The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discuss) NHL news - negative slant compared to other teams or am I becoming a homer?

Rate this topic

Pete M

6 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

You have a lot of good points here.  I guess cdc'ers want a media that has a more positive slant like Toronto's?  So though you make some valid observations on negative media sensationalism in relation to general news..... why is it that we hear very little negative stories about the Leafs?. Though negative stories sell... They don't seem to subscribe to that same formula when it comes to TO teams.

That's an interesting question! Thanks for bringing that to the table.

Well, the obvious is the Leafs are the big ticket eastern market team where much of the media is based out of and they control the narrative. The eastern bias is real and to many fairly obvious.

I think it also plays into the TO as the "center of the universe" mentality, and that Toronto is the best away from hockey. People from TO wear that on their sleeve. The positive Leafs narrative across the country reinforces that.

And because of the "center of the universe" mentality, people of TO expect coverage to reflect that. So this is what sells and makes money in that market.

If you look at Vancouver, city wise, there's somewhat of an inferiority complex in our relationship to Toronto. TO sees us as inferior and we're always trying to fight for the same credibility. The media here in Vancouver, imo, plays into this duality and insecurity of not good enough.

So, the media in TO is working from a positive foundation feeding into a "we are the best" confidence whereas the Vancouver media is operating from a negative foundation that reinforces the "not good enough" insecurity.

Both make the media money from opposite places but also contribute to the culture in two different ways.

I could be wrong, who knows, but this is what comes to mind right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bubble Man said:

I’d sooner be able to ice fish, play hockey outside, build snow forts with my kids then pay $9,000,000 for a bungalow built in 1947 with rain on my face every day. To be completely honest with you, most of Canada would never under any circumstances want to live in Vancouver.

1 minute ago, Bubble Man said:

I’d sooner be able to ice fish, play hockey outside, build snow forts with my kids then pay $9,000,000 for a bungalow built in 1947 with rain on my face every day. To be completely honest with you, most of Canada would never under any circumstances want to live in Vancouver.

Which is why so many east of the Rockies retire here?  No one retires from here to there.  Old people, with the financial means, come here because cold, ice, and snow combined with extremely hot and humid summer conditions are dangerous to us.  

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

The “negativity” thing hit critical mass on twitter recently.. hilarious stuff.  

Funny how sensitive our media gets about being called out on their biases.  

Honestly... of course they’re going to be “negative” as the team has been horrible the last 4 seasons and in a decline for a few before that.  

For me, “negative” isn’t the issue - its the condescending, obnoxious and smarmy tone adopted in their writing that has caused me to stop reading.  

I also don’t need the reverse-poop sandwich (start with “Benning has been terrible, but....” and end with “the team is still horribly managed.”) every time I read about a “positive” thing.  

Yes, I find they have no problem mentioning circumstances that magnify the team's problems ( ie. weakness of the division/conference) but hand wave any extenuating circumstances (ie. injuries or schedule difficulty). That, to me, is where a bias is evident.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

A predictable fanbase is easy click-bait-money. 

If Canucks fans weren’t so easily outraged, this wouldn’t be a thing, but... connect the dots. 

We can thank the biting, hair pulling, diving and circus that was the Vancouver Canucks of the past decade for a deserving legacy of negative media attention.

Coupled with the loser rioters and also the victimhood/Outrage/conspiracy theory culture which definitely exists among this franchise’s fans, as can be seen by reactions to every non-petting article written about the team that gets posted on here, small wonder that people are making easy money with click-bait designed to troll the rabid fans out here.

Of course Canucks fans will continue to eagerly consume the product and who really cares how they react, as long as the articles are promoted, they win. Don’t be a sucker, I guess. No money in writing things nobody reads. Let that sink in, people. 

Botch was a master at this; made a living invoking fans’ feelz. 

It’s going to take a long time for the hockey world to forget what a circus this franchise was thanks to the likes of Burrows, the patron saint of this forum.

Finally there’s a roster here to command respect for itself and which will begin to erase the past. I am very thankful for this, JB. 

I think you nailed it well, 189. This thread would be like wondering why the news doesn't report on happy things more often instead of violence and whatever else. It sells. In Toronto, homerism towards the team sells non-stop because their fanbase has so many of them. In Vancouver, it's negativity because of the history of disappointments and the media creating a negative fanbase - you're right in that Burr and Kes didn't help things back in the day.

I'm not worrying, tho, because our dynasty in is place and after our third Cup win the naysayers will change their tune. Maybe.

• Upvote 1

Don’t get this much at all.  NHL.com doesn’t have the best people working for them but they do provide up to date information as well as a clean insight into the past regularly.   Sure they poked a bit about Boeser not been signed but it’s no different then other news on this if except they really have no skin in it, and really it was no big deal.  They recently downplayed the LE thing, and in that article quoted Benning saying that there is plenty left over for Boeser ... which there is as Rousell won’t be counting against the cap which they also reported.

My only complaint is they don’t say enough about the Canucks, would be nice if they did more articles, I read their news every single day and have for years.  It’s often accurate and fairly unbiased.  Especially compared to other news sources.    

I find the same about THN, they might have a slight lean towards what’s going on with TO and the East given who’d writing the articles and who they cheer for, but it’s not reflected in their quality and quantity of the articles, they tend to include each team fairly evenly unless something special is happening in which case they cover it fairly well.   Definitely don’t have an Eastern Bias.    And the difference between the two is THN has some of the best in the business writing the articles ... their Future Watch and ranking lists for all time greats is way, way above anyone else’s given the people the get together to produce them, next level stuff.  FYI both EP AND Boeser had cover stories and long articles written about them in their rookie years. 

