The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is our most important player

Rate this topic

Jetliner

summer poll questions FTW  

245 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In normal situation I go for the goalie. Markström last season was amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a goali left so unprotected by defence as he was in the games I watched. If Demko is the same or better... Hold on to both as long as we can is my advice.

Bennington was the reason the Blues won. He is the goali that let the team relax.

But, Petey is from another planet. When he steps on it, everything around him goes in slo mo. He is the key to make the team a winner while the goalie let the team be a winner.

Edited by Timråfan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

In normal situation I go for the goalie. Markström last season was amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a goali left so unprotected by defence as he was in the games I watched. If Demko is the same or better... Hold on to both as long as we can is my advice.

Bennington was the reason the Blues won. He is the goali that let the team relax.

But, Petey is from another planet. When he steps on it, everything around him goes in slo mo. He is the key to make the team a winner while the goalie let the team be a winner.

Binnington should have won the Smythe, he was literally robbed of it.  O’Reilly played great in the last series but really wasn’t much of a factor in the other three, wasn’t even the top scorer or near the top scorer on his team in any of those series, around a big plus  in each one of them too...where as Binnington was a factor in each one, and the cup final.   Binnington also had 11 first or second star selections...O’Reilly had 3 in the final only, as did Binnington.

Problem with the way its voted on the guys that do it don’t see all the previous games but see every cup final ones and O’Reilly was a good pick for MVP of that Series only.  THN asked the local beat guys in St. Louis who they would have picked and all of them resoundingly said Binnington.   He had two bad games the entire playoffs, take those out and he had a .928 sp,  and was Uber clutch after a loss and when clinching.   

It was such a bad choice, and not the only one over the years, that THN is pushing for a new trophy just for the MVP of the final like other sports do (in addition), and that only local sports writers that follow every game get to vote for the Smythe.   Makes sense to me.   After all who has time to watch every single game of every series?  Nobody does.   Thing is it’s thing like the Calder (runner-up) and Smythe, other hardware and first and second all-star selections that can matter later when all things are said and done and a player is eligible for the HHOF....Binnington could be a flash in the pan and peaked, or could go and have a very very good 15 year career.  Those things would look good on anyone’s resume.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Bo Horvat. Petey is our best player but without Horvat Pettersson wouldn’t be able to do what he does. With that said this team can’t go far without either. Justice League needs both Superman and Batman to function.

Same with the Avengers....needs a Thor and an Iron Man....oops too early?

Petey is more dynamic and the more high end talent.  I think the correct answer is Horvat however.  The guy is all over the place and just brings it every shift.  

There is more than a good chance that EP replaces Bo as the most important player but that time hasn't come just yet.

As far as most important player this up coming season.

we know what Petey ,Bo , and Brock bring to the team. 

But it’s more important this next season adding more. What impact will the new guys bring?  Miller, Ferland and the others. 

The Hughes factor? 

All in all I’m excited.

On 7/17/2019 at 3:20 PM, Kobayashi Maru said:

The most important players are the ones that you can't find through trade or FA, you have to be lucky enough to draft them.  With that being the criteria it would be the following in order:

1. Pettersson

2. Hughes

3. Horvat

4. Boeser

But the great thing is we don't have to decide.  They are the core and we are keeping them all.

Demko as well

Markstrom, Pettersson.

If Markstrom reverts back, there is no way we make the playoffs. We are going for bottom 5 finish unless he keeps up his latest level of play.

Assuming Marky keeps up his play, then it's up to Pettersson to generate offence on a consistent basis to determine our playoff fate.

I think Petey is our best player, but i voted for Bo and I will try to explain why.

Petey went down with a couple of key injuries last season.not that it his fault but Bo played all 82 games, the only Canuck to do that last season.

Petey puts up a lot of points and should get even better this season, Bo had 5 less points despite having to take every defensive draw last season.

Petey is a future Rocket Richard trophy winner maybe even a Hart. Bo is a future Conn Smythe winner.

Bo takes every defensive face off, was one off the lead in goals scored and was 5 points behind Petterson for team lead in scoring.

Actually the most important players this season are Sutter and Beagle. We need them to stay healthy so Bo can play more offense. I love what Petterson brings to the team but Bo is the most important player on the team.

• Cheers 1

On 7/17/2019 at 12:56 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pettersson.

Not just because he’s our best player and plays a prime position. But because of his influence on the others. All last season, we’d read about Canucks watching Elias and feeing inspired to become better versions of themselves.

I mean, just read these words from Horvat:

“For sure I was inspired by him. I can say it first hand. He inspires me to be a better 200-foot player.

“And he’s only played five games,” said Horvat.

He can’t help but laugh at how that sounds out loud. But he’s so on point here.

“I noticed he was special in preseason,” he continued. “It was right away. You could see it. It’s why everyone in this room has so much respect for him.

“Why I have so much respect for him is because he plays so hard away from the puck.

“It’s insane. The skill, you see it. That’s sick. But for him to be so good defensively and positionally and for him to be so relentless on the puck, it’s unbelievable to watch.

“As an older guy like me, who has been in the league for five years, I watch him and I want to be like him. I want to be like that.

“He pushes me to be a better player.

“It’s awesome to have someone on your team who pushes you.”

That’s what makes Petey our most important player. 

He pushes even a heart and soul guy like Horvat, a guy with unquestionable work ethic, to elevate his game.

Elias pushes me towards buying a ticket for the Canucks game......with popcorn and a beer.

• Cheers 1