The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Will Be a Tougher Team in 2019-20

Rate this topic

SwaggyCanuckMZ

3 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

We could be having MR. OLLI O. join the team and be that slick defense man who passes the puck to people at the right times ,that will make it a lot tougher on the opposition than just the physical play.

Bobby Orr never really went around popping people, but that dude could skate and pass the puck,that's why he is one of the greatest players of all time and more the style winning teams are made from,if you get what I'm saying.

A bona fide Norris Trophy candidate is what champion teams have, and what the Canucks need badly.

If OJ can become our Roman Josi, I would be ecstatic, that's the player I see as most comparable to his style (minus the hitting, although Josi is no overly physical but he can hit).

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

I get what your saying but he doesn’t fight often enough or at least hasn’t in the past for that to be a factor unless he completely goes full “enforcer” at some point later on because his skills erode or doesn’t get the ice time.   Complaints about him from former CAL fans were that he tends to avoid the big men that can fight and doesn’t stick up enough for his star players .... which is kind of counterintuitive for this article.  I’m sure the truth is somewhere inbetween.

Looking at his career fights he has a few against decent fighters, most of them are not.   Last year he fought 6 times tying his most in a year, done one other time, and then seasons of one or two per year, around what Horvat does.  Career wise in five years he’s fought about the same as an average  enforcer used too in their hey-days.  

Doesn’t mean he won’t be a deterrent, he has decent size and throws some mean punches.   His game is contact, reminds me a little of Darren McCarty that way and even Brad May, a tough player with some skill too.   He fought more then he did the past two seasons probably because it was a contract year and that he was struggling with concussion issues earlier.

All that said I’m happy we have him and could see him getting a chance to play with EP and Boeser like the article said, I truly think that EP was getting mobbed way too much down the stretch and it got in his head and also hope that Ferland can and is willing to help put a stop to that.  Also have some hopes that he can have a career year point wise playing with these guy or Horvat.

Edit:  sad thing about the article might be the most important information...how many times we have beat Vegas and SJ the last couple years ... what was it again?  3 times?  Hard to believe.. SJ isn’t going to as good this year, and won’t be nearly as good when we start peaking in three years either...Vegas is definitely still and in the future our biggest competition.  Glass almost ready and some are calling him the next Toews already.  SJ has little in the pipe and are aging fast plus have lost Pavelski and maybe Thornton although I could see him signing a really cheap contract for one more kick at the can with them...

The thing about Ferland is that he is not the player who broke in with Calgary years ago. He has developed as a player and his offence is often more valuable than sitting in the penalty box. His rep as fighter has also likely deterred those who might challenge him. Very happy with the signing.   

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The thing about Ferland is that he is not the player who broke in with Calgary years ago. He has developed as a player and his offence is often more valuable than sitting in the penalty box. His rep as fighter has also likely deterred those who might challenge him. Very happy with the signing.   

He's undergone a bit of maturing and life changes, too, that probably have him "react" a bit differently as I'd guess he's inclined to think about the what if's a bit more.   I'm sure that natural tendency to go when pushed is still there but is likely tempered.  I agree - more valuable as a weapon on ice than in the box.  But it's nice to know he can bring that side if he decides to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Me too.  He’s at a reasonable cap hit and is a big part in helping change a soft culture that has existed in this team for quite some time, which has bothered me for a while.  I’ve said it many times in the past we can be a bottom team but don’t need to be pushed around, it’s the only thing about the Keenan era that made it somewhat palatable we always had some warriors and weren’t soft.   Something Benning tried to add at the beginning but never really got there and failed miserably during the actual rebuild phase...lots of tough guys available for cheap that we could have iced instead of an overpaid bottom six. 

I like that the article also brought up JV, I agree that Ferland will help him realize how to play that role (heavy game) and be responsible defensively while also pitching in on he scoreboard.  Benn too to a certain degree defensively.   This is not at all the same team anymore, it might take some time to settle in and for everyone to gel the same way, but I’m confident they will get there.   If the game gets rough there is pushback players on every line now.  I’m almost sure at some point something will happen that will also help galvanize this mentality and add an element of bravery and swagger to the team.

Way back when Probert was traded to CHI I will never forget what Roenick said “he makes the guys feel two inches taller”.  With all these no nonsense and sizeable players arriving I’m pretty sure that it will have a very positive affect on the rest of the team, they will know they have each other’s back and pretty sure there will be a culture shift.  No way will there be another Matheson type play without serious and instant retribution.

edit:  Benn has a history of not putting up with his guys getting hit hard ... had a pretty good bout against Jorge’s and technically isn’t a bad fighter, great at little blocks like Rypien was.  Tough as nails too, can’t believe we got him at this cap hit, one of the steals so far as a free agent.  We haven’t seen his best yet either...wouldn’t surprise me at all if he gets another contract with us and is a big part of the team the next six years or so.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

Hi right back to Quinn,love his style, but how many 5'10" Norris trophy winners have there been in NHL history.I fear the play-off intensity may be too much for him.

Of course it didn't stop smaller guys like Mr. Gretzky or McDavid  from dominating in the playoffs,but those are forwards and very different circumstances.Tory Krug of the Bruins is about the only guy I can think of that holds his own but he has Chara to back him up.With Mr. Myers and Possibly Mr. Tryamkin coming in we could soon be off to the Playoffs once again,and maybe even win the Ultimate prize the Stanley Cup ,even more than just once,

Dynasty Anyone.

