The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Calgary Stampede to Evolve... ?

kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's not about the "cost" of the horses....it's about risk and danger to both animals and humans for "entertainment".  There are other forms of entertainment that will still pack a rodeo grounds - the stuff that's causing tragic accidents doesn't have to be.

You make it sound like "necessity" - it's not.  There are plenty of other things that people will come to see and participate in.

Entertainment should be fun.  If you have your kids in the stands and a horse gets mutilated by crashing into a rail, you may get more than you wished for.

Troubling...  and yes they are from Alberta......  

Time for humans to evolve......

https://vancouversun.com/news/world/a-monster-lion-canadian-couple-kiss-over-lions-corpse-they-shot-on-safari/wcm/52b91b19-5903-4cf0-bfbe-4c9781ce2c6b

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

That's heart breaking.

Just look at that majestic beast. He is amazing.

Even in death he is more than the slimy wastes of trash in the picture with him will ever be. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

That's heart breaking.

Just look at that majestic beast. He is amazing.

Even in death he is more than the slimy wastes of trash in the picture with him will ever be. 

Truly sickening.  Yet they shared a kiss over him.   How romantic..........    disgusting. 

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Truly sickening.  Yet they shared a kiss over him.   How romantic..........    disgusting. 

Trophy hunting is weak sauce.

You want to feel like you're tough? strap on the gloves, bite down on your mouth guard and get in the ring. Using a high powered rifle with scope from a million miles away is as tough as baking cupcakes.

I wish this Bishop could have 5mins alone with those types.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Trophy hunting is weak sauce.

Yah but what if the Lion  on the game reserve get a few extra bunny's occasionally....  Does that make it better ?  

Thats how people justify animals being used in rodeo's for human entertainment ....   They are well taken care ... don't you know ...

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Fify. :)

No , with 6 horses dead this year......   Shameful. 

It is  F.... the Calgary Stampede.......

Are children allowed to watch or is watching the Stampede Rodeo  an over age 19 only event ?

Edited by kingofsurrey

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah but i rode rodeo 10 years ago... and i gave my bulls extra carrots on sundays.... so its OK right ?

You did???? To my best recollection there’s never been anyone tough enough from Surrey to EVER be in the rodeo.  I mean they don’t let boys barrel race. And shooting eachother is not a rodeo event. 

Maybe you could try breakaway roping with the kids and seniors? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

You did???? To my best recollection there’s never been anyone tough enough from Surrey to EVER be in the rodeo.  I mean they don’t let boys barrel race. And shooting eachother is not a rodeo event. 

Maybe you could try breakaway roping with the kids and seniors? 

This idea of toughness as brute strength that has to be on display like peacock feathers is so archaic.  

There are qualities equally (more?) important than being a tough guy.  

If this is supposed to be impressive, to many, it's not.  I see nothing but a baby that looks traumatized and terrified.  Manly men who do this may be lacking in basic forms of empathy, sensitivity and compassion - balance it out a little.

This is just...pathetic in my mind.  Not even sorry.  Rope and slam each other as willing participants and leave the baby animals out of it.

image.png

Tough guys who have to prove that in a form of entertainment that hurts other living creatures are little more than egomaniacs in my mind.  It's easy to be tough when you have no sense of feelings.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:45 PM, MikeBossy said:

Ahhh the good old Stampede - where men are men and the sheep are nervous :emot-parrot:

Never really bothered me as I have never watched a rodeo nor understood the reason to. BUT if you ban rodeos then ban horse racing then what? The human race has always found strange ways to amuse themselves. Its not like what they did to the animals in the circuses. If you don't like it don't watch it, don't follow it and don't give it any media even here on message boards. How about instead of worrying about rodeos we focus on having people spay or neuter their pets and crack down on idiots letting their dogs ride in the back of their trucks or leaving them in a sweltering car.

people do focus on changing that behaviour. 

But what i think a lot of people outside of the prairies don't get is rodeo people think that they are looking after these animals and accidents can't be avoided. No one is going to change their minds. 

I just find it amusing that Calgary picked such an American thing to build their identity around, but I guess whatever floats your boat. 

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

people do focus on changing that behaviour. 

But what i think a lot of people outside of the prairies don't get is rodeo people think that they are looking after these animals and accidents can't be avoided. No one is going to change their minds. 

I just find it amusing that Calgary picked such an American thing to build their identity around, but I guess whatever floats your boat. 

Its actually funny - started reading up on the Stampede and other rodeos after reading all the comments on here and have to admit I have switched my view about several things. The first is chuckwagon racing  - get rid of it - serves no real purpose but to entertain and the risks outweigh the rewards. Was reading an article on CBC I think and was shocked that the majority of animal injuries/deaths at the Stampede have come from chuck wagon races. At least in bull-riding the bull gets a chance to seek his revenge by trampling the cowboy or ramming him with his head :) 

Again never been to a rodeo never watched the Stampede on TV etc and never will. But unfortunately there's obviously a market for it so it continues year after year. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Its actually funny - started reading up on the Stampede and other rodeos after reading all the comments on here and have to admit I have switched my view about several things. The first is chuckwagon racing  - get rid of it - serves no real purpose but to entertain and the risks outweigh the rewards. Was reading an article on CBC I think and was shocked that the majority of animal injuries/deaths at the Stampede have come from chuck wagon races. At least in bull-riding the bull gets a chance to seek his revenge by trampling the cowboy or ramming him with his head :) 

Again never been to a rodeo never watched the Stampede on TV etc and never will. But unfortunately there's obviously a market for it so it continues year after year. 

we went a couple of times when I was a kid. No one cared about these issues back then tho. 

I guess we could say this is the #mootoo movement. 

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

The thing that I understand is, this is like the PNE fairgrounds where there is a midway, rides, marketplace, etc.  So the draw is there as people attend a fairground.  If they got rid of the stuff that is offensive and dangerous, have your bull riding if you must.  At least the bull is fair game and able to hold his own.  Don't traumatize babies and risk the lives of horses.   

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we went a couple of times when I was a kid. No one cared about these issues back then tho. 

I guess we could say this is the #mootoo movement. 

It's funny how time changes things.   As a Mom, I took my kids to game farms and circuses involving animals until I learned the truth about them.  Eye opening and it makes it difficult for anyone with empathy or a heart to continue knowing what goes on.

There are still some who don't care...but at least there are many who do.  "Entertainment" should be fun for all involved.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

You did???? To my best recollection there’s never been anyone tough enough from Surrey to EVER be in the rodeo.  

You don't have to be tough to do Rodeo...  You just have to enjoy exploiting   animals....

Not really my thing . 

Rodeo is not tough.  Nurses are tough as they show up everday at the hospital and support people suffering.... Cops are tough as they deal with so many people in crisis......   Paramedics deal with terrible stuff - they have to be tough.  Teachers deals with 100's of challenging kids/teens so they got to be Tough...

Roping / frightening / hurting  a baby calf...  That is not tough....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1