The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Season. Success? Disappointment?

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

Everyone stays healthy and we don’t rely on the goaltender for 90% of the wins we do get.(like last season]… success. 

Get rid of turds eriksdone and sutter without “paying” with prospects picks or guys like Virtanen. = Extraordinary. 

Expectations are so low it’ll be hard to be disappointed, Regardless of how much of FA money spender Jim throws away to buy a playoff wildcard spot. 

Pay to get rid of turds (past jb mistakes) shaller eriksdone sutter with picks prospects or guys like Virtanen - extremely disappointed ( but expected) 

Edited by combover
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I want the coach to do this:

92F4491F-C754-4DE6-BCD4-30640CB02DA9.gif.a63c0967c41352cec3af894393f70ea3.gif

Then I want the team captain to do this:

DC8493C7-E37C-4236-8A2F-2620CF0EB06A.gif.903fe39a5b3791ffafa90fc953fd9c7c.gif

Followed by this:

40B96FD9-AE24-4393-B9FD-A65C7C758FE6.gif.9dc706bdf53b5dbce7e60a69be0a4a6a.gif

and then I/we will do this:

C71862AA-86A2-458C-8555-DE5D73AD0DAD.gif.5c3e8fa068c9be5a36eb8269b35e3575.gif

Well illustrated, I believe!

Bring down the house!

For me I will be satisfied by the following criteria

EP, Bo and Brock increase their Goals and points from last season, (i will be ecstatic if they can run at a point per game or close to it)

Sutter and Tanev play 65 games

Hughes doesnt get broken

Jake scores 20 goals

Olli makes it onto the team

There is fight in the team much  like the first 2 months of last season, but it last through the entire season, I dont care if they lose games, but as long as they make the opposition work for goals and points.

That will make hockey fun for me. Anything else is a bonus.

Too many old scabs from watching this team to really get disappointed anymore (just kidding)... I suppose another crushing defeat in game seven of the cup final would be disappointing though ha ha.  Just kidding...kind of.

I will be very happy if we miss the playoffs and win a lottery ticket OR don’t miss the playoffs and win a few games...

I’d say we’d  be successful if Hughes is also a Calder candidate, the team really is tougher and harder to play against, the younger players all take steps and the vets play well too,  Markstrom plays like he did December and on last season and Demko gets better as well,  and perhaps more then anything when the usual suspects go down we don’t crumble and cave like the past four years and the new depth carries us.   If half those things happens I’d see playoffs happening, and maybe we even win a round, if all those things happen then the first paragraph. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

For you as a fan, what bar do you set for what you'd judge this season a success/disappointment? 

Potentially, a lot of off ice things could make the season a success.  A great trade, Juolevi making the team and looking great, overall great growth from prospects, Tryamkin coming back... But this question is purely about on ice results.  

if the team is entertaining, i’ll be a happy camper. if the players give 100%, i be entertained.

Whenever a team makes a lot of changes, there is always an adjustment period.  I don't think that anybody can complain at 90 points or better.

Longer term growth, I think depends on how the kids develop.  They're really going to be driving the bus when the team gets good.

8 or more points improvement over last season, which means they will be in the playoff hunt until the final 10 days of the regular season. I think they're about 40/60 to make the playoffs at this point, but I haven't reviewed the west in great detail yet....

Canucks are top 8 this year, around 100 points.

All the core guys have breakout years. Our goaltending is unreal and we have to goals to back it. When our power play/toughness is firing teams will think twice about taking liberties and stupid penalties. Hughes and pettersson are penalty drawing monsters.

Playoffs or bust. That being said, I hope Benning doesn't get fired if we miss.

I can't trust that the next GM won't make a very reactionary move.

Edited by Qwags

I will be happy with a good step forward with a shot at a wild card spot.  Getting our "goals for" and "goals against" on the positive side would be nice as well.  And on a personal note I say Jake scores 22g and 15a.  Go Canucks :towel::canucks:

After all these 'now or never' moves Benning has made if the Canucks don't make the playoffs it will be a disappointment.

Unfortunately I still don't know if its enough. I think he thinks the team was closer than it actually is. Without Markstrom standing on his head for half the year,  Pettersson having a record setting year and the Pacific being so very bad the Canucks would not have finished anywhere near as high as they did, and that was still bottom 10. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like its jumping the gun and won't be enough.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Without Markstrom standing on his head for half the year,  Pettersson having a record setting year and the Pacific being so very bad

These are all valid points. But why are the circumstances that made things more challenging not worthy of mention ?

As others have said - playoffs.  I have no doubt this year will be more exciting to watch, but it is all about the playoffs.  And it isn't because I just want to see playoff hockey (which we all do) but moreso because we have signed guys long term that are supposed to get us there.  Now.

If this team can't make the playoffs now, then we are in trouble as all we can really rely on for at least a couple of years is the team we have, plus maybe some progression from the younger guys.

Edited by kloubek
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

After all these 'now or never' moves Benning has made if the Canucks don't make the playoffs it will be a disappointment.

Unfortunately I still don't know if its enough. I think he thinks the team was closer than it actually is. Without Markstrom standing on his head for half the year,  Pettersson having a record setting year and the Pacific being so very bad the Canucks would not have finished anywhere near as high as they did, and that was still bottom 10. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like its jumping the gun and won't be enough.

You could go the other way and say without 2 separate months of having a decimated lineup from injuries, we'd have been in the playoffs or knocking on the door.