The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discuss) NHL news - negative slant compared to other teams or am I becoming a homer?

Rate this topic

Pete M

I believe the negative slant is because of the teams current state combined with sports radio having to fill a full day of hockey coverage. You can only beat the same subject over so many times. It's easier to create a negative narrative as it creates debate and discussion of how to improve things. 

I have been very critical of some members of our media but I do believe some scrunity is warranted. I feel we are starting to reach a point where the negative discussion is starting to become realistic.

That is largely due to the topic of conversation changing to are we a playoff team? Instead of the constant Jim is an idiot narrative lol. Jim is bright guy - I've found it frustrating listening to all the hate he's recieved. 

I've read through the lines of his actions and words. He's been on point of you do that. But that isn't a good talking point for sports radio.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

The Canucks have been a good team and a poor team over the last 50 years. Lately the fans have been spoiled with the West coast express era followed by the Sedin era. Four years of losing. You should have watched through the 80s. Before Pat took over and got us on the right track. We will rise again. The negative ones will grow quiet once we are in the winning circle again. I have watched all of the previous years and we will be competitive again but there will always be complaining unless we win a cup and have a parade. 

Just because one situation is worse than another doesn't mean the other situation can't be bad.

Vancouver has some pretty sad fans. It’s not just the negative fans either. If this city got behind the development by selling out games regardless of their record. FA wouldn’t be pressured out of a rebuild. I actually enjoyed these last few years just as much as any other time. I have no problem watching these kids develop, that’s partly the reason why I wanted a full rebuild. 

I don’t even enjoy going to the games because it’s a stale atmosphere with everyone looking at their phones. I wonder where the flying skate, pacific coliseum crew is at? I remember 1994, I was kid in Saskatchewan and we were all jets fans cheering on that magic Canuck team. That summer we all wanted to be canuck players in the street hockey games and this was halfway across Canada. That just doesn’t happen anymore. The rest of Canada definitely has a problem with this fan base. The over negativity (which I’m fully guilty of) along with the over sensitivity. We are crybabies from every angle. I couldn’t believe the difference between 1994 and 2011. It was sad. Then as soon as our team started it’s decline everyone bailed, ticket sales plummeted and finically a rebuild just wasn’t an option.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

Vancouver has some pretty sad fans. It’s not just the negative fans either. If this city got behind the development by selling out games regardless of their record. FA wouldn’t be pressured out of a rebuild. I actually enjoyed these last few years just as much as any other time. I have no problem watching these kids develop, that’s partly the reason why I wanted a full rebuild. 

I don’t even enjoy going to the games because it’s a stale atmosphere with everyone looking at their phones. I wonder where the flying skate, pacific coliseum crew is at? I remember 1994, I was kid in Saskatchewan and we were all jets fans cheering on that magic Canuck team. That summer we all wanted to be canuck players in the street hockey games and this was halfway across Canada. That just doesn’t happen anymore. The rest of Canada definitely has a problem with this fan base. The over negativity (which I’m fully guilty of) along with the over sensitivity. We are crybabies from every angle. I couldn’t believe the difference between 1994 and 2011. It was sad. Then as soon as our team started it’s decline everyone bailed, ticket sales plummeted and finically a rebuild just wasn’t an option.  

Well what do you expect when a team is in a down cycle. Do you expect them to be like Leaf fans?

One thing it is now way more expensive to attend games than back in 94 as wages have not come close to keeping up. Housing is also way more expensive. 

I live on the other side of the province and used to fly to the odd game. We would be able to buy packages that included flight, room, game tickets and transportation to and from games for about 1/8 of the cost for a months rent. Now I don’t even think these packages even exist and if they did you would be looking at 1/2 of a months rent. 

19 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

This is the only place that has a fan base that’s heavy in favour of JB. There are others like reddit that are more balanced but it’s negative for the most part. If you take all of the social media and media sources combined, it’s a resounding No to JB. 

A957E004-213C-4A70-B996-EF5F23B41232.png

Given what he has done in terms of changing the on ice team since truly taking over as GM (after the 'holding pattern' approach of Linden) he has done a well above average job.    I think there must simply be an incredible jealousy in much of the media/social media to the fact many of the fans of Vancouver get to live in such an incredible place.    For the vast majority of the NHL, there is simply no comparison in terms of geographical setting etc.

29 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Given what he has done in terms of changing the on ice team since truly taking over as GM (after the 'holding pattern' approach of Linden) he has done a well above average job.    I think there must simply be an incredible jealousy in much of the media/social media to the fact many of the fans of Vancouver get to live in such an incredible place.    For the vast majority of the NHL, there is simply no comparison in terms of geographical setting etc.

I don’t know if that’s totally accurate. It’s nice and everything but my god is it expensive. The taxes don’t help either. One of the biggest draws to Vancouver is actually its proximity to the Okanagan. It’s absolutely mind blowing how many NHL players live in the BC interior. I fly out of Kelowna for business and I’ve run into, Ken Holland, Nathan MacKinnon, Jerome Ignla, Duncan Keith, Andrew Ladd, Big Buff to name a few. I personally would never, ever live in Vancouver. It rains too much for someone who is already miserable 90% of the time. Very few people in North America want to live in Vancouver. Trust me. 

Edited by Bubble Man
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Well what do you expect when a team is in a down cycle. Do you expect them to be like Leaf fans?

One thing it is now way more expensive to attend games than back in 94 as wages have not come close to keeping up. Housing is also way more expensive. 

I live on the other side of the province and used to fly to the odd game. We would be able to buy packages that included flight, room, game tickets and transportation to and from games for about 1/8 of the cost for a months rent. Now I don’t even think these packages even exist and if they did you would be looking at 1/2 of a months rent. 

