The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

On 12/2/2019 at 11:26 AM, Mrwipeout said:

Ferland is an important depthplayer that adds something lacking: power. power enough to win puckbattles, win battles in front of the net, create space for teammates. Without Ferland we have no one that can fill that role and maintain a top 2 line skill level. So yea....definetly want him back. 

Look how scary our team was in the beggining when he was in the lineup he puts fear into the opposing team cant wait for ferly to be back apparently he was in full practice mode could see him saturday

• Cheers 1

"This is the second fight in a year that’s sidelined him with a concussion. While he admitted that may mean less fighting for him in the future, Ferland insisted he’s not going to change as a player.“Until the doc tells me there’s a way I can’t play anymore, then I’ll stop playing the way I need to play. But until then I’m just gonna keep playing the way, you know, I know I can play,” he said.

"

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-could-have-more-bark-for-buffalo-as-beagle-ferland-might-play/wcm/d7b674da-923d-47b4-92b3-938f894e406f

I hate to say it, but I think it's time for him to hang them up. It's become clear that he is just doing further damage to his health and future life ahead of him. For his own sake, I hope the doctor agrees.

• Upvote 1

Now I know why we got him on a fairly cheap cap hit for a UFA. Teams were wary knowing about his injury history. I don't think ownership will be too pleased in the investment but it is comforting knowing that LTIR is a viable solution. Not a cure-all though as it comes with its own complications...

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

Now I know why we got him on a fairly cheap cap hit for a UFA. Teams were wary knowing about his injury history. I don't think ownership will be too pleased in the investment but it is comforting knowing that LTIR is a viable solution. Not a cure-all though as it comes with its own complications...

I love what Benning has done on the development side, but its getting hard to ignore all that dead free agent salary.... Sutter, Loui, Baer, Gagner/Spooner, and now maybe Ferkie. Yikes. I know you can't pin injuries on the GM but this is quite a list. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Toews said:

Teams have insurance for this sort of thing. Won't likely cost FA much of anything to have MF on LTIR. Won't cost the team cap space either.

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I love what Benning has done on the development side, but its getting hard to ignore all that dead free agent salary.... Sutter, Loui, Baer, Gagner/Spooner, and now maybe Ferkie. Yikes. I know you can't pin injuries on the GM but this is quite a list. 

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Teams have insurance for this sort of thing. Won't likely cost FA much of anything to have MF on LTIR. Won't cost the team cap space either.

It still doesn't look good on Benning - scouting at the pro level is seriously lacking.  Yes JT Miller has been great(acquired in a trade) but aside from him there is a lot of wasted salary, even Myers in two years scares me.  If this team doesn't make the playoffs I don't see how anyone can argue he should keep his job.  Ideally I hope he does keep his job, he just needs to improve his pro level scouting and to turn off his phone on July 1st(seriously).  This franchise also needs some stability, it'd be nice to have the same management group for 10+ years. 

Just now, Tre