The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discuss) NHL news - negative slant compared to other teams or am I becoming a homer?

Rate this topic

Pete M

5 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Well here we go again. Was just reading an eastern article on MSN on winners and losers in free agency.

"It is hard to imagine what the plan is for this team. They have two great young players in Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser, but that is about it.

General manager Jim Benning keeps signing aging depth players to long-term contracts in what appears to be a desperate attempt to sneak in the playoffs and save his job.

Vancouver will probably not make the playoffs. Five years for Tyler Myers? Crazy stuff."

The funny part is that of course the Laffs were winners. Yup that's all he had, the Canucks were losers because they signed Myers for 5 years.

No mention of the two other rather significant signings. No mention of Quinn Hughes. All in all a pretty sad attempt at sports journalism.

Oxymoron 

On 7/15/2019 at 2:19 PM, Hogs & Podz said:

You have a lot of good points here.  I guess cdc'ers want a media that has a more positive slant like Toronto's?  So though you make some valid observations on negative media sensationalism in relation to general news..... why is it that we hear very little negative stories about the Leafs?. Though negative stories sell... They don't seem to subscribe to that same formula when it comes to TO teams.

Ewww no. I'd be thrilled with something even resembling fair, balanced and fact based. There's a few guys who hit that mark (Canucks just hired one) but they're far from the norm.

On 7/15/2019 at 4:37 PM, Bubble Man said:

This is the only place that has a fan base that’s heavy in favour of JB. There are others like reddit that are more balanced but it’s negative for the most part. If you take all of the social media and media sources combined, it’s a resounding No to JB. 

The 'noisy 10%' =/= majority.

Edited by aGENT

On 7/16/2019 at 7:49 AM, Bubble Man said:

Vancouver has some pretty sad fans. It’s not just the negative fans either. If this city got behind the development by selling out games regardless of their record. FA wouldn’t be pressured out of a rebuild. I actually enjoyed these last few years just as much as any other time. I have no problem watching these kids develop, that’s partly the reason why I wanted a full rebuild. 

I don’t even enjoy going to the games because it’s a stale atmosphere with everyone looking at their phones. I wonder where the flying skate, pacific coliseum crew is at? I remember 1994, I was kid in Saskatchewan and we were all jets fans cheering on that magic Canuck team. That summer we all wanted to be canuck players in the street hockey games and this was halfway across Canada. That just doesn’t happen anymore. The rest of Canada definitely has a problem with this fan base. The over negativity (which I’m fully guilty of) along with the over sensitivity. We are crybabies from every angle. I couldn’t believe the difference between 1994 and 2011. It was sad. Then as soon as our team started it’s decline everyone bailed, ticket sales plummeted and finically a rebuild just wasn’t an option.  

I don't think this is a direct reflection of "the fanbase", more so, the city itself as it changes.

Things are changing and this is becoming an Air BnB haven where many people are just passing through.  Many are leaving the city as it becomes more and more inaffordable and families are being replaced by empty condos.  The people who can afford to live here are often scraping by and can't afford luxuries like a game night anymore.  

I don't buy the cry babies thing.  At all.  I mean, as a team with loyal fans for decades without a cup, we have more reason than others TO cry.  How about new teams who make it to the playoffs then "whine" about reffing?  Heh.  Pay yer dues...welcome to the club.

We're not much different than other fans ... except we do tend to stick around despite the rough patches.

I don't believe the empty seats represent fans not caring.   Fans are relocating or broke.

This site is testament to the fact that we do have a loyal following.  

I'm not sure that "financially a rebuild wasn't an option" is true.

I view the rest of Canada's "issues with this fanbase" (if there are any more prominent that the norm) to be their issue, not mine/ours.  

I think we need to get behind/support each other if we expect the rest of the country to do so?  Lead by example.

As for the slant....we've had some unfair bias against us at times and that stuff sticks and can snowball.  Ever since the Bertuzzi deal, it's escalated as we've had a black mark on us.  Pre-dating that was Roger Neilson.    When you go against the grain, it ruffles some chicken feathers.

On 7/15/2019 at 4:37 PM, Bubble Man said:

This is the only place that has a fan base that’s heavy in favour of JB. There are others like reddit that are more balanced but it’s negative for the most part. If you take all of the social media and media sources combined, it’s a resounding No to JB. 

A957E004-213C-4A70-B996-EF5F23B41232.png

That poll question doesn't really confirm that social media is a "resounding No to JB"; they needed another "Fire him" option.  There are a lot of people that support Jim Benning for one more year, but if he fails again they would probably like to see a change.  The people who want to see JB fired right away are the minority everywhere except maybe HFBoards; but even there, judging by various poll questions, it seems that it's still a minority just an extremely vocal one.

• Upvote 1

here's yet another opinion of our team...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/winners-and-losers-from-2019-nhl-free-agency/ss-AAEvCsg?ocid=spartandhp#image=21

here's the clown that wrote this garbage...

