Sign in to follow this  
Pete M

(Discuss) NHL news - negative slant compared to other teams or am I becoming a homer?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Okay, I read a lot of hockey stuff including the NHL website...

 

See a lot of news about other teams progression and positive outlook with their signings, trades and drafts; however, when it comes to the Canucks, see a lot of this...

 

Boeser far away from contract...however, latest news "Boeser confident contract will get done with Canucks"

"Eriksson's remarks about coach Green don't concern Canucks"

 

On the other hand, they did report on Edler, Myers, Miller, Benn, and Ferland signings and trades, and Petterson winnining the Calder, and

"Miller sees 'tons of potential' after trade to Canucks"

 

...still waiting for the real news which ties everything together...or maybe JB is not done yet.

 

"Canucks reset and become bigger, stronger, faster with their trades, signings and draft selections".

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s always been like that, I don’t even go to nhl.com anymore. Even last year everyone was saying we were gunna be bottom feeders in super negative articles throughout the summer, we were in playoff contention down the stretch. It’s better when the team proves everyone wrong.

  • Hydration 3
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I find the Canucks media to almost cheer against them, which is weird. The articles in the paper are usually pretty negative, focusing on the things Benning hasn't done yet. They like to talk about players who struggle and the doom and gloom. Today's article by Ed Willes (who I despise, but will read anyway), he talks about Benning signing all of these "middle guys" for more money than he thinks they're worth, and how that isn't a recipe for success. He also goes on to hint that he's unsure if Horvat is capable of scoring more goals to carry this team. Just rubbish. And this is the local guy lol TSN and SN are a whole other problem.  

 

Benning has made a lot of needed changes to this roster. There's still more work to do, but it is only mid-July. I have confidence by opening day, everyone will be signed and the roster will be set.

 

I don't really see any negative moves by Benning this off season. Flying under the radar is kind of good though too. At least if VAN loses and misses the playoffs, people aren't really surprised, and the Canadian media doesn't really talk about them anyway. But when the same Canadian media pumps the tires of a particular team all year (TOR) and they fail, well, that's just darn funny. Stupid media.      

Nice line up for the future in your footer (signature)

Edited by Pete M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Okay, I read a lot of hockey stuff including the NHL website...

 

See a lot of news about other teams progression and positive outlook with their signings, trades and drafts; however, when it comes to the Canucks, see a lot of this...

 

Boeser far away from contract...however, latest news "Boeser confident contract will get done with Canucks"

"Eriksson's remarks about coach Green don't concern Canucks"

 

On the other hand, they did report on Edler, Myers, Miller, Benn, and Ferland signings and trades, and Petterson winnining the Calder, and

"Miller sees 'tons of potential' after trade to Canucks"

 

...still waiting for the real news which ties everything together...or maybe JB is not done yet.

 

"Canucks reset and become bigger, stronger, faster with their trades, signings and draft selections".

I seriously don’t understand where you could dig out any Canuck discrimination or blatant, forced negativity. Every single year the media has portrayed us as a team in the NHL ghetto. Every year they have done so, guess where we ended up? 

 

The Ghetto.

 

The media collectively can get some things wrong from time to time but for the most part they aren’t too far off. It’s time people just suck it up and come down to earth to live and prosper with the rest of us. 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have a point Bubbleman, the Canucks have been bad in recent years for many reasons...the biggest one being handcuffed by the Sedins decline...the reports across the media have been accurate....however, I believe "Toews" has got it right this time with ...

 

"We were predictably poor in previous seasons, this year we should expect this team to take a sizeable step but I doubt we will get credit from these writers until we prove it on the ice."

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure why we need NHL.com do pump our tires. We just need to go our there and win

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete M said:

You have a point Bubbleman, the Canucks have been bad in recent years for many reasons...the biggest one being handcuffed by the Sedins decline...the reports across the media have been accurate....however, I believe "Toews" has got it right this time with ...

 

"We were predictably poor in previous seasons, this year we should expect this team to take a sizeable step but I doubt we will get credit from these writers until we prove it on the ice."

 

 

EP absolutely killed it in the Calder voting. That is the perfect example of us getting credit where credit is due. He is extremely hyped up by everyone in the media. The steal of his draft class, it’s reverberated around the league. 

 

It’s just that Canucks fans are the most thinned skinned biological matter on the planet. 

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

EP absolutely killed it in the Calder voting. That is the perfect example of us getting credit where credit is due. He is extremely hyped up by everyone in the media. The steal of his draft class, it’s reverberated around the league. 

 

It’s just that Canucks fans are the most thinned skinned biological matter on the planet. 

idk about that...you might be swayed by a few "homers" who have a louder voice than the majority.

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

It’s just that Canucks fans are the most thinned skinned biological matter on the planet. 

It got Gillis fired.  There is a some good in everything.  (eg., Fire Gillis chants).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Canucks have been the 2nd worst team collectively over the past 4 seasons, half of which were spent actively trying to make the playoffs and having all the moves fall flat on their face -- it's very obvious why there's negative emotions directed towards the team.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I follow the Canucks, Panthers and Canes closely but the rest of the league (and other hockey leagues) pretty closely as well and NO team has as many trollish/negative media and social media types than the Vancouver Canucks.   It is not even close.   In Toronto or Chicago, real issues of concern are painted as being "great strides for the team" or "battle testing the group" whereas an issue that is far less of a likely concern in Vancouver brings out all nature of professional media and armchair trolls piling on about how the sky on the Canucks is black and getting darker.    For example, the Leafs could potentially lose Marner to an offer sheet and there is zero progress it appears but no real sense of doom/gloom.   Canucks cannot lose Boeser to an offer sheet AND he has just recently said it will get done and he wants to be here yet you can find a plethora (had wanted to use that word for a week) of "informed" sources talking about how bad this situation is getting and woe be the Canucks due to the Boeser "situation".   

No team in the West improved on paper more than Vancouver did this off-season.   They were perhaps two key injuries away last year from snagging a playoff berth.    They have a young core that includes the reigning Calder winner, the runner up from the season prior, a player who could be in that mix for this coming season and one of the best young goalie prospects in hockey....they signed two top 6-9 forwards who have combined for between 80 and 100 points for past two seasons.....the re-signed their best Dman.....they long-hyped goalie (best not in NHL) found himself last season.....and more....and somehow that requires being negative about their management and their outlook.

Well said, Zepp. When I go on Bleacher Report, I usually have to wade through a stupid tweet from Grady Sas, finding the negatives in every single aspect of the Canucks operation, with almost gleeful exuberance.

 

These clowns have had the negativity ingrained into their heads by the likes of Patterson, Botchford, Price, Sekeres and many more Tony Gallagher disciples. I'm all for fair and impartial reporting, and do feel that Ben Kuzma might be the closest thing, along with Ryan Biech.  

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.