The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is our most important player

Rate this topic

Jetliner

summer poll questions FTW  

245 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

The most important players are the ones that you can't find through trade or FA, you have to be lucky enough to draft them.  With that being the criteria it would be the following in order:

1. Pettersson

2. Hughes

3. Horvat

4. Boeser

But the great thing is we don't have to decide.  They are the core and we are keeping them all.

I think by Christmas we are going to be adding Demko to your list.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think by Christmas we are going to be adding Demko to your list.  

Agreed.  I truly think Demko will hit his stride and we will either trade Markstrom or sign him and leave him exposed in the expansion draft.  If Demko becomes a legit #1 (Which I think he will) and Markstrom is so enticing to Seattle, it may help protect our other D and F and we just need to sign a backup.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

I think they are all important  and for different reasons - team mates - team sport

But that being said my vote went to Bo - I do believe we would all notice if he was gone

We certainly would notice his presence if we was gone but what if Pettersson was gone.  That would be a much bigger presence.  Bo is key to us but you can potentially acquire a Bo (O'Reilly, Lee etc) but you can't acquire a Pettersson (Kuznetsov, Point, Aho etc).

Those aren't the greatest comparables for Pettersson but that may be because there is nobody like him.

21 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Your most important player always goes in the middle of your advertising:  

image.png.ae9351854f616c49f37b76bf31bc735d.png

I disagree. It's marketing not reality. Pettey sells tickets and may become the most important player but isn't there yet. He needs to stay healthy and he needs his teammates to help protect him when the league continues to fail him and the club.

1 minute ago, NHTyrany said:

I disagree. It's marketing not reality. Pettey sells tickets and may become the most important player but isn't there yet. He needs to stay healthy and he needs his teammates to help protect him when the league continues to fail him and the club.

Posting the advertising was intended as a joke, however I do still agree that he is our most important player.  His drive, skillset, being a #1 center, ability to attract players etc etc etc still makes him our most important player IMO.  If there is any player that you don't want out of your lineup, it's him.

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Petey changes EVERYTHING. 

Not to undermine the others (especially Bo), but even he would recognize that.  The buzz he's generated and the fact that players now want to come here.  It's just obvious.  

I look at this question like "remove one player from the line up to see the most dramatic result".

^^^This.  Boeser and Horvat are great but Petey is attracting free agents who will sign for a reasonable number

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Posting the advertising was intended as a joke, however I do still agree that he is our most important player.  His drive, skillset, being a #1 center, ability to attract players etc etc etc still makes him our most important player IMO.  If there is any player that you don't want out of your lineup, it's him.

Agree and hope he can stay in the line up without too much injury. He will be a huge target next year. I like the new team size and hope they can set a few rules for other teams' agitators and goons.

8 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Agree and hope he can stay in the line up without too much injury. He will be a huge target next year. I like the new team size and hope they can set a few rules for other teams' agitators and goons.

It was definitely becoming a problem but Benning addressed the toughness which is good.  Should help insulate him while he gets stronger himself.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Bo Horvat. Petey is our best player but without Horvat Pettersson wouldn’t be able to do what he does. With that said this team can’t go far without either. Justice League needs both Superman and Batman to function.

D04110E5-7826-4786-A1E3-B94CBDCC2616.gif

• Haha 2

I'd say Bo, he's the one who can help your team win in any way (can play defensively and score, can play physically, can attack off the rush, can make things work even with below-average wingers).  Bo can also step up to play top-line minutes in a pinch but I would hesitate to Pete playing on the PK or in physical games. 

Remember the most recent Olympics?  Team Canada handily stymied the Swedes 3-0.  Blues-Bruins this past Cup Final?  Blues' physicality shut down the Bruins' top-6 talents (Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Krejci, DeBrusk) and O'Reilly took home the Conn Smythe.  All round centers' values go up when the post-season comes around, and while I'm not saying Pete doesn't have some degree of grit (and on top of that he's definitely a game-breaking talent), he's not the bull that Bo is.      

9 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Markstrom hands down. If people think otherwise they don't understand hockey.

If I am in net the Canucks go 0-82.

If I play center instead of Petey the Canucks go 1-81 at least.

I know this post is tongue in cheek, but you definitely have a case, as far as last year goes.

Markstrom led the Canucks in GAR (28.8) and WAR (5.1).

Next closest was Petey with 15.7 GAR and 2.8 WAR.

No other Canucks above 10 GAR and 2 WAR.

(GAR=goals above replacement; WAR=wins above replacement; stats per Evolving Hockey)

This is a big reason why we have to hope Markstrom’s 2018-19 season wasn’t just a fluke and a one off.

His WAR stats were actually the 8th best in the entire NHL, among goalies.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I know this post is tongue in cheek, but you definitely have a case, as far as last year goes.

Markstrom led the Canucks in GAR (28.8) and WAR (5.1).

Next closest was Petey with 15.7 GAR and 2.8 WAR.

No other Canucks above 10 GAR and 2 WAR.

(GAR=goals above replacement; WAR=wins above replacement; stats per Evolving Hockey)

This is a big reason why we have to hope Markstrom’s 2018-19 season wasn’t just a fluke and a one off.

His WAR stats were actually the 8th best in the entire NHL, among goalies.

Well my point was goaltending is the most important position regardless of the player.  If a goalie stops every shot, it's a guranteed win. I am glad your stats back it up.

Guaranteed you lose without a goalie. You can still win without your No.1 forward.