The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2011 roster compared to the current 2019-20 season

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

2010-11 Canucks in 2020  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's interesting once you break it down by points... and rough estimations based on somewhat hopeful / historic totals

Pettersson - 82   H.Sedin - 102

Boeser - 70         D.Sedin - 94

Horvat - 65          Kesler - 73

Ferland - 40        Burrows - 48

Miller - 60           Samuelsson - 50

Sutter - 30          Malholtra - 30

Pearson - 40      Raymond - 39

Roussel - 30       Torres - 29

Beagle - 20         Lapierre - 12

Baerstchi - 35     Hansen - 29

Virtanen - 25       Higgins - 28

Leivo - 25            Glass - 10

Edler - 35          Ehrhoff - 50

Myers - 35         Edler - 33

Hughes - 30       Salo - 7 (hurt)

Tanev - 10 (hurt) Bieksa - 22

Stecher - 23       Hamhuis - 23

Benn                  Tanev - 1 (rookie)

I'd say the Sedins obviously were the best in the game at this point and that's the difference maker along with #1 D... But the rest of the roster I think is the same and could be potentially better IF some guys make a step forward. A couple years of experience and a few more higher end prospects entering the lineup and line chemistry and we just might have a team. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/15/2019 at 4:44 AM, Arrow 1983 said:

This topic is simple comparing rosters side by side. 2019-20 to 2010-11

Pettersson    H.Sedin

Boeser          D.Sedin

Horvat           Kesler 

Ferland         Burrows

Miller            Samuelsson 

Sutter           Malholtra

Baertschi      Raymond

Roussel        Torres

Beagle          Lapierre

Pearsson      Hanson

Virtanen        Higgens

Leivo            Glass

Edler             Edler

Myers            Salo

Hughes         Ehrhoff

Tanev            Tanev

Stecher         Bieksa

Benn             Hamhuis

Biega            Rome

Fantenberg   Alberts or Ballard

This comparison begs the question, could the 2010-11 Canucks make the playoffs or win the Cup in 2020.

I’m a bit confused by your question:

Are you asking if the 2010-2011 team *in their prime* is better than our current team today?  The answer to that is “yes,” and it’s not even close.   Our current team is a bubble playoff team (WC caliber?), while that 2010-2011 was one of the most dominant teams in NHL history.

That 2010-2011 team *at current* however, would not make the playoffs and would be worse than our current team.   Father Time catches up to all of us and that 2010-2011 team is no exception.  The twins, today, as soon-to-be 39 year olds, would be average to below average 2nd line players.  Guys like Kesler, Bieksa, and Luongo have all significantly declined as well.

If you’re asking if that 2010-2011 team from 8 years ago was playing in today’s NHL, then my answer to that is that they’d likely be in contention for both the Presidents’ Trophy and Stanley Cup.  If they remained relatively healthy throughout the playoffs, their chances of winning the cup would be pretty high.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

10 hours ago, davinci said:

It's interesting once you break it down by points... and rough estimations based on somewhat hopeful / historic totals

Pettersson - 82   H.Sedin - 102

Boeser - 70         D.Sedin - 94

Horvat - 65          Kesler - 73

Ferland - 40        Burrows - 48

Miller - 60           Samuelsson - 50

Sutter - 30          Malholtra - 30

Pearson - 40      Raymond - 39

Roussel - 30       Torres - 29

Beagle - 20         Lapierre - 12

Baerstchi - 35     Hansen - 29

Virtanen - 25       Higgins - 28

Leivo - 25            Glass - 10

Edler - 35          Ehrhoff - 50

Myers - 35         Edler - 33

Hughes - 30       Salo - 7 (hurt)

Tanev - 10 (hurt) Bieksa - 22

Stecher - 23       Hamhuis - 23

Benn                  Tanev - 1 (rookie)

I'd say the Sedins obviously were the best in the game at this point and that's the difference maker along with #1 D... But the rest of the roster I think is the same and could be potentially better IF some guys make a step forward. A couple years of experience and a few more higher end prospects entering the lineup and line chemistry and we just might have a team. 

I don’t think our current roster touches the 2011 as that group was a stacked and special team in their prime... but it’s nice to see a lot of parallels in the point totals and the overall depth. 

The kicker is that the 2011 squad went downhill in a hurry after that and our current group still has a lot of growing to do.

16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The only thing the 2019 team has that the 2011 didn't is a larger dose of size and pushback. The 2011, while dominant is almost every metric, were dominated by physicality.

Complete and utter myth.

The Canucks could more than hold their own physically.  Before they got cocky in that round 1 series, they were physically punishing Chicago in a big way.   They also went tit for tat against some very physical teams in Nashville and San Jose......and pistol whipped those teams on the PP when they took bad penalties.    The Boston thing happened because playoffs are a war.....:and after playing two of the more physical teams in the NHL (SJ and Nsh), and then playing a few games against Boston, the Canucks were too broken down.   

Canucks being susceptible to being physically dominated in 2010-2011 is a complete myth.   Any team with that level of injury volume would have been susceptible to being physically dominated.   Don’t let medias’ from other cities tell you otherwise.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

On 7/14/2019 at 6:54 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Luongo is the wildcard. Can Markstrom carry this team all the way? Interested to see how he does this year with a good D in front of him. 

Everytime you post I cringe from your blatantly uneducated criticisms.

Luongo was the best goalie in the world in 2011. I don't care that Tim Thomas won the Vezina. Bobby Lu would have had to post a shutout and score from his end to win the cup that year.

He opened every series with a shutout, and had 2 shutties in the finals.

2011 Luongo >>>>> February 2019 Markstrom