The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]: Gaudette + Virtanen + Demko + Stecher + Tryamkin rights for 2020 lottery 1st (at the 2020 draft)

5 hours ago, the grinder said:

yep definitely a top 5 stupidest post  of the summer ,   like dude seriously   think about what you post ,    if Schneider equals Horvat   in trade value demko is worth the same , and then you want to throw in  2 dmen and 2 forwards just for kicks  , smoke another one lol  and perhaps listen to what gm jb says every time he is not   I repeat not trading away young players    , and what gm is gonna is going to trade away a no 1 over all pick  ,  

Demko = Schneider?

Perhaps in the future he will but that’s not even close to being true right now.  Schneider was already a great back that pretty much took over the #1 position during his final year here before being traded for that 9th.   Demko meanwhile, is just getting his feet wet as an NHL back-up.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

44 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yep, let's give up all our cheap, young depth right when we're in a position to contend...

Those guys are all RFA’s that will need to be re-upped *before* we Sign Pettersson and Hughes in two years.

Moving Eriksson + letting all of our UFA’s go within these two years + the expected cap increase over these next two years = us only breaking even in terms of being able to sign all of Markstrom, Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes (approximately 26.5 million).   

That’s why I suggested moving all of those RFA’s in one crazy deal.   Try and go after a Top 5 2020 1st (or even Top 3?) and possibly get a future superstar that won’t serve as a cap hindrance in terms of signing Pettersson and Hughes.

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We have over 30 mill coming off the books by 2021. We're fine :picard:

37 million if we include all of our UFA’s, but 10.5 million of that (Edler and Tanev money)  will likely still need to be re-invested back into our D.   

-If Tryamkin returns and the Canucks intend to keep him, he will pretty much replace Tanev and get Tanev’s money (we would then walk from Tanev).

-IF you move on from Edler in two years, the following needs to be true:

1) Hughes has successfully developed into a top pairing LD (which I think is very likely).

2) Someone like Juolevi or someone else within the system becomes a very good 2nd pairing dman (right now, not looking likely).

3) Someone from within the system becomes a good 3rd pairing dman (right now, this might be Juolevi.....and I’m being optimistic, but that would just mean that we’d need another Top 4 dman............and so that 6 million from Edler would be re-invested into another UFA dman).........otherwise, that defense is going to be extremely weak.

So, that now becomes 26.5 million needed to re-Sign Boeser (7 million), Hughes (5.5 million), Markstrom (5 million), and Pettersson (9 million.......and I’m being conservative).

-Pretend we move Eriksson (zero retention), and then all of our other UFA’s over these next two years.

-Sutter

-Baertschi 

-Pearson

-Fantenberg 

-Leivo

-Benn

-Biega

-Motte

-[Im pretty sure I’m missing a few names]

And then you take all of the above, and add that to the expected salary cap increase [20212022 cap ceiling - 20192020cap].

Perhaps I’m wrong, but I think we just barely break even in terms of hitting that projected 26.5 million.   Hence, my suggestion (albeit, a crazy one) of moving all of our RFA’s for a 2020 lottery pick (that package I proposed likely gets you into the Top 5 - maybe another Pettersson coming back our way).

10 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

37 million if we include all of our UFA’s, but 10.5 million of that (Edler and Tanev money)  will likely still need to be re-invested back into our D.   

-If Tryamkin returns and the Canucks intend to keep him, he will pretty much replace Tanev and get Tanev’s money (we would then walk from Tanev).

-IF you move on from Edler in two years, the following needs to be true:

1) Hughes has successfully developed into a top pairing LD (which I think is very likely).

2) Someone like Juolevi or someone else within the system becomes a very good 2nd pairing dman (right now, not looking likely).

3) Someone from within the system becomes a good 3rd pairing dman (right now, this might be Juolevi.....and I’m being optimistic, but that would just mean that we’d need another Top 4 dman............and so that 6 million from Edler would be re-invested into another UFA dman).........otherwise, that defense is going to be extremely weak.

So, that now becomes 26.5 million needed to re-Sign Boeser (7 million), Hughes (5.5 million), Markstrom (5 million), and Pettersson (9 million.......and I’m being conservative).

-Pretend we move Eriksson (zero retention), and then all of our other UFA’s over these next two years.

-Sutter

-Baertschi 

-Pearson

-Fantenberg 

-Leivo

-Benn

-Biega

-Motte

-[Im pretty sure I’m missing a few names]

And then you take all of the above, and add that to the expected salary cap increase [20212022 cap ceiling - 20192020cap].

Perhaps I’m wrong, but I think we just barely break even in terms of hitting that projected 26.5 million.   Hence, my suggestion (albeit, a crazy one) of moving all of our RFA’s for a 2020 lottery pick (that package I proposed likely gets you into the Top 5 - maybe another Pettersson coming back our way).

