The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is our most important player

Rate this topic

Jetliner

summer poll questions FTW  

245 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Team game last time i checked.  

Canucks will win or lose based on how the team performs.  No one player will carry the club.

It will take a team full of guys playing different roles... and playing them well. 

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pettersson.

Not just because he’s our best player and plays a prime position. But because of his influence on the others. All last season, we’d read about Canucks watching Elias and feeing inspired to become better versions of themselves.

I mean, just read these words from Horvat:

“For sure I was inspired by him. I can say it first hand. He inspires me to be a better 200-foot player.

“And he’s only played five games,” said Horvat.

He can’t help but laugh at how that sounds out loud. But he’s so on point here.

“I noticed he was special in preseason,” he continued. “It was right away. You could see it. It’s why everyone in this room has so much respect for him.

“Why I have so much respect for him is because he plays so hard away from the puck.

“It’s insane. The skill, you see it. That’s sick. But for him to be so good defensively and positionally and for him to be so relentless on the puck, it’s unbelievable to watch.

“As an older guy like me, who has been in the league for five years, I watch him and I want to be like him. I want to be like that.

“He pushes me to be a better player.

“It’s awesome to have someone on your team who pushes you.”

That’s what makes Petey our most important player. 

He pushes even a heart and soul guy like Horvat, a guy with unquestionable work ethic, to elevate his game.

Well said, my friend.  I had the exact same thoughts as I put my comment out there (but on limited time/at work).

It's not JUST what he does, but it's how he's ignited the team.  They're all shooting for the stars now and feel they can be something special with him in the line up.

Not only his level of play, but his approach to the whole deal.  Even at his best, he isn't "satisfied" and aims to be better.  Every single guy has the bar set there now - at a work harder level.  He's inspiring everyone to "be better".

His competitiveness knows no limits and when you see someone who could easily rest on what they are doing still put in the extra effort to improve on that, it's infectious.

Bo is a different kind of important to this team.  He's the one with zero ego who is willing to take on whatever role...quietly, without question or complaining.  This is what I love about our team...they're just that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

This is like asking "who was the most important player during Edmonton 's dynasty -  Gretzky, Messier or Coffey?  All 3 were crucial to their success, as will be Bo, Petey and QH.

The complimentary players weren't bad either -  often read how much Kurri and Anderson praised the trio (see what I did there??)  :)

• Upvote 2

OJ.  I expect the others to keep improving, some more than others, and it goes without saying that the players mentioned are important, but OJ has the potential to make the Canucks a true contender if he has a season to pan out as a solid 3-6 option in his first year, and lets the other pieces fall into place around him on the blue line, with Edler and Tanev moving down the pairings and staying healthier and contributing more as a result.  Imagine this around February if Hughes reaches his comfort level and OJ comes in all guns blazing: 

Hughes - Myers

OJ - Benn

Edler - Tanev

That 3rd pairing in limited minutes could mean some additional offence from the 3rd and 4th lines, as well as less wear and tear on both Edler and Tanev, which would help when we make the playoffs.    

Edited by Hockey God

24 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

OJ.  I expect the others to keep improving, some more than others, and it goes without saying that the players mentioned are important, but OJ has the potential to make the Canucks a true contender if he has a season to pan out as a solid 3-6 option in his first year, and lets the other pieces fall into place around him on the blue line, with Edler and Tanev moving down the pairings and staying healthier and contributing more as a result.  Imagine this around February if Hughes reaches his comfort level and OJ comes in all guns blazing: 

Hughes - Myers

OJ - Benn

Edler - Tanev

That 3rd pairing in limited minutes could mean some additional offence from the 3rd and 4th lines, as well as less wear and tear on both Edler and Tanev, which would help when we make the playoffs.    

I'm afraid it means little if Petey ain't in the line up.  These others are kindling on his fire in my view and to look beyond him is questionable.

I appreciate the thinking outside the box....but he's our "go to", build around, keep him happy/keep him here player.

With him in the line up, we have a real shot at being HUGE and we stand out in a way that has other teams worried.  Strong supporting cast is all that's needed (again, not to undermine the others, but the facts are the facts.  They, too, are brilliant on their own but Petey is a franchise player).

If you have a supporting cast without Petey, you've got another team that's competing along with all the other ones and our shot is comparable.  He's a real difference maker.

Pettersson.

We were headed into some dark times after the Sedins' retired, but Pettersson is the light that lead the way into this new era of Canucks hockey.

Bo helps keep the guys grounded, but Petey has such a big impact on the league (see our recent FA signings). It was like the entire culture shifted when Petey scored 10 in 10 and suddenly there has been so much hope for our team from the fans to the players to the owners, management, and coaches.

I can't wait for puck drop!

Edited by Green Goblin
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Team game last time i checked.  

Canucks will win or lose based on how the team performs.  No one player will carry the club.

It will take a team full of guys playing different roles... and playing them well. 

Cool brah but that doesn't preclude one of those guys from being the most important. :)

I put down Pettersson as he is far and away the reason the Canucks are not dead last, however the argument for Bo is strong. Bo takes the hrs assignments so Petey can thrive. He took more face offs than anyone in the league and won most of them. It’s a symbiotic relationship in my opinion kind of like the Sedins were with Kesler in 2011. It takes a whole team to get it done but the MVP is Petey if you ask me. 

The most important players are the ones that you can't find through trade or FA, you have to be lucky enough to draft them.  With that being the criteria it would be the following in order:

1. Pettersson

2. Hughes

3. Horvat

4. Boeser

But the great thing is we don't have to decide.  They are the core and we are keeping them all.

• Upvote 1

No disrespect to Brock or Bo or Quinn but Petey looks to be an elite talent who will one day very soon be among the NHL scoring leaders. Players like this don'y come around often so that makes him the most important player.