46 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Hi right back to Quinn,love his style, but how many 5'10" Norris trophy winners have there been in NHL history.I fear the play-off intensity may be too much for him.

Of course it didn't stop smaller guys like Mr. Gretzky or McDavid  from dominating in the playoffs,but those are forwards and very different circumstances.Tory Krug of the Bruins is about the only guy I can think of that holds his own but he has Chara to back him up.With Mr. Myers and Possibly Mr. Tryamkin coming in we could soon be off to the Playoffs once again,and maybe even win the Ultimate prize the Stanley Cup ,even more than just once,

Dynasty Anyone.

Harvey?  Not sure how tall he was but he was built like a bull.   Got your point though, Rafalski and Ellis come to mind but there always is a first...Gretzky is 6 plus feet, although built like a twig...got your point.  Krug is a little tank too, like St Louis but on defense.   Fluery is smallest of the smallest and most successful at that size 5’4” 140lbs when he came in...and in a much tougher era 

Finally the reign of terrorism against vancouver looks to be over, i got flamed when i posted for wanting bigger players quite a bit in favour smaller faster players but every team needs that balance and whoever has the best balance wins. This was why i was very excited JB was hired as GM because he was with the B's and had experienced what it took to get there and not just some soft as butter seasonal team that we had for so long except for 2011 that was well built but lacked depth. Finally we're a lot closer to a playoff team than we have been in years. GCG! Thanks mr. Benning... keep it up!

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

So we are going all the way back to Doug Harvey is that it ,he was 5'11"  just like J.C. Trembly and they were both great players no doubt about it.Hopefully Quinn can be that type of player in the NHL.

It is not like the Canucks have had an abundance of Norris Trophy candidates over their history,we are definitely due.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

So we are going all the way back to Doug Harvey is that it ,he was 5'11"  just like J.C. Trembly and they were both great players no doubt about it.Hopefully Quinn can be that type of player in the NHL.

It is not like the Canucks have had an abundance of Norris Trophy candidates over their history,we are definitely due.

Jovo was the closest IMO.  We’ve had some very good defenseman no doubt, but never a Norris type and Hughes would have to break the mould to ever win one.  If his advanced stats are fantastic and he also can put points up like EK, then he has a chance that the voters will overlook the other parts of the game his body simply won’t be capable of doing.  Don’t think Housley ever won, although sure he was close personally I think that’s his highest peak.   Ghost had a great season two years ago and he’s small too, McAvoy is listed at 6’ feet but no way he is, seen him play a few times and he doesn’t look much taller then Krug.  Ellis and Rafalski are hopefully his floor, although Ellis was also highly touted, absolutely made mince meat of his junior competition and would have gone higher if drafted a year or two ago.

edit:  Orr and Harvey have the  most Norris trophies and both changed the way the position was played.  Two of the best ever to lace them up.  If memory serves me right he’d have had more (Harvey) if the trophy existed  earlier.   Shore would have won 8-10 too if they existed back then, he won the Hart more then once, only guy to do that other then Orr.    Think Pronger is the only other defenseman to win a Hart, although Potvin was close a few times too.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/16/2019 at 11:25 AM, IBatch said:

Me too.  He’s at a reasonable cap hit and is a big part in helping change a soft culture that has existed in this team for quite some time, which has bothered me for a while.  I’ve said it many times in the past we can be a bottom team but don’t need to be pushed around, it’s the only thing about the Keenan era that made it somewhat palatable we always had some warriors and weren’t soft.   Something Benning tried to add at the beginning but never really got there and failed miserably during the actual rebuild phase...lots of tough guys available for cheap that we could have iced instead of an overpaid bottom six. 

I like that the article also brought up JV, I agree that Ferland will help him realize how to play that role (heavy game) and be responsible defensively while also pitching in on he scoreboard.  Benn too to a certain degree defensively.   This is not at all the same team anymore, it might take some time to settle in and for everyone to gel the same way, but I’m confident they will get there.   If the game gets rough there is pushback players on every line now.  I’m almost sure at some point something will happen that will also help galvanize this mentality and add an element of bravery and swagger to the team.

Way back when Probert was traded to CHI I will never forget what Roenick said “he makes the guys feel two inches taller”.  With all these no nonsense and sizeable players arriving I’m pretty sure that it will have a very positive affect on the rest of the team, they will know they have each other’s back and pretty sure there will be a culture shift.  No way will there be another Matheson type play without serious and instant retribution.

edit:  Benn has a history of not putting up with his guys getting hit hard ... had a pretty good bout against Jorge’s and technically isn’t a bad fighter, great at little blocks like Rypien was.  Tough as nails too, can’t believe we got him at this cap hit, one of the steals so far as a free agent.  We haven’t seen his best yet either...wouldn’t surprise me at all if he gets another contract with us and is a big part of the team the next six years or so.  

Yeah I know hey? Benn is not always talked about like Ferland but he can fight and hit hard when necessary

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2019 at 11:56 AM, DADDYROCK said:

Dynasty Anyone.

Woah. Take it easy. We’ve been waiting 50

years for just one, let alone multiple in one era. 

Edited by Pickly