The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discuss) NHL news - negative slant compared to other teams or am I becoming a homer?

Rate this topic

Pete M

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

or when Dubas got an "A" for clearing cap space with giving up a 1st rounder to get rid of Marleau's contract (a player that he signed in the first place)...but THE BAD trading a first for JT Miller...case and point about the negative vibe...JB and his group are making good trades, signings and draft selections and they are still getting the VAPOR from the media...a guess respect is earned, not given...here's hoping for a first place or second place finish in the conference.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Nothing has changed or will change until we start to string together wins but as tiring as it is to hear ppl whining about mgmt and coaching that will quickly turn around and when it's comes to change the core and rebuild it's simply a matter of time and those too stupid to think it happens overnight should be ignored as haters just have to hate, but nor should it take too long but we need to be fair about it too. Oh and those people who hated on JB for the 1st included should remember we absolutely stole Pods, who was ranked 3rd overall in different times through last year so even though a first was included, he arguably made up some of the difference before JT was even signed so that tells you something about the average fan who refuses to take everything into account before passing judgement.

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pete M said:

or when Dubas got an "A" for clearing cap space with giving up a 1st rounder to get rid of Marleau's contract (a player that he signed in the first place)...but THE BAD trading a first for JT Miller...case and point about the negative vibe...JB and his group are making good trades, signings and draft selections and they are still getting the VAPOR from the media...a guess respect is earned, not given...here's hoping for a first place or second place finish in the conference.

I remind us all, that Canada east of the Rockies envies us on the west coast.  And with good reason.  They suffer through extremely cold winters, ice in spring and fall, and big nasty bugs in summer.  They kind of hate us.  We have a flower count in 

February, when they are buried in snow!  Their media must feed those poor suffering people what they want to hear.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

It's been this way for years but recently seems even worse. For instance, listening to NHL Network as I type this, the goofball on there has the Oilers as the dark horse team to make the playoffs next year. Not even a mention of the Canucks. Huh? TO gives a first to lose a contract and we give a first for a player TO could desperately use and the Nucks get crapped on. Myers and Ferland sign excellent contracts and all I hear is Myers isn't a top four and Ferland has injury and other issues. I could go on and on but I've grown tired of it.  Zepp framed it well. In the end I hope we just kick ass this year and let our record speak for the team. 

We need to make a rule:  no moving out here from east if the Rockies.  Retire in your own towns.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remind us all, that Canada east of the Rockies envies us on the west coast.  And with good reason.  They suffer through extremely cold winters, ice in spring and fall, and big nasty bugs in summer.  They kind of hate us.  We have a flower count in 

February, when they are buried in snow!  Their media must feed those poor suffering people what they want to hear.  

lol...I remember (many many moons ago) my old man calling everyone East of the Rockies a Newfie...and anyone with a yellow license plate a marker for a bad driver....RIP, you old fart (not you Alf).

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

The “negativity” thing hit critical mass on twitter recently.. hilarious stuff.  

Funny how sensitive our media gets about being called out on their biases.  

Honestly... of course they’re going to be “negative” as the team has been horrible the last 4 seasons and in a decline for a few before that.  

For me, “negative” isn’t the issue - its the condescending, obnoxious and smarmy tone adopted in their writing that has caused me to stop reading.  

I also don’t need the reverse-poop sandwich (start with “Benning has been terrible, but....” and end with “the team is still horribly managed.”) every time I read about a “positive” thing.  

Is this thing? 

It takes courage for someone in the media to write a positive piece where they predict success for the team. The safe play is to be negative. I remember one of the local radio guys predicting 50 points for granlund a couple years ago.  He was mercilessly roasted for that when it didn't turn out.

When you read people like Willes I like to remind myself his negative comments are just a lack of guts.  Makes it easier to laugh off the constant negativity.   

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Lamoriello was the GM at the time. 

• Upvote 1

Well, I look at it this way, the negativity is increasing because the media is getting closer to being proved wrong. They're doubling down on the narrative. The better the Canucks get, the more negative it will become. They're not going to admit they're wrong. 

We know the Canucks weren't far out of a playoff spot last year. We obviously got better this offseason. It's about trusting what we know rather than the media narrative.

The media is about readership and viewers. Period. And it's about sticking to the narrative that increases readers and viewers. It doesn't matter whether something is true or not. Most of the time, there's a grain of truth that gets sensationalized, fictionalized, or exaggerated for maximum emotional effect.

People have a hard time accepting this reality because they grow up trusting their media or giving the media the benefit of the doubt. Those days are long gone. 

I can guarantee you that if truth and positivity made more money than fiction and negativity, the media landscape would be the opposite. 

At the same time, there's something about human beings and their relationship to negativity/sensationalism/fiction/controvery that's very much like bees to honey.

So it's not just the media. It's a two way street. If anything is evident in this day and age, the media gives fake news and the public gladly receives it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, I look at it this way, the negativity is increasing because the media is getting closer to being proved wrong. They're doubling down on the narrative. The better the Canucks get, the more negative it will become. They're not going to admit they're wrong. 

We know the Canucks weren't far out of a playoff spot last year. We obviously got better this offseason. It's about trusting what we know rather than the media narrative.

The media is about readership and viewers. Period. And it's about sticking to the narrative that increases readers and viewers. It doesn't matter whether something is true or not. Most of the time, there's a grain of truth that gets sensationalized, fictionalized, or exaggerated for maximum emotional effect.

People have a hard time accepting this reality because they grow up trusting their media or giving the media the benefit of the doubt. Those days are long gone. 

I can guarantee you that if truth and positivity made more money than fiction and negativity, the media landscape would be the opposite. 

At the same time, there's something about human beings and their relationship to negativity/sensationalism/fiction/controvery that's very much like bees to honey.

So it's not just the media. It's a two way street. If anything is evident in this day and age, the media gives fake news and the public gladly receives it. 

or maybe the "Raptors" and "Blue-Jay" effect doesn't exist in hockey and the TSN and SN media needs to step out of TO and look around.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

You have a lot of good points here.  I guess cdc'ers want a media that has a more positive slant like Toronto's?  So though you make some valid observations on negative media sensationalism in relation to general news..... why is it that we hear very little negative stories about the Leafs?. Though negative stories sell... They don't seem to subscribe to that same formula when it comes to TO teams.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

You have a lot of good points here.  I guess cdc'ers want a media that has a more positive slant like Toronto's?  So though you make some valid observations on negative media sensationalism in relation to general news..... why is it that we hear very little negative stories about the Leafs?. Though negative stories sell... They don't seem to subscribe to that same formula when it comes to TO teams.

Interesting point.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’d sooner be able to ice fish, play hockey outside, build snow forts with my kids then pay $9,000,000 for a bungalow built in 1947 with rain on my face every day. To be completely honest with you, most of Canada would never under any circumstances want to live in Vancouver.

Edited by Bubble Man