The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Canuck fan base quick to react

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Are you negative toward the Canucks  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:44 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

We can sure spot the antagonists! 

Happy to have everyone and miss some of the past posters.

This site has had some hilarious people who kept us entertained.

Its getting back to the way it was several years ago and away from thought policing, which is great. 

We have some talented writers who should be working instead of volunteering on here. 

Two of my faves that are gone are the Gaurdian, I guess he finally pushed too many buttons, sometimes he said things about the team he liked which led me to think he really loved the team, just couldn’t stand how things were.  No filters leads to some fun discussions.  Didn’t realize he was banned until a few weeks ago.  

The other one was some kid Horvat fan who made a hundred or so threads a summer or two ago....one after the other.  It was funny, he really just couldn’t help himself despite the ribbings to stop, don’t quite remember his handle (Horvat was in it) and maybe he’s/she’s still here but the threads just stopped which was too bad.  I think the regulars myself included are all a little hockey nuts, and big fans of the team - something to remember but easy to forget when ideas don’t match and debates get heated.   It does seem more light hearted and fun loving then it’s been in a while, that makes sense too because like it or not a lot of us are also emotionally connected to it.  And things are looking up.

On antagonists:

I come from a family who’s uncles would hit the TV repeatedly, palm slapping it which would shake the rabbits ears and send lines all over the screen with bad calls or a bad goal, or throw thjngs at the TV and scream at it every game ... comedic stuff really.  So I get it when a fan becomes disappointed and how that might affect what they say on a given day and that it might not be trolling at all but their god honest opinion on the club, the league, a player etc.   Sometimes it’s teasing, and sometimes it really is vitriolic trolling which can get hidden in the mix.  Generally though it’s part of the fun, the memes come out and so do the laughs.

I’d re-instate the Gaurdian if it was up to me, I didn’t mind his stuff even though some was way out in left field...heck he could be one of my uncles, things get bitter after changing allegiances from the Habs (and give up on a dynasty) to honour a new club in your home province, then living 50 years of heartaches and until recently mostly losing.  Would make any fan a little nuts. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

I’d re-instate the Gaurdian if it was up to me,

The mods allowed for him to absorb more insults and shots than anybody else that I’ve ever seen on here. 

Disappointing. 

I can’t imagine how that could even be argued against, we all saw it.

His person was attacked more than his posts were.

He almost never responded back with anything nasty and backed up his opinions as well as anyone on here. No doubt he was critical of the management, but loved the Canucks.

To be considered a hateful troll for that became a cultural thing here for a good while and I could point to a few individuals who encouraged it. 

The site is only as good as its posters.

If we were all on one side of a point, the thing would tip over, so we need opposing views and counter arguments. The Guardian provided that. There is value in viewing through all lenses and angles. 

I think he was banned on a dupe account, which is strange. The guy is a grandpa and not a basement-dwelling hacker looking to create or post as an alter ego, but what do I know? 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The mods allowed for him to absorb more insults and shots than anybody else that I’ve ever seen on here. 

Disappointing. 

I can’t imagine how that could even be argued against, we all saw it.

His person was attacked more than his posts were.

He almost never responded back with anything nasty and backed up his opinions as well as anyone on here. No doubt he was critical of the management, but loved the Canucks.

To be considered a hateful troll for that became a cultural thing here for a good while and I could point to a few individuals who encouraged it. 

The site is only as good as its posters.

If we were all on one side of a point, the thing would tip over, so we need opposing views and counter arguments. The Guardian provided that. There is value in viewing through all lenses and angles. 

I think he was banned on a dupe account, which is strange. The guy is a grandpa and not a basement-dwelling hacker looking to create or post as an alter ego, but what do I know? 

One of the best posts I’ve seen in a very long time.  Very deep, and intelligent if we all are sheep and just go with the flow it would make for some very boring discourse and don’t think I’d log on much other then to get some current events etc.   I ribbed Bubbles a lot because him and one other I won’t mention just won’t let up on all the picks Benning gave up early on.  Logically for each event there was an actual reason (McCaan wasn’t liked at all, huge age gap tweeners missing from the lineup given the contending times, NMC/NTC re-tool mandate, we wouldn’t have EP and Hughes etc etc)....however they were absolutely correct too.  We should never have re-signed the Sedins and gone full rebuild then ideally, in some multiverse maybe we’d have McDavid and Mathews etc.    Keep up the good work 189 lbs ... we want the same things , a tough team skilled team that competes every night and had a good chance at a cup one day.   I see that with team now... Podz, Horvat, Miller, JV, Benn, Myers, Boeser, EP, Demko, Markstrom and a bevy of others (Hogs, Woo, OJ, Lind, JG, Utenan etc) nice blend of skill and grit. 

Edit:  On the Gaurdian.   We should start a movement to get him back, or if he’s here already,  to announce himself and resume his good work.   I bet if people on here were honest, the moment they saw another gaurdian thread they viewed it right away and possibly posted something on it.  It took a while for me to get it (at first I thought it was just trolling) but once I did some of those threads were thought provoking and most were entertaining at the least.  A lot more fun then “Every one on here has to read this so we can understand something that has really nothing to do with Boeser’s possible contract and nobody does this but Nylanders  anyways “.  Like it was vital to my CDC existence or something. 

Also think we need to find that Horvat mega-fan and let him loose for a while.  Summers are boring as sh&t anyways, add five or six threads a day makes the scrolling more fun and often they morph into something interesting.  Think he was hammered into non-existence given the teasing, he was like the annoying little brother that always had to tag along and wouldn’t shut up.   Somehow he became part of the group despite this. Eventually he found friends his own age and once he’s gone you missed him.   The CDC is ever changing but always the same, look forward to the next time guys come in a take on these personas and maybe next time the moderators will just let them be.

edit:  IF Bubbles or anyone else comes out and announces they are the Gaurdian I’m going to laugh so loud.  Should make a meme with the Iron Man reveal and use that. Ha ha. Plus one million.

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting reading on a hot summer afternoon!  First of all, I always find it interesting when an entire group of people (Canuck Fans in this case) are measured based on a small sample.  I think the posters on CDC are only a small subset of the entire Canuck fanbase.  Even in that small subset, I don't think the majority are negative.  

I personally probably fall in line with Deb's perspective.  I've never been a huge fan of negativity, seems like a wasted emotion as people who are constantly negative are exhausting to be around.  However, I find people who are constructively critical of decisions made by Canucks management bring a lot of healthy discourse.  Most often their posts are well thought out, clearly explained, backed up with stats and well articulated argument.  

I love the Canucks, have been a hockey fan my whole life, played the sport for 25 years.  However, my fandom is from an entertainment perspective, nothing the Canucks do directly affects the quality or security of my life.  I'd love to see them win a Cup at some point just as everyone else would, but it won't change my life that much if they don't.  

I personally try to stay away from posting from emotional reactions, although I've been caught a time or two.  As one of my work colleagues advised me...back away from the keyboard!  I tend to get in less trouble that way LOL!  

Happy summer everyone....and like most, I anxiously await every tidbit of hockey news and can't wait for preseason to start.  

• 6 months later...
  • -SN- locked this topic