The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will this Canucks team be better then our 2014-15 playoff team?

Rate this topic

Rush17

Are we better then the 2014-15 Canucks team?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you think this team is better, worse, or even to our last playoff team in 2014-15?  Bo got a taste of the playoffs that year in his rookie campaign.

We definitely added some size, scoring, and offense. But how do we stack up vs the 2nd in the Pacific Canucks of 2014-15?

Please share your thoughts. I think comparing this team to our last playoff team could be a good exercise.

Edited by Rush17
  • Cheers 1

I doubt it. There's good potential on this team and perhaps more talent since the 2015 team overachieved, but I doubt they'll do better. If I remember correctly that team got to 100 points.

I think sneaking into the playoffs would be cool for this year's squad. The fact that there's even a new topic discussing this is a good thing though and a sign that we're getting close.

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 2

On paper we should be, but that team overachieved. The Sedins finished with 73 and 76 points, while Vrbata added 63 as well and Ryan Miller was very good for us. 

It's a different situation. That team was an old core making their last kick at the can, while this team is a new core with supporting pieces just starting to be put into place. I'd much rather have this team going forward than the one in 2014/15, but it's difficult to say that they'll finish with the same or better record.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Here's the data I could find for that question.

Old Season Data GAR and WAR:
318780477_ScreenShot2019-07-13at10_39_18AM.thumb.png.d871fe7fc3dadf5b1f685844b7cc609f.png

New 2019-2020 Roster Data Gar and WAR:

FWD WAR 11.09442833
D WAR 3.421516154
Goalie War 4.158321609

TEAM WAR 18.6742661

G GAR 22.7
SKATER GAR 78.47730242
Total GAR 101.1773024

We're slightly under on total WAR compared to 14-15:   19.2 vs projected 18.7
GAR is projected 101.2 next year vs 97.1 from 14-15.

Definitely close. Still a ways away from the 2010 range. Combined GAR + WAR of 193.2 was insane. 
Next year we are looking at combined projection of 119.9

STL last year was 150 range.

Washington only 118 the year before though. 

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 4

On paper this year’s team will be better, no doubt in my mind. There was no legit secondary scoring behind the Sedins and Vrbata. Defense was absolutely terrible in the Calgary series. Even tho Calgary’s defense wasn’t that good either, it was the best playoff performance by the Sedins I’ve ever seen and it left a bitter taste in my mouth  because we gave up multiple leads and couldn’t keep the puck out of our own net.

19 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

In the long run, I think we're better, but I don't expect this team to surpass 100 points this year.

Likely not 100+ points, but mid-high 90s should be doable. We made way too many significant additions to not get within that range imo. Then you factor in improvements from Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat etc., and it’ll eventually add up. 

Edited by Pears
added thought
  • Upvote 2

This team is better built but not sure if they have enough experience yet. Ferlund and Miller give us components we have sorely missed, grit in the top 6. Also, Hughes gives us a component we have not had for a long time, a legit PMD.

Grit and character on all lines and more talent in the top 6, makes this a better team then the 2014-15 team. Goalies are not a concern.

We will be good this year, better next year and even better the year after.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This team is better built but not sure if they have enough experience yet. Ferlund and Miller give us components we have sorely missed, grit in the top 6. Also, Hughes gives us a component we have not had for a long time, a legit PMD.

Grit and character on all lines and more talent in the top 6, makes this a better team then the 2014-15 team. Goalies are not a concern.

We will be good this year, better next year and even better the year after.

I wonder if, even though we have quite a lot of depth, we’ll make a play for someone who’s been there and done that, like a Williams type player. Once we’ve got Boeser signed and moved some salary out of course. 

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Miller

xxxx - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

I wonder if, even though we have quite a lot of depth, we’ll make a play for someone who’s been there and done that, like a Williams type player. Once we’ve got Boeser signed and moved some salary out of course. 

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Miller

xxxx - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

We have Pearson and Beagle who have Cups as well as others who have playoff experience such as Ferlund and Miller. I think we are fine in that respect.

The 2014-15 team was led by the Sedins, Vrbata and Miller (when Miller got injured, Lack took the ball and ran with it and was very good down the stretch). There was still a godo number of players playing on that team were still remanants from our 2011 cup run. The common theme of that team was: our best players were all 30+. We also saw glimpses of Horvat's potential during his rookie year. I always thought the 2014-15 was the last chance for the Canucks to do any damage in the playoffs led by the Sedins. After the 2015 playoffs, it was the time for a real rebuild. I think if the management team had signaled a rebuild right after the 2014-15 seasons, the Canucks could of gotten a few more assets to by trading away players like Hamhuis and Vrbata at the 2015 draft would of been ideal.

The 2019-20 Canucks team is a breath of fresh air. Our best players are Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes and Markstrom. With the addition of Myers, Miller and Ferland, these players provided as size and depth. Miller and Ferland should be able to re-shape our top-6 and the it would definitely help improve the offensive output of all EP, Brock and Bo. I am very excited for this upcoming season, and I think it is the first time in a while that I feel optimistic that there could be a potential playoff team. However, we don't know what it will be like until the games are played. I just hope things work out for this team and the young guys continue to improve and the new players we added proves to be positive additions.

What I do know is this Canucks line up is no longer a push over in terms of toughness. When healthy, Miller, Ferland, Roussel, Virtanen up front; Myers and Benn at the back end, this team is not going to get bullied by other team's goons anymore. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2