The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Calgary Stampede to Evolve... ?

kingofsurrey

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Because some people aren’t you. People are different and *shocker* that doesn’t mean what they do and/or enjoy are “wrong”, especially when it’s not against any law.

The law isn't always up to date with our considered moral beliefs.  

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why would anyone think of paying money to attend an event that exploits  animals for peoples entertainment.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-dear-calgary-its-time-for-the-stampede-to-evolve/

are you a vegan? also if your going to eat a 2 pound stake for dinner then your statement is hypercritical 

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

The law isn't always up to date with our considered moral beliefs.  

Absolutely. But that doesn’t mean it’s “wrong”, just because some people think it should be changed. When the overwhelming majority of society/world think otherwise, it’s not time to change said laws.

Now, is this something that could change in the future? Absolutely. But honestly, not until it stops making money. I mean, and let’s be serious here, everyone knows that cigarettes are terribly unhealthy. And something that doesn’t just effect the individual. But, why does it remain legal? Because it makes a lot of money. 

The Stampede won’t stop. Why? Because it brings in boatloads if money to Alberta from around the world, not just from Canadians.

People can think that the law needs to change in regards to the Stampede. But when it brings in loads of tourists from not only other provinces, but from dozens of countries throughout the world that don’t see it as an issue (and neither from the Stampedes sponsors), it’s not changing.

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

are you a vegan? also if your going to eat a 2 pound stake for dinner then your statement is hypercritical 

Watching animals suffer for entertainment is really not  in the same category in my opinion......

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Absolutely. But that doesn’t mean it’s “wrong”, just because some people think it should be changed. When the overwhelming majority of society/world think otherwise, it’s not time to change said laws.

Now, is this something that could change in the future? Absolutely. But honestly, not until it stops making money. I mean, and let’s be serious here, everyone knows that cigarettes are terribly unhealthy. And something that doesn’t just effect the individual. But, why does it remain legal? Because it makes a lot of money. 

The Stampede won’t stop. Why? Because it brings in boatloads if money to Alberta from around the world, not just from Canadians.

People can think that the law needs to change in regards to the Stampede. But when it brings in loads of tourists from not only other provinces, but from dozens of countries throughout the world that don’t see it as an issue (and neither from the Stampedes sponsors), it’s not changing.

To be fair, I mis interpreted in a sense what you said.  People can go to the stampede and take in the calf roping or chuck wagon events because they are permitted to do so.  It's not wrong in that sense.

What we ought to do, in a normative sense is up for discussion.  Im not disputing at all the role money plays in terms of changing our practices.  But that's just a practical consideration.  It shouldn't determine what we owe each other.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Can you stop eating meat?

Of course , super easy now days....

Luckily as humans evolve ....  we won't support watching animals hurt for our entertainment though......

GUEST_f8e295a4-77db-4ea2-912d-ec34f759b5

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why would anyone think of paying money to attend an event that exploits  animals for peoples entertainment.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-dear-calgary-its-time-for-the-stampede-to-evolve/

Because it would then ruin your view that all Albertans are cowboys.......

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Of course , super easy now days....

Luckily as humans evolve ....  we won't support watching animals hurt for our entertainment though......

GUEST_f8e295a4-77db-4ea2-912d-ec34f759b5

You 'all  might want to look up the ingredient list before switching on a regular basis.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Monty said:

But honestly, not until it stops making money. Because it makes a lot of money. 

Because it brings in boatloads if money to Alberta from around the world, not just from Canadians.

Admittedly I can't personally substantiate this, but I've heard from a number of sources including a close personal friend of mine rather high up with a oil/gas company that the actual 'rodeo' part of the stampede hasn't made money in a long,  long time.  That's why they have things like rides, games ,  carnival,  concerts, ect...to make up for the 'rodeo' not making money.  The city/province and hundreds of private companies subsidise the entire event heavily.   My friends company alone puts in over six figures every year. So while the entity of the stampede might generate economic benefits let's not kid ourselves about how much money the rodeo part itself is generating.