Sign in to follow this  
Arrow 1983

What the Nylander contract negotiations taught the agents of all these RFAs and how it can really affect the Canucks cap issue. I highly suggest for all to read this.

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

This will be my last post till the season starts, So have a great summer.

Ask yourself what happen when Nylander signed his contract after the season started. It got prorated. It was great for Toronto and Nylander last season, because they had tons of cap and now Toronto has a smaller cap hit on Nylander. Pension plan Puppets has a great article on it essential by signing later in the season the first season was prorated making the last 6 seasons cap hit at just over 6.9 mill instead of 7.5 mill.  read this article to really understand what I'm talking about if you don't fully understand how contracts work in the NHL, https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2018/12/4/18122067/william-nylander-the-salary-cap-and-you-toronto-maple-leafs

Now ask yourself this question, what would happen if Boesers or even worst but not for us Marner got prorated or any other team close to the cap ceiling.

Lets just considers Marners contract first for a second. Lets say he holds out and then a 1/4 through the season he signs a contract for 11 mill per season just using simple round numbers for this calculation. 11million prorated = 11*1.25= 13.75 million let that settle in and ask yourself how does the great Dubas fit that into his Cap space LOL.

But Wait.....

How about Boeser, he has no arbitration rights and can not be offer sheeted, the Canucks hold all the power except lets play out a little scenario.

Boeser Hold out then signs a contract a 1/4 into the season what does that look like prorated. Lets say he signs for 4 years 6.5 mill, the first year would be prorated. 6.5*1.25=8.125 mill now Benning has to find $8.125 mill in cap space now.

This my friends just gave Boeser and his agent and ever other RFA and their agent on teams close to the cap ceiling Leverage.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Confused 4

Why would Boeser or anyone else hold out? It’s rare in the NHL. Once Marner signs the market will be set and the dominoes will fall. 

• Upvote 4

This is where drafting "character" guys pays off. A guy like Boeser wouldn't do that. At least I think not.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ButterBean said:

Why would Boeser or anyone else hold out? It’s rare in the NHL. Once Marner signs the market will be set and the dominoes will fall. 

I will explain why it is good For RFAs to hold out,

before a player coming off a ELC contract wasn't worth much and still had lots to prove so maybe he signs 2-3 year deal and then gets to his arbitration rights which was designed to stop what I just posted from happening either the team could sign the player or walk away and the negotiations would be over. Now the RFAs after their ELC means so much more to a team and they want more money but have no leverage.

I was thinking about what Dubas said and how they will get as creative  as possible with Marners contract.

Then I realized this rule could also help a team.

What if Boeser or Marner, first year salary was 4 million and a lot more for the other years lets say a 8 year deal.

You wait 1 day after the season starts and and then sign the contract. First year would be prorated to 4.05 mill and the other 7 would be higher. works both ways 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I was thinking about what Dubas said and how they will get as creative  as possible with Marners contract.

Then I realized this rule could also help a team.

What if Boeser or Marner, first year salary was 4 million and a lot more for the other years lets say a 8 year deal.

You wait 1 day after the season starts and and then sign the contract. First year would be prorated to 4.05 mill and the other 7 would be higher. works both ways 

forgot to put this in for those that say wait Boeser would miss training camp that's not true a player can opt to go to training camp or opt out. Most players opt out well they have no contract but a player can actually go to training camp if he so wishes.

Edited by Arrow 1983

i think the general response to the nylander contract

is that teams will not do an in season signing so late like that again

it turned out horribly from a hockey perspective for both the player and team

and toronto was stupid to cave and sign him in december

even they realize that

if a player chooses to hold out

i think they better expect to miss a season

remember this is more about hockey then money

nylander made it more about money

as far as i'm concerned i'd rather have him dig ditches in sweden

or i'd trade him ...

rather then give him or any other player a contract in december

and certainly not one with that signing bonus

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I don't see Boeser holding out. He has too much character for that and I don't see Benning being unreasonable either. As long as both sides are fair as expected, a deal is to be made.

• Upvote 2