The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes re-sign Gustav Forsling

Above average skater with a good hockey IQ and really strong defensive positioning.  Unfortunately his physical strength is roughly the equivalent of a first year bantam.  Just a huge liability against any forward with size.

• Upvote 1

He is waiver eligible and arbitration eligible next year. If he has a good year, he could get paid the year after.

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

70 k in the minors is pure nasty.  Guy is off the Europe when he gets sent down.  

Even Swedish league players make more than that. But his hands were tied and qualifying offers are barebones contracts.

Edited by Baer.

3 minutes ago, Baer. said:

He is waiver eligible and arbitration eligible next year. If he has a good year, he could get paid the year after.

Even Swedish league players make more than that. But his hands were tied and qualifying offers are barebones contracts.

Agreed.  He will try to make the big club.  He won’t.  He will go to Europe, and make double the 70 k.  He’s a skilled guy, but too small and soft for the NHL.  If he could drive offence, he’d have a career here, but he doesn’t because he’s soft.  

For those writing him off.....don’t be so quick to do that.  The fact he could make more money overseas AND be closer to home tells you he has a desire to make it in the NHL.  A motivated player can accomplish a lot more than an uninspired one.  Granted it doesn’t always result in a happy ending (see Rodin) but the guy does have some skills.  

People laugh at this guy, but where’s Clendening and what exactly is he doing at the NHL level? 90 games played, 26 years old. Forsling is 23, 122 games played. Yeah CDC overrated him but he’s at least fighting tooth and nail to carve out an NHL career. Maybe the softer east benefits his game.

15 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Above average skater with a good hockey IQ and really strong defensive positioning.  Unfortunately his physical strength is roughly the equivalent of a first year bantam.  Just a huge liability against any forward with size.

Sounds like our beloved Troy Stecher to me. We traded him away for nothing though so I guess we have to say something to make ourselves feel better. 

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

Sounds like our beloved Troy Stecher to me. We traded him away for nothing though so I guess we have to say something to make ourselves feel better. 

Stretcher is way more successful at playing physical than Forsling. Stretch is a gamer who loses some battles but makes up for it with his tenacity. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, rekker said:

Stretcher is way more successful at playing physical than Forsling. Stretch is a gamer who loses some battles but makes up for it with his tenacity. 

It's incredible what a puck hound he is.  I love how often he comes out of the corner with the puck. In that respect, he plays bigger than his size.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1