We have a ton of options between now and then, most of which don't include gutting our our team by stripping ourselves of every good, affordable young player we have right when we should be reaching the upper echelon of the conference. 

9 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

edit - we make this trade at the 2020 draft.......not now.  I forgot to include this detail.

[Proposal]:  Gaudette + Virtanen + Demko + Stecher + Tryamkin rights for 2020 lottery 1st

Let me preface this post by saying that the *only* reason why I’d consider doing something insane like this, is because I don’t think the Canucks will have enough cap space to re-up their RFA’s over these next two seasons:

Over the next two seasons, the Canucks will have to find a way to re-Sign the following players:

1) Brock Boeser

2) Jacob Markstrom (unless Demko pulls a Binnington or a Murray which would allow us to the proceed forward with Demko....,but I don’t see this happening).

3) Elias Pettersson

4) Quinn Hughes 

5) Edler and Tanev (either re-signing these two directly, OR, using this freed-up 10.5 million in cap to find their Defensive UFA equivalents so that our defense stays solid).

Long story short - we need about 26.5 million in freed up cap space to sign Boeser, Markstrom, Pettersson, and Hughes.

The way I see it, moving on from our upcoming UFA’s these next two years + moving on from Eriksson + the difference in 2021/2022 cap ceiling from the 2019/2020 cap ceiling will put us at or close to the 26.5 million in cap.

Therefore, I don’t think we will have the cap space to re-up our RFA’s outside of Pettersson and Hughes.......but this doesn’t have to be a bad thing:  

What I’m asking for is likely unrealistic (probably laughable), but I think if the Canucks can “cash in” and trade their Green Houses for a Red Hotel so to speak, 

1) It would give us some much needed cap space needed to re-Sign Pettersson and Hughes.

2) We would recoup the first that we lost to Tampa.

3) Assuming my above package gets us into the Top 10 (Top 5?), we’d have another huge asset that could be a big factor for us in 2022-2023 and beyond (by the looks of things, I think this is the year where our management truly expects us to be a legit cup contender).

I wonder if a team like Ottawa would be willing to dance with us on the above proposal at next year’s draft?  

In 2022-2023, we’d possibly be in the following situation:

1) Pettersson re-signed 

2) Markstrom signed 

3) Hughes signed

4) Boeser signed 

5) Miller still on his “sweetheart” deal

6) Podkolzin here and primed to be a factor

7) Horvat still on his sweetheart deal

8) Madden here 

9) Dipietro here as the back-up.

10) Either two 2020 1sts in our line, or one 2020 1st and 2021 1st in our line-up

11) Edler and Tanev replacements or they themselves (10.5 million either re-invested into these two, or re-invested into our top 4 dmen).

12) Woo

13) Juolevi

Did any of this sound smart when you were typing it?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Those guys are all RFA’s that will need to be re-upped *before* we Sign Pettersson and Hughes in two years.

Moving Eriksson + letting all of our UFA’s go within these two years + the expected cap increase over these next two years = us only breaking even in terms of being able to sign all of Markstrom, Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes (approximately 26.5 million).   

That’s why I suggested moving all of those RFA’s in one crazy deal.   Try and go after a Top 5 2020 1st (or even Top 3?) and possibly get a future superstar that won’t serve as a cap hindrance in terms of signing Pettersson and Hughes.

Read my post explaining how we’re fine for cap space then try again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

ya 5 nhlers for a possible nhler no thanks  virt is scoring 25 this yr gauds getting 15 and demko will push marky as our number 1 so hell no 

Off topic but I figured it would be a good time to remind you it’s been five years. 

Check my sig ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Read my post explaining how we’re fine for cap space then try again. 

I read it and it’s not bad, but I’d like to see more details if possible.

Here is a detailed breakdown of what I came up with a few days ago:   The part in Quotations was my analysis *without* Ferland.   My response to my quote was me adding in the Ferland salary.

Please feel free to correct.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Demko = Schneider?

Perhaps in the future he will but that’s not even close to being true right now.  Schneider was already a great back that pretty much took over the #1 position during his final year here before being traded for that 9th.   Demko meanwhile, is just getting his feet wet as an NHL back-up.

yep  Demko does equal Schneider , he is one of better goalies not playing full time, if demko was on the market he would fetch us a first rounder not a top 5 pick  but a pick around 8 -15    but whatever   at least  the value and trade is more realistic  

4 minutes ago, the grinder said:

yep  Demko does equal Schneider , he is one of better goalies not playing full time, if demko was on the market he would fetch us a first rounder not a top 5 pick  but a pick around 8 -15    but whatever   at least  the value and trade is more realistic  

I do hope you’re right.  

Still - if the package that I suggest could give this team another Pettersson caliber prospect (while helping us with what I perceive to be our upcoming cap issues), isn’t that a deal you make 10 out of 10 times?

Edited by Hindustan Smyl