Sign in to follow this  
RowdyCanuck

[Report] Columbus wants to offer sheet Marner

3 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I know this would never happen but could you imagine if Boston offer sheeted Marner and he signed.......Leaf fans would lose their minds ha music to my ears ha. 

Would LOVE to see that happen! 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

As well as they've 'retooled' and kept themselves competitive, that 2015 draft probably spared us all the putrid sight of ratface lifting the Cup again.

Not just hindsighting here - literally could not believe the way they spent those three picks (13, 14, 15).

What an absolutely great draft in which to have three mid to high round picks in succession.

But not if you do what they did with them (no disrespect to DeBrusk, who I like, but he's not enough out of those three picks)....

16. Matthew Barzal

17. Kyle Connor

18. Thomas Chabot.

thank the hockey gods the Bruins were off their game there.

And the rest is history muahahaha....

Marchand costing his team the win? love it. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 12:18 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

there was a topic on this, and someone on reddit, claims that he is somewhat close to the Marner family and Mitch does not give a crap about the hometown discount b.s.  He intends to sign for as much as whoever can pay him and is willing to sign the offer sheet wherever it is, even if its Columbus, with the intentions of moving teams if Toronto doesn't match.  

kinda makes us appreciate the players in the past taking pay cuts to stay in Vancouver. Bo Horvat too.  Toronto really f ed themselves over with the Tavares over payment and the Matthews McDavid like contracts.

Signing Tavares was probably not the best move. They wanted to accelerate their rebuild but It ultimately cornered them into cap hell. They had to pay Matthews the same or more than Tavares, which is close to McDavid money but clearly McDavid >>>> everybody else in his age group (drafted from 2013-2017) and so no one coming out of an ELC should get paid near McDavid's salary. Tavares was a UFA so he was going to get paid yes, so that justifies him getting near McDavid money. But Matthews is not even close to McDavid. Now they can't justify to Marner why he should be paid less than 10. If I'm Marner, I ask for minimum 11.

• Upvote 2

After Columbus just gave up 

2 x 1st rounders and 

2 x 2nd rounders

for rental players.

giving up another 4 x 1st rounders for Marner will eventually ruin the franchise. Six years from now they will have no prospects whatsoever.

But if they think it’s a good idea, fill your boots.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

After Columbus just gave up 

2 x 1st rounders and 

2 x 2nd rounders

for rental players.

giving up another 4 x 1st rounders for Marner will eventually ruin the franchise. Six years from now they will have no prospects whatsoever.

But if they think it’s a good idea, fill your boots.

Great! We’ll be able to park oldies on bad contracts there.

Bob changed his whole Twitter page for his vacation? That's adorable.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:33 AM, khay said:

Signing Tavares was probably not the best move. They wanted to accelerate their rebuild but It ultimately cornered them into cap hell. They had to pay Matthews the same or more than Tavares, which is close to McDavid money but clearly McDavid >>>> everybody else in his age group (drafted from 2013-2017) and so no one coming out of an ELC should get paid near McDavid's salary. Tavares was a UFA so he was going to get paid yes, so that justifies him getting near McDavid money. But Matthews is not even close to McDavid. Now they can't justify to Marner why he should be paid less than 10. If I'm Marner, I ask for minimum 11.

It also was exacerbated by over paying Nylander

1 hour ago, Gäz said:

Bob changed his whole Twitter page for his vacation? That's adorable.

Always does. Bobby Mac is a beauty. 

Because, unless I’m reading this wrong, there exists a fundamental difference in the perception of value/term between the two sides and it’s going to make getting a negotiated settlement very difficult.

Wow.  That's quite a revealing statement from BMac. 

That's gotta be blood in the water for trigger-happy offersheet GMs.

It's also a bit late is it not?  The Leafs played this tune with Nylander - and lost that standoff definitively. 

But there is no denying - they are the most improved Canadian franchise this summer.....at least Dubas has that to help buy more soft soap :ph34r:

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

It also was exacerbated by over paying Nylander

To be fair to Nylander, it’s not as if he’s that overpaid. He was coming off two consecutive 61 point seasons. If he is overpaid, it was maybe by $500k-$750k. That small amount isn’t what is making extending Marner the issue. The problem, even though he is a great player and worth the money, is the Tavares contract. No team can keep all their terrific players and pay them accordingly.

They want to keep Marner and pay him what he’s worth (as he deserves), then one of Tavares or Matthews would have to go. And that would also ensure they try and ice a competitive playoff roster as well, as their defence can’t bail them out come playoff time when they’re top heavy on the first 2 lines. It is in their best interest to either trade Marner or get an offer sheet and take the compensation, because matching would likely mean they don’t have a balanced lineup. 

But, as I’ve said many times before, what do I know. I’m no hockey mind, just some schlub.

• Hydration 1

On 7/13/2019 at 8:47 PM, oldnews said:

As well as they've 'retooled' and kept themselves competitive, that 2015 draft probably spared us all the putrid sight of ratface lifting the Cup again.

Not just hindsighting here - literally could not believe the way they spent those three picks (13, 14, 15).

What an absolutely great draft in which to have three mid to high round picks in succession.

But not if you do what they did with them (no disrespect to DeBrusk, who I like, but he's not enough out of those three picks)....

16. Matthew Barzal

17. Kyle Connor

18. Thomas Chabot.

thank the hockey gods the Bruins were off their game there.

And the rest is history muahahaha....

Oh man. 

If they had those three.... puke. 

• Hydration 1