The oilers have sucked for longer than most CDC posters have been alive and they still sell out. Don’t give me that “there is nothing to do in Edmonton” BS either. Implying that Vancouver has all these recreational options at 7pm in the pouring rain, mid January. Vancouver fans are as fair weather as it gets. Only time we sell out games all season is when we are Stanley Cup faves. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bubble Man said:

The oilers have sucked for longer than most CDC posters have been alive and they still sell out. Don’t give me that “there is nothing to do in Edmonton” BS either. Implying that Vancouver has all these recreational options at 7pm in the pouring rain, mid January. Vancouver fans are as fair weather as it gets. Only time we sell out games all season is when we are Stanley Cup faves. 

That is exactly why the Oilers and the Leafs have sucked for so long. 

Read another beauty a couple days ago showing the odds of winning the cup. The headline was saying the Laffs are one of the favourites to win the cup. The Canucks of course were amongst the bottom teams well below teams like the Habs and Coyotes. 

On 7/15/2019 at 1:38 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Well said, Zepp. When I go on Bleacher Report, I usually have to wade through a stupid tweet from Grady Sas, finding the negatives in every single aspect of the Canucks operation, with almost gleeful exuberance.

These clowns have had the negativity ingrained into their heads by the likes of Patterson, Botchford, Price, Sekeres and many more Tony Gallagher disciples. I'm all for fair and impartial reporting, and do feel that Ben Kuzma might be the closest thing, along with Ryan Biech.  

Patrick Johnston, Botch's replacement, at The Province has been pretty solid as well.  Many positive articles and some forthright criticism. I've enjoyed his work. 

17 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Patrick Johnston, Botch's replacement, at The Province has been pretty solid as well.  Many positive articles and some forthright criticism. I've enjoyed his work. 

Johnston has been great. Good point. 

14 hours ago, Josepho said:

Just because one situation is worse than another doesn't mean the other situation can't be bad.

Just because we have been spoiled the last 20 years doesnt mean we never have to go through tough times either. Complaining doesnt make it better. If you havent seen the bad Canuck teams you cant appreciate the better ones. we will be better and it starts this year. Enjoy the ride because four years is not a ,long time to be bad

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2019 at 3:19 PM, Bubble Man said:

EP absolutely killed it in the Calder voting. That is the perfect example of us getting credit where credit is due. He is extremely hyped up by everyone in the media. The steal of his draft class, it’s reverberated around the league. 

It’s just that Canucks fans are the most thinned skinned biological matter on the planet. 

What do u mean?  Thinned skinned ha I have very thick skin.   Just ribbing  you, this post made me laugh out loud.  

I said it earlier and I will say it again, the worst media coverage is by far the stuff in and around Vancouver.   Negative nancies the bunch of them.   I really don’t get anyone who’s slighted by the supposed “Eastern Bias”, other then the amount of TO coverage it’s really not there.  They don’t have any skin in Vancouver and really often don’t even have much of a clue what’s going on, parroting is the name of the game.  EP heated up with ten goals in ten games to start the season and all of a sudden they had something other then the Sedins

Then EP had a few five point  games and an endorsement from the great one himself and he was interesting too.   No skill coach or really extra help at all...and doing better then anyone in his draft class to boot, heck at one point he was almost tops in the league for PPG...getting injured by a-holes also led to some great articles, Ken Campbell’s in particular.  Heck he even got a cover story from THN last year as a rookie, and they did such good work that it was revealed an old staff member was the one who insisted they come and scout him.   Benning gave the credit to Delmore as he’s the one who pushed for the pick....but it was not him that discovered EP for Vancouver

Media out here really  isn’t much different then it is out west.  They just constantly talk about the closest team (in my case the Sens, but at least it’s better then reporting on what type of sandwich AM had for lunch).  The ONLY time they talk about the Canucks here at all period is when they come to town ... maybe a little about EP too but it’s old regurgitated news.    I mean how often does the Vancouver media talk about any other team really?  Not often and definitely not about any team out East...well maybe a little about the maple laughs.     

As far as thick skin, well maybe newbies that only watched the WCE and Sedin teams have thin skin, pretty sure anyone who followed the Linden teams and went through the Keenan era or earlier have a lot of callous build up.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

On 7/16/2019 at 12:15 PM, Bubble Man said:

I personally would never, ever live in Vancouver. It rains too much for someone who is already miserable 90% of the time. Very few people in North America want to live in Vancouver. Trust me. 

Really?   The statistics don't show that to be correct (no one wanting to live in Vancouver - a city that constantly ranks as one of the most desirable cities to live in across the world in spite of the high prices).   From what I can find on internet, the rain thing is a bit of a myth as Vancouver has many portions that are quite dry and it is only right near the mountains that get quite wet (which is why so much snow on them too I guess).    

From internet:

South Vancouver - Temperatures average 23 °C/73 °F in summer and 6 °C/43 °F in winter. Annual rainfall averages 1,064mm/42ins.

New York - Annual high temperature:    62.3°F, Annual low temperature:    48°F, Average temperature:    55.15°F, Average annual precipitation - rainfall:    46.23 inch

PS - why miserable 90% of the time?   I hope all is ok.   

• Upvote 1

Well here we go again. Was just reading an eastern article on MSN on winners and losers in free agency.

"It is hard to imagine what the plan is for this team. They have two great young players in Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser, but that is about it.

General manager Jim Benning keeps signing aging depth players to long-term contracts in what appears to be a desperate attempt to sneak in the playoffs and save his job.

Vancouver will probably not make the playoffs. Five years for Tyler Myers? Crazy stuff."

The funny part is that of course the Laffs were winners. Yup that's all he had, the Canucks were losers because they signed Myers for 5 years.

No mention of the two other rather significant signings. No mention of Quinn Hughes. All in all a pretty sad attempt at sports journalism.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1