Adam Gretz

adamgretz-5c1468a346e0fb0001403727.jpg

Experience

Adam Gretz is a former writer for ThoughtCo who contributed articles about hockey for approximately one year. Although he began as a generalist sports writer, Adam soon discovered that his passion was hockey. By the mid-2000s, he began to take a broader, analytical approach to the game, and now writes about hockey exclusively. Adam spent more than three years covering the NHL for CBS Sports, trying to discern the underlying reasons a team will win or lose. Adam's use of a systemic review of game data from both players and teams helps him to recognize patterns and develop unique storylines.

Adam’s work is featured regularly on numerous media outlets including CBS Sports, MSN, Deadspin, SB Nation, Pittsburgh City Paper, Sporting News, and others. Adam has been a member of Professional Hockey Writers Association (PHWA) since 2015. He also served as one of the editors of the paperback, Hockey Prospectus 2014–15 (CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2014). The book combines a systematic analytical review of the 2013-2014 season and cutting humor to explain the measurable performance of players and teams

Edited by goog16

52 minutes ago, smokes said:

Can we keep JB as the President so he can be in charge of Drafting and hire a GM who can actually make trades?

Give me a break...the JT Miller trade was a very good trade. I am also really liking the Pearson trade. The Sutter trade was fine other than injuries and a slight over payment on the contract. Guddy trade was derailed by a shoulder injury which left Guddy unable to do half his job which was being a tough guy. A second for Bear was a steal. 

Yes some did not turn out but at the time they did not seem terrible. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/15/2019 at 8:05 PM, Undrafted said:

The answer is simple: The Leafs are owned by two of the largest media conglomerates in Canada, Rogers and Bell, who also own Sportsnet and TSN respectively.  Obviously, they're not going to say anything negative about the team they actually own and that's also why both over-saturate their TV and websites with Leafs propaganda.  And having lived in Toronto for years, I can tell you that the biggest consumers of negative Vancouver articles are actually Leafs fans in Toronto: they LOVE bashing the West Coast over just about everything

I have been trying to point this out for a long time and am glad someone else sees it. The team is literally owned by the fake news media so why can't  some people see that?Their bias is easily shown when it comes to the Leaf's vs any other team. They do it in all other forms of media too (print, tv internet sites radio etc) and the same way only push certain agendas and demonise others. I will never cheer for them as long as the fake news media owns them 

18 hours ago, gerry35 said:

I have been trying to point this out for a long time and am glad someone else sees it. The team is literally owned by the fake news media so why can't  some people see that?Their bias is easily shown when it comes to the Leaf's vs any other team. They do it in all other forms of media too (print, tv internet sites radio etc) and the same way only push certain agendas and demonise others. I will never cheer for them as long as the fake news media owns them 

Building up the Laffs is one thing but trashing other Canadian teams when they are the only national coverage is just awful. Hope it costs them and it will over time. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just going to leave this here. 

Vancouver media's finest ...

Vancouver Canada's Saddest Sports City

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/patrick-johnston-welcome-to-vancouver-canadas-saddest-sports-city

Nothing Has Changed Since Trevor Linden Left

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/patrick-johnston-trevor-linden-left-the-canucks-a-year-ago-not-much-has-changed

I think we have an overly negative fanbase, and are seen negatively in media for certain. The latter is especially true when articles like the above come out by people who really don't know jack. 

We were in a rebuild.  One could argue that Linden was right and we should have delayed it for a bit - so we'll see, but this was the time they decided to push so this is the team we are largely signed to. I think there would be a strong expectation from many that this team will fail, no matter when they flicked the switch.

I am virtually sure we will shock a lot of media guys. Save for a couple more high end players (who might be in the pipeline) and some experience that this will be a really good team sooner than many think.

I haven't been so enthusiastic for a season in a long time, so I am kinda surprised few (any?) writers are echoing such thoughts. I know such words would be going completely against the media grain, but someone out there must have the balls and requisite hockey knowledge to see how much better this team now is.

They will see soon enough I guess.

On 8/3/2019 at 12:56 AM, CanadianRugby said:

In 2011 the national media was very anti-Canuck, and Canuck fans had every right to be mad about that.

Recently though the Canucks have stunk for years so of course the media is going to be "negative" about the team.  If you're mad about that then yeah @Pete M IMO you're becoming a homer. 

I think JB is finally getting things right....still cautious about his decisions because he has made some bad moves that made the team finish 2nd and 3rd from last.

Bringing in JT Miller, Benn, Myers and Ferland all good defensive players who can contribute on the score board...bigger, faster, stronger and with skill are good moves by JB. There is quality there, but he isn't recognized by these so called experts, yet.

Even this years draft was good by Benning along with the last two years of drafting (it helps finish near last place)...this year he picked 10th & 40th (Podz,and Hogz) still got good players that fit the bigger, faster, stronger and with skill....even Keppen looks promising.

I'm positive when it is warranted....but still cautiously optimistic.

11 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Positive fans will make the Canucks great again? 

Critical fans will do what? At the end of the day they both have about as much impact on the team as the other.... one group just enjoys themselves more :rolleyes: