Is the exodus there merely because it's Columbus, Ohio?  I'm skeptical.  How many guys want to play for Tortorella?  If he were a better coach I'm not sure that question matters as much.

Have you ever been to Columbus?

It might actually be in the top 3 places to not live in the NHL with Calgary/Edmonton and Winnipeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It might actually be in the top 3 places to not live in the NHL with Calgary/Edmonton and Winnipeg

fitting name then.

Still think playing for Torts might be every bit as repelling as the $&!#ty itself.

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

http://money.com/money/5453709/best-big-cities/

Money Magazine has Columbus at 10 for best cities in the US over 300,000 people.  Never been there though, and IMO, almost any Canadian city is better that the best US city.  

These players get paid so much money they can afford the best neighbourhoods, and finest schools for their kids.  I think Duchene, ?Bob, and Panarin were in search of big money, and the Jackets weren’t willing to pay for them.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah I heard (or read) someone saying he turned down some offer sheets because he didn’t think Toronto would match.  I don’t think he has much interest in going to Ohio.

Interesting.....so Marner would entertain an offer sheet only as a tool to get a contract done with the Leafs

My personal thought is that anybody who offer sheets a top player and forgo's 4 x 1st round picks is a fool.  I would't even do that for McDavid.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The best offer would be a dollar shy of the 4 first round picks:

$10,568,590 - $1.00

The compensation package would only be 2 firsts a second and a third. 

The leafs don’t have the cap space to do this, even with Horton placed on LTIR. 

Horton’s 5.3M plus 3.7M remaining cap space = 9M

I love it! :bigblush:

Dooooo ittttttttt. 

Only to muck up the Leafs. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jacereid93 said:

Hes not going to sign with Columbus for 10.5mil. If hes going to sign there its going to be 11.5mil+

The problem is that no GM will sign him to an offer like that AND give up 4 first rounders. If Marner’s agent has any foresight, he would have to tell his client that 10.5M is the most you’re gonna get from any other team.

11 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The problem is that no GM will sign him to an offer like that AND give up 4 first rounders. If Marner’s agent has any foresight, he would have to tell his client that 10.5M is the most you’re gonna get from any other team.

he feels he is the most productive leaf

and should be paid accordingly

i think few would hesitate to suggest that if matthews were in his shoes

that matthews should not seek in excess of 10.5 million

marner views a lot of the blow back he is getting as a double standard

due to his position - a winger

and because he is a toronto native - and should show loyalty and take less for the team

even though tavares, matthews, and nylander did not take less

the problem is that he is challenging hockey barriers/traditions

panarin is a winger who signed for more then matthews, for longer term, and was a ufa

marner wants a similar amount, for shorter term and is a rfa

matthews pulled exactly that off, his negotiation was private, and apparently rather quick

the team is treating marner differently and is prepared to taint him for seeking what they gave matthews

too a great extent the laffs are the authors of this situation

they signed jt to a monster contract as a free agent..  that contract will really hurt in a few years

but it set a salary standard for the team

the other issue lingering is how the team forced a restrictive contract on marner the first time round

marner has some motive to try to recoup past earnings he was denied

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

The best offer would be a dollar shy of the 4 first round picks:

$10,568,590 - $1.00

The compensation package would only be 2 firsts a second and a third. 

The leafs don’t have the cap space to do this, even with Horton placed on LTIR. 

Horton’s 5.3M plus 3.7M remaining cap space = 9M

I love it! :bigblush:

Toronto matches that easily and says thank you for getting him to sign for that amount.

You're right in the math that it's 9 million, but after signing Marner, they will send down a forward most likely and they can send down another player and start the season with a 22 man roster instead of 23 which will save them just around the right amount to keep Marner around safely. They probably want Marner at around 10.5, but I imagine he wants at least what Matthews got if not more.

If a team wants Marner, then they will have to give up 4 1sts, simple as that. I know Columbus would be taking a big gamble, but I think their team is underrated and with Marner added, they are at least a playoff team for the next little while as long as they have their goaltending situation sorted out. They would have to shed some salary if they got Marner though and could probably replenish some picks in the process as they have some decent players.

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

The thing is, Marner has to sign the offer sheet and he wants more than $10.5

He can’t though. No other team will pay him that extra mill AND give up 4 firsts. That would be the most stupid thing ever. Marner has to accept that.

I guess they can always cave in mid season like they did with Nylander and then hope that the cap goes up at the end of next year.

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

He can’t though. No other team will pay him that extra mill AND give up 4 firsts. That would be the most stupid thing ever. Marner has to accept that.

I guess they can always cave in mid season like they did with Nylander and then hope that the cap goes up at the end of next year.

Of course.  That's my point, there will be no offer sheet.  We are in complete agreement.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

he feels he is the most productive leaf

and should be paid accordingly

i think few would hesitate to suggest that if matthews were in his shoes

that matthews should not seek in excess of 10.5 million

marner views a lot of the blow back he is getting as a double standard

due to his position - a winger

and because he is a toronto native - and should show loyalty and take less for the team

even though tavares, matthews, and nylander did not take less

the problem is that he is challenging hockey barriers/traditions

panarin is a winger who signed for more then matthews, for longer term, and was a ufa

marner wants a similar amount, for shorter term and is a rfa

matthews pulled exactly that off, his negotiation was private, and apparently rather quick

the team is treating marner differently and is prepared to taint him for seeking what they gave matthews

too a great extent the laffs are the authors of this situation

they signed jt to a monster contract as a free agent..  that contract will really hurt in a few years

but it set a salary standard for the team

the other issue lingering is how the team forced a restrictive contract on marner the first time round

marner has some motive to try to recoup past earnings he was denied

Marner has lead the Leaf's in scoring 2 years running.  So he is right.

The thing is, who is going to pay Marner more than Matthews?  What leverage does he have other than holding out?

The crap's going to hit the fan for Dubas soon enough

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Marner has lead the Leaf's in scoring 2 years running.  So he is right.

The thing is, who is going to pay Marner more than Matthews?  What leverage does he have other than holding out?

The crap's going to hit the fan for Dubas soon enough

I think crap and fan have already met and the resultant messy dispersal has splatted on Dubas’ stylish glasses and neatly coifed hair. 

Edited by zimmy
  • Haha 2