The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van & Ottawa(Proposal)

There have been many variations(deal w/these 2 teams) proposed lately. With bonuses about to be paid(heard Loui is July 15th?), wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

On NTC's: I think Ryan would waive to come to a much better club. I think Loui would waive to avoid riding AHL buses.

CANUCKS: Loui Eriksson(only owed 9 mill/3 yrs after big bonus paid)

Baertschi: Also 1 mill bonus to pay(don't know date..anyone?). Owed 5 mill/2 yrs after that, but 3.3 mill cap hit

Richard Bachman: only 275 K minors salary

SENATORS: Bobby Ryan(after 2 mill bonus, owed 20,000,000 next 3 yrs!)

Chlapik : 1 yr left on ELC. Good C for farm

Condon(Sens retain 1 mill) 2.4 mill cap hit; owed 3,000,000 this season

2021 Sens pick(2nd ~ 4th..conditional, depending on Ryan performance)

I have the Sens retaining 1 mill to benefit our cap space. Doesn't matter for them, of course. When we park Condon(prob ECHL) it's only a 400k cap hit then.

The incentive is obviously $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$avings for Melnyk. We create about 1.5 mill in cap space for 2019-20 season.

Ryan is an offensive asset we can bump up the lineup, should injuries occur to any top-6. I'd bank on playing him perhaps 60-70 games. In 2 seasons, he's far easier to buy out, due to less in bonus money.

Basically we would pay out 22,000,000(+ Chlapik's next deal, if he's RFA-signed) over next 3 yrs

Melnyk/Sens only have about 14,000,000 to cough up

Therefore they should add a pick.

****************************************************************:

Obvious question is how much $ contract our ownership is willing to absorb, in order to alleviate a tight cap-scenario? With names like Schaller & Tanev contracts expiring, I think they could carry the Ryan hit for the next 2 seasons.

Finally, I've read that Ryan's contract can be exposed at the 2021 ED.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

Another aspect, which might sound cynical, yet(from Melnyk's pov) would be quite possible. Loui & Baer could be one more dirty check from hanging them up. If Melnyk could LTIR either one(insurance coverage) & utilize their cap hit, he'd prob jump for joy.

It would essentially resemble the Gaborik/Phaneuf deal, with an LTIR pattern that he's utilized in the recent past.

Buying out Bobby Ryan in his last year of his contract, it's actually worse than buying out Eriksson.  I'd rather just try and trade Eriksson and retain 50% so we don't have to worry about that 4th year.  The dollar amount is actually lower per year and we free up a roster spot.  Ryan in the lineup will interfere with Leivo, Virtanen and Pearson's spot.

Cap Hit Calculations
SEASON INITIAL BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT SIGNING BONUS BUYOUT COST POST-BUYOUT EARNINGS SAVINGS CAP HIT (Ottawa Senators OTT)
2021-22 $5,500,000 $7,250,000 $2,000,000 $1,833,333 $3,833,333 $3,666,667 $3,583,333
2022-23 $0 $0 $0 $1,833,333 $1,833,333 -$1,833,333 $1,833,333
TOTAL $5,500,000 $7,250,000 $2,000,000 $3,666,667 $5,666,667 $1,833,333 $5,416,666

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Another aspect, which might sound cynical, yet(from Melnyk's pov) would be quite possible. Loui & Baer could be one more dirty check from hanging them up. If Melnyk could LTIR either one(insurance coverage) & utilize their cap hit, he'd prob jump for joy.

It would essentially resemble the Gaborik/Phaneuf deal, with an LTIR pattern that he's utilized in the recent past.

If that happens it would benefit the Canucks as well as both would be on LTIR and we could exceed the cap by almost $9.5 million.

I would be willing to do a deal involving Ryan and LE.

Ryan can play wing on the Bo line with JT Miller/Pearson.

Ryan could help our PP maybe? He is owed a lot more $ and has a higher cap hit than LE. Same amount of term left, interesting move to consider in a deal if we can send Sven as well then it helps our cap going forward vs say Schaller who only has 1 year left

Just posted very similar in the Eriksson-moving thread, in response to a rumour that the Canucks and Sens are close on a deal.  Suggested we move LE and Schaller for Ryan, then we either buy him out now or wait and do it next year (firing him down to Utica if need be), or even the year after as we don't need the cap until 2021.  Losing Schaller offsets the increase of Ryan's cap over Loui if we keep him under contract.  Right now, buying Ryan out saves us $2.5mil in capspace over keeping Loui, plus we gain back $1.9mil from Schaller leaving.

image.png.c7f2c0d5d1182f76891025c9ce40bed6.png

Buying out Loui is $5.5mil for the first 3 years so essentially pointless.  However, he's a player that Ottawa could actually use in their lineup, and would be cheaper for them to buy out than Ryan if they so chose because most of his contract has already been paid out.

If we keep Ryan for now, including Schaller helps even out the cap hit.  Better yet would be to move Baertschi, then we could and should even get something like a pick in return for the increased value.  It's not perfect, but does certainly help imo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Should clarify though, don't think we can do any buyouts now so it would have to wait until next year.

Do you think Ryan could raise his game, if playing with decent linemates/deeper team? Seem to recall he played fairly well on the Sens' last PO-run.

