Sign in to follow this  
CanadianRugby

2019-20 Season. Success? Disappointment?

Rate this topic

For you as a fan, what bar do you set for what you'd judge this season a success/disappointment? 

Potentially, a lot of off ice things could make the season a success.  A great trade, Juolevi making the team and looking great, overall great growth from prospects, Tryamkin coming back... But this question is purely about on ice results.  

• Upvote 1

I'd say 90+ points in the regular season is a success, albeit a minor one. Anything less would be a bit of a disappointment.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Playoffs. Don't really matter what position. It has to he playoffs for me not to disappointed. I'm heavily invested in the belief the Canucks are a playoff team. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Playoffs, being a more physical team, scoring some more goals, and progression of the young guys. That's what I'm expecting this year. I don't expect anything other than a 1st rd appearance tho. Anything more is icing on the cake.

• Upvote 1

I think the chance for disappointment is low, I think they'll be competitive for a playoff spot down to the last week of the season and if they can do that I'll be happy. If they make it in and win a game I'll be joyous. If they win a round I might need sedatives. 

If injuries come into play again in a big way that would suck, but I think this team is far better placed for guys to move up a line into spots to deal with that. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

Need to work on making playoffs not this year so much,but next don’t need to give Tampa any help.I think we’re headed in the right direction,but yea if we make playoffs this year and grow on that will be a success imo

If the Canucks do not make the playoffs Benning is definitely going to get fired.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

success

everyone of the core stepping up a bit from last season, ep40's step being a little bit bigger then bo's and brock's

hughes showing he is all that we hoped

the d grouping staying healthy and actually demonstrating they are middle of the pack in the nhl

ferland and miller adding meat to the line up and producing offensively

making the playoffs and winning no less then 2 playoff games... 3 or more would be better

failure

a 9th place conference finish

and deferment of the 1st round pick for miller to the following season

in my view a 9th or worse finish indicates 1 of 3 things

the offense did not improve - internally, or from the additions, or

the d grouping was not revitalized in the off season and turns out to be as bad as the last few years, or

markstrom's paly in the last half of the previous season was a mirage, he completely falters, and he is done in his pursuit of being a #1 goalie

Making playoffs is just the start. I think we know how well most of these players will do but I got my eye on 3 people to be specific. I hope Virtanen can make that leap and be a top 6 player, if not an above average 3rd liner. He has all the physical tools but struggles to stay consistent. Markstrom needs to show last year wasn’t a fluke season. Now that our defense is better we will figure out how good of a goalie he really is. I’m expecting big things from Travis Green. He has made some questionable decisions in the past but now that he has a playoff roster on paper, there is no excuses for him, and I think he can get us to the playoffs and do damage.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Well for me the biggest success would be just missing the playoffs by like a point or two this saving JB's job (I think a change in management right now would be more detrimental to the team than living with JB's faults.) and somehow manage to win a lottery pick. 

Will be nicely set up for a nice 5 or so years of window for the cup then. 

Playoffs.

Anything can happen during the Playoffs, hopefully we get hot at the right time.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Well for me the biggest success would be just missing the playoffs by like a point or two this saving JB's job (I think a change in management right now would be more detrimental to the team than living with JB's faults.) and somehow manage to win a lottery pick. 

Will be nicely set up for a nice 5 or so years of window for the cup then. 

Missing the Playoffs by 1 or 2 points would be a huge disappointment 

Also, JB's job is secured for the next few years.

Edited by J-23
  • Upvote 1

Solid defensively defensemen-wise and with the ability to quickly and dangerously transition the puck up to the forward group to generate wave after wave of chances.  We have depth now in all positions and I expect them to at least give the opposition match-up troubles, and it doesn't even need to be Pete's line or Bo's line doing the damage each night-- groups like the 3rd line (Sven, Gaudette, Virtanen) could be a quick, talented unit as well.

Markstrom needs to be solid to hold down the fort for his boys up front.

• Upvote 2

I have a postive feeling going into next year, finishing seventh or claiming the last playoff spot is there for us if we can have the hockey gods reduce injuries.

Disappointment would be to see Virtanen not having his first 20 goal season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The way I see it...

Our window of opportunity is just starting to open. So with all the upgrades this offseason, I expect this team to at least make the playoffs. If we make it and put up a fight, then I’d say it would be a success.

If we fail to make the playoffs, then that will be a huge disappointment in my eyes and I’m sure management and the team likewise.

Bottom line is we must find a way to stay healthy. Injuries have absolutely killed us these last few years, so if we can stay healthy we have a good shot.  

Edited by BlueDragon23

Posted (edited)

Still having a chance to make the playoffs in late March.

Having the team dictate play against the opposition. 

Improvement by all the players. 

Hard work, and a never say die attitude. 

Having a few injuries as possible would be amazing. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Hydration 2