Im sure fans from every different team feels they are also being under and or misrepresented by NHL.com.  The best thing about their site is that it’s current and everything that happens that matters at all is reported on.  And you don’t have to wait long to get the information.   Plus their constant review of important events in the past (this day in the NHL blah blah happened).  And they did a great job in covering the leagues top hundred players minus the fact Malkin was snubbed.  The site is easy to navigate and a great source for stats...no complaints here.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

That's an interesting question! Thanks for bringing that to the table.

Well, the obvious is the Leafs are the big ticket eastern market team where much of the media is based out of and they control the narrative. The eastern bias is real and to many fairly obvious.

I think it also plays into the TO as the "center of the universe" mentality, and that Toronto is the best away from hockey. People from TO wear that on their sleeve. The positive Leafs narrative across the country reinforces that.

And because of the "center of the universe" mentality, people of TO expect coverage to reflect that. So this is what sells and makes money in that market.

If you look at Vancouver, city wise, there's somewhat of an inferiority complex in our relationship to Toronto. TO sees us as inferior and we're always trying to fight for the same credibility. The media here in Vancouver, imo, plays into this duality and insecurity of not good enough.

So, the media in TO is working from a positive foundation feeding into a "we are the best" confidence whereas the Vancouver media is operating from a negative foundation that reinforces the "not good enough" insecurity.

Both make the media money from opposite places but also contribute to the culture in two different ways.

I could be wrong, who knows, but this is what comes to mind right now.

How is it with working class, middle class, education etc between the two cities?

Normally the hard workers with low education tends to be more negative, sensitive and the middle class with higher education is more tolerant, optimistic.

Edited by Timråfan

This is the only place that has a fan base that’s heavy in favour of JB. There are others like reddit that are more balanced but it’s negative for the most part. If you take all of the social media and media sources combined, it’s a resounding No to JB. 

A957E004-213C-4A70-B996-EF5F23B41232.png

Just now, Bubble Man said:

This is the only place that has a fan base that’s heavy in favour of JB. There are others like reddit that are more balanced but it’s negative for the most part. If you take all of the social media and media sources combined, it’s a resounding No to JB. 

A957E004-213C-4A70-B996-EF5F23B41232.png

These people are friggin’ morons.  :frantic:Elite young core.  Very good experienced supporting players.  Top quality goaltending.  Excellent prospects.  We are set up for a decade of great hockey.  Oh, and the Loser Leafs are going to continue to be Losers.  :sick:

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

These people are friggin’ morons.  :frantic:Elite young core.  Very good experienced supporting players.  Top quality goaltending.  Excellent prospects.  We are set up for a decade of great hockey.  Oh, and the Loser Leafs are going to continue to be Losers.  :sick:

Textbook rep farming easily 50-70 bushels/acre. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Textbook rep farming easily 50-70 bushels/acre. 

Like I said before.  I was a farmer, but now I have to live in a concrete cell (condo).  

Depends what I’m growing, but yes 50-70 bushels/acre is a good haul. 

Bubble Boy, you be funny. :frantic:

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I find the Canucks media to almost cheer against them, which is weird. The articles in the paper are usually pretty negative, focusing on the things Benning hasn't done yet. They like to talk about players who struggle and the doom and gloom. Today's article by Ed Willes (who I despise, but will read anyway), he talks about Benning signing all of these "middle guys" for more money than he thinks they're worth, and how that isn't a recipe for success. He also goes on to hint that he's unsure if Horvat is capable of scoring more goals to carry this team. Just rubbish. And this is the local guy lol TSN and SN are a whole other problem.  

Benning has made a lot of needed changes to this roster. There's still more work to do, but it is only mid-July. I have confidence by opening day, everyone will be signed and the roster will be set.

I don't really see any negative moves by Benning this off season. Flying under the radar is kind of good though too. At least if VAN loses and misses the playoffs, people aren't really surprised, and the Canadian media doesn't really talk about them anyway. But when the same Canadian media pumps the tires of a particular team all year (TOR) and they fail, well, that's just darn funny. Stupid media.      

This is pretty much how I've felt for years. Most of the media here are transplants from back east and it seems the rule of thumb is you don't have to do any actual journalism here if you just simply write something negative about the home team, then  job well done, give yourself a pat on the back and call it a day. Ben Kuzma and maybe Ian Macintyre are the two exception. 

Personally I'd like to say to Ed Willes, if you're going to channel the ghost of Tony Gallagher, at least wait until he's dead. Thanks Dr. Doom. 

I believe he insinuated in the article you mentioned earlier, that it's still undetermined whether Bo Horvat will ever BECOME a difference maker. If he doesn't know the answer to that by now he should look for a change of profession. Or just go back to Ontario 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Josepho said:

The Canucks have been the 2nd worst team collectively over the past 4 seasons, half of which were spent actively trying to make the playoffs and having all the moves fall flat on their face -- it's very obvious why there's negative emotions directed towards the team.

The Canucks have been a good team and a poor team over the last 50 years. Lately the fans have been spoiled with the West coast express era followed by the Sedin era. Four years of losing. You should have watched through the 80s. Before Pat took over and got us on the right track. We will rise again. The negative ones will grow quiet once we are in the winning circle again. I have watched all of the previous years and we will be competitive again but there will always be complaining unless we win a cup and have a parade. 

• Upvote 2

I'm pretty used to the media being against the Canucks by this point - and that comes from both league and sports sources, as well as Vancouver's own media. It just comes with the territory of being a Canucks fan these days.

I will say, however, how annoyed I get with the pro-Leafs articles everywhere you look. TSN is the biggest culprit here; I was on their site a few months ago and literally 90% of the NHL articles were about the Leafs.  Surprised they don't just change their website colour to blue it is so obvious. And almost everthing you read is about how amazing they are - yet they have a soft team that couldn't make it even a round in the playoffs. Whatever.

• Upvote 1