I would highly discourage the idea of swapping bad contract(s) for bad contract(s).  Not just with Ottawa, but with any team.   After all of the moves that we’ve made this past Summer, the Canucks primary focus should be in planning ways to save money to re-Sign Boeser, Markstrom, Pettersson, and Hughes these next two years.   On top of that, they must also side aside 10.5 million (Edler and Tanev money), just Incase none our current defensive prospects don’t look like they’ll be ready for top 4 duty.  Replacing Edler and Tanev won’t be easy.  One of both of these guys will either need to be re-signed, or we’ll need to find their equivalents via UFA.

As far as the Senators go, they won’t have too much difficulty reaching the cap floor.  I don’t think they’ll need Eriksson.

They might have an interest in Baertschi (5th rounder) and Schaller (7th rounder).   I would kick the tires on those deals.  

Before making the above deal(s) however, I’d kick the tires on the following idea:

Sutter, Baertschi, and Schaller for Pageau, a 5th, and a 7th.  Maybe you can even throw in Gaudette if they gave us a 2nd.

13 minutes ago, Ojibwa72 said:

Now I know you might want to shoot me but here goes as Ottawa trying to hit cap floor:

Tanev

Eriksson

for

Ryan

DeMelo

2020 2nd

Fire away lol

We need to get rid of one of Pearson or Baertschi and we need to get rid of Schaller.

Tanev is expendable at this point but I doubt he waives to go to Ottawa. 

I really like Ryan and DeMelo and I like the pick which will likely be 32nd overall. Helps offset the cost of trading our 1st to Tampa(if we make the playoffs which I think we will) w

On 7/17/2019 at 7:31 AM, Hindustan Smyl said:

I would highly discourage the idea of swapping bad contract(s) for bad contract(s).  Not just with Ottawa, but with any team.   After all of the moves that we’ve made this past Summer, the Canucks primary focus should be in planning ways to save money to re-Sign Boeser, Markstrom, Pettersson, and Hughes these next two years.   On top of that, they must also side aside 10.5 million (Edler and Tanev money), just Incase none our current defensive prospects don’t look like they’ll be ready for top 4 duty.  Replacing Edler and Tanev won’t be easy.  One of both of these guys will either need to be re-signed, or we’ll need to find their equivalents via UFA.

As far as the Senators go, they won’t have too much difficulty reaching the cap floor.  I don’t think they’ll need Eriksson.

They might have an interest in Baertschi (5th rounder) and Schaller (7th rounder).   I would kick the tires on those deals.  

Before making the above deal(s) however, I’d kick the tires on the following idea:

Sutter, Baertschi, and Schaller for Pageau, a 5th, and a 7th.  Maybe you can even throw in Gaudette if they gave us a 2nd.

We have enough money to sign Boeser now. Schaller will be off the books after next season should we want to give a moderate raise for Markstrom or maybe Demko even takes over by then. Sutter, Baertschi, Edler, Benn and Pearson all expire before EP and Quinn need to be re-upped. Now I know those guys need to be replaced, but it's a good thing we should have an almost NHL ready Podkolzin and maybe Hoglander by then amongst other depth like Madden, Woo, Lockwood, etc that should be cheap thanks to Benning's drafting.

• Cheers 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/13/2019 at 8:14 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

There have been many variations(deal w/these 2 teams) proposed lately. With bonuses about to be paid(heard Loui is July 15th?), wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

On NTC's: I think Ryan would waive to come to a much better club. I think Loui would waive to avoid riding AHL buses.

CANUCKS: Loui Eriksson(only owed 9 mill/3 yrs after big bonus paid)

Baertschi: Also 1 mill bonus to pay(don't know date..anyone?). Owed 5 mill/2 yrs after that, but 3.3 mill cap hit

Richard Bachman: only 275 K minors salary

SENATORS: Bobby Ryan(after 2 mill bonus, owed 20,000,000 next 3 yrs!)

Chlapik : 1 yr left on ELC. Good C for farm

Condon(Sens retain 1 mill) 2.4 mill cap hit; owed 3,000,000 this season

2021 Sens pick(2nd ~ 4th..conditional, depending on Ryan performance)

I have the Sens retaining 1 mill to benefit our cap space. Doesn't matter for them, of course. When we park Condon(prob ECHL) it's only a 400k cap hit then.

The incentive is obviously $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$avings for Melnyk. We create about 1.5 mill in cap space for 2019-20 season.

Ryan is an offensive asset we can bump up the lineup, should injuries occur to any top-6. I'd bank on playing him perhaps 60-70 games. In 2 seasons, he's far easier to buy out, due to less in bonus money.

Basically we would pay out 22,000,000(+ Chlapik's next deal, if he's RFA-signed) over next 3 yrs

Melnyk/Sens only have about 14,000,000 to cough up

Therefore they should add a pick.

****************************************************************:

Obvious question is how much $ contract our ownership is willing to absorb, in order to alleviate a tight cap-scenario? With names like Schaller & Tanev contracts expiring, I think they could carry the Ryan hit for the next 2 seasons.

Finally, I've read that Ryan's contract can be exposed at the 2021 ED.

Hey, maybe something like this becomes doable if Baer clears waivers?

edit: Of course Condon has since been dealt, but the principal pieces are possible

Edited by Nuxfanabroad