The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Calgary Stampede to Evolve... ?

kingofsurrey

15 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Sleeve tattoos...

nuff said.

I find this couple sick and twisted.  Get a room and leave the gd lions alone.

No "pride" in what they've done.  Gun beats animal...wow, such a show of ???  Lucky aim?  

It's this mentality that, somehow, "we are the champions" if we kill animals or make them submit on a stage or for an audience that's mind numbing to me.  Very "look what I can do" Stuart to me.  

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

The thing that I understand is, this is like the PNE fairgrounds where there is a midway, rides, marketplace, etc.  So the draw is there as people attend a fairground.  If they got rid of the stuff that is offensive and dangerous, have your bull riding if you must.  At least the bull is fair game and able to hold his own.  Don't traumatize babies and risk the lives of horses.   

It's funny how time changes things.   As a Mom, I took my kids to game farms and circuses involving animals until I learned the truth about them.  Eye opening and it makes it difficult for anyone with empathy or a heart to continue knowing what goes on.

There are still some who don't care...but at least there are many who do.  "Entertainment" should be fun for all involved.

it should, but this thing is so culturally ingrained in  the AB psyche I don't see how it changes in our lifetimes. It will peter out at some point. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I find this couple sick and twisted.  Get a room and leave the gd lions alone.

No "pride" in what they've done.  Gun beats animal...wow, such a show of ???  Lucky aim?  

It's this mentality that, somehow, "we are the champions" if we kill animals or make them submit on a stage or for an audience that's mind numbing to me.  Very "look what I can do" Stuart to me.  

It’s gross and to use the used saying “it blows my mind” how people think this is ok.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it should, but this thing is so culturally ingrained in  the AB psyche I don't see how it changes in our lifetimes. It will peter out at some point. 

To be truthful, I come from a family of hunters/fishermen/trappers.  (How the hell did THAT happen?).

Even my Dad, who's been doing this stuff his entire life, is changing.  He's always been "soft" when it comes to animals and has never trophy hunted - everything is food/sustenance to him.  But he's put his gun down because he just "can't" anymore.  In knowing that ducks/geese mate for life (and after having rescued some...only to have the female killed by a raccoon and seeing the state of her mate afterward), he's done.

It can happen.  But it will take time...as people let go of things they find "comfortable/familiar" and see that they can survive without them.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

To be truthful, I come from a family of hunters/fishermen/trappers.  (How the hell did THAT happen?).

Even my Dad, who's been doing this stuff his entire life, is changing.  He's always been "soft" when it comes to animals and has never trophy hunted - everything is food/sustenance to him.  But he's put his gun down because he just "can't" anymore.  In knowing that ducks/geese mate for life (and after having rescued some...only to have the female killed by a raccoon and seeing the state of her mate afterward), he's done.

It can happen.  But it will take time...as people let go of things they find "comfortable/familiar" and see that they can survive without them.

I’ll go a step further.  You kill a lion. That lion is part of a pack.  It could be a mother. it could be the alpha.  So then you have a shift in the pack.  Maybe more stress in making up hunting numbers or maybe inner fighting to re establish the leader role.  More pack members at risk of death or injury because two muppets needed a trophy.

pure ignorance.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I’ll go a step further.  You kill a lion. That lion is part of a pack.  It could be a mother. it could be the alpha.  So then you have a shift in the pack.  Maybe more stress in making up hunting numbers or maybe inner fighting to re establish the leader role.  More pack members at risk of death or injury because two muppets needed a trophy.

pure ignorance.

As a bunny "rescuer", I've had to learn this.  That not all animals NEED rescuing and when you remove one, it could be a mother with babies in the hidden nest nearby, etc.  That part is heart wrenching...when you disrupt entire prides/families.  Especially when it's for your dumbass photo op.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My family used to hunt ducks and fish pretty much most weekends of the year.

When I was 14 dad gave me his shot gun......

We changed in how we saw nature / animals and our natural environment.  Guns were given away / sold many years ago...

Fishing became catch and release......  way more enjoyable to see the fish released back to the river and hopefully to spawn and continue the cycle.

We can afford to buy fish anyways at the local store / market.

Fishing is now becoming more a walk / wade on the river ....  sometimes don't even take the rod out of the vehicle now... LOL.

People change.  There is no future in Rodeos that exploit  /harm animals.   Society is changing in how we see / treat / interact with animals and nature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Sleeve tattoos...

nuff said.

Not nice sir.

I resemble that remark.

I have had my sleeves for over 20 years.

I don't dig that so many young douche's now have a similar look.

Still, I like my tattoo's and plan to get more...most of them are of different animals :) that I love.

Edited by bishopshodan
haha, in fact you can see my back piece in the tattoo thread... it's got 3 beautiful lions!
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Not nice sir.

I resemble that remark.

I have had my sleeves for over 20 years.

I don't dig that so many young douche's now have a similar look.

Still, I like my tattoo's and plan to get more...most of them are of different animals :) that I love.

Noted.

ya I mean that’s all good

I’m talkin bout peeps with swallow tats in their neck and have never been in a boat.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Noted.

ya I mean that’s all good

I’m talkin bout peeps with swallow tats in their neck and have never been in a boat.

Ha...funny you mention that.  (Off topic, but I'll tie it in with a yeeha).   We were at Dad's a couple of weeks ago and my daughter was asking "Papa" all about his time spent at sea, how far he'd traveled, etc.  Was SO interested in it all.  Then she asked me how I felt about her getting a tattoo in honour of Papa.  A swallow.  :)

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Ha...funny you mention that.  (Off topic, but I'll tie it in with a yeeha).   We were at Dad's a couple of weeks ago and my daughter was asking "Papa" all about his time spent at sea, how far he'd traveled, etc.  Was SO interested in it all.  Then asked how I felt about her getting a tattoo in honour of Papa.  A swallow.  :)

That’s fantastic.  And she should.  From what I’ve read it was looked in and carrying a drowned sailors soul away.  As well as distance travelled.  But I sure there are a few meanings.

one of my fav tats actually along with all the nautical themed ones.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

5000 nautical miles per swallow.

He's got it covered.  And some.

(Also been on a shipwreck...sunk to the bottom...and a near miss that took his shipmate/long time friend.  Etched on the memorial in Steveston).

"yeeha"

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Ha...funny you mention that.  (Off topic, but I'll tie it in with a yeeha).   We were at Dad's a couple of weeks ago and my daughter was asking "Papa" all about his time spent at sea, how far he'd traveled, etc.  Was SO interested in it all.  Then she asked me how I felt about her getting a tattoo in honour of Papa.  A swallow.  :)

Cool, she has a great idea. Tattoo's don't always have to have stories or a meaning but I think they are more interesting when they do. 

My back piece is a tribute to my dad. It's a big Dragon fly based on a story he would tell. It has four Doves representing his children. Part of it is a 'Daniel and the Lions' Scene with specifically 3 Lions (for England) there is an Angel in the corner for my mum. It took a while but I really like it. You can see it in the tatt thread in white noise.

oh and..yeeeha

• Like 1

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

This idea of toughness as brute strength that has to be on display like peacock feathers is so archaic.  

There are qualities equally (more?) important than being a tough guy.  

If this is supposed to be impressive, to many, it's not.  I see nothing but a baby that looks traumatized and terrified.  Manly men who do this may be lacking in basic forms of empathy, sensitivity and compassion - balance it out a little.

This is just...pathetic in my mind.  Not even sorry.  Rope and slam each other as willing participants and leave the baby animals out of it.

image.png 

Tough guys who have to prove that in a form of entertainment that hurts other living creatures are little more than egomaniacs in my mind.  It's easy to be tough when you have no sense of feelings.

Wasn’t referring to that... because KoS said he Rode

i was referring to this;

CCA060D3-7268-4171-AEC1-736D32C689D0.jpeg

6855EB13-7223-4BC1-A653-D15716033ADB.jpeg

157D5DF5-94F5-4AD4-BF9F-82846EB024AF.jpeg

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

He's got it covered.  And some.

(Also been on a shipwreck...sunk to the bottom...and a near miss that took his shipmate/long time friend.  Etched on the memorial in Steveston).

"yeeha"

Should probably get the old mans name etched on there.pretty sure the first of his name to die at sea in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Violator said:

Should probably get the old mans name etched on there.pretty sure the first of his name to die at sea in a long time.

image.jpeg

So sorry to hear that my friend.  Dad was one of the lucky ones, although the scars (and now the arthritis in the leg that was crushed) run deep.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

You don't have to be tough to do Rodeo...  You just have to enjoy exploiting   animals....

Not really my thing . 

Rodeo is not tough.  Nurses are tough as they show up everday at the hospital and support people suffering.... Cops are tough as they deal with so many people in crisis......   Paramedics deal with terrible stuff - they have to be tough.  Teachers deals with 100's of challenging kids/teens so they got to be Tough...

Roping / frightening / hurting  a baby calf...  That is not tough....

Rodeo not tough??!! Ha I've rode with four broken ribs and broken left fore arm and cause if you don't ride you don't make money and also I love it. 

We had this talk @kingofsurrey you have a problem with calf roping sure I get that and got problem with the chucks I get that but the rough stock is 100% different and the rough stock events have came a long way....like said those rough stock animals get treated great and I've said you can't force a bull to buck or a bronc ....they have natural ability to do it and some enjoy it... So like I said you can't lump all rodeo together causes There's rough stock events and timed events and I will agree I don't care for the chucks and steer wrestling and calf roping....

ill put it like this your a Canuck fan so you must have been part of riots right?...not nice bein lumped in with those people that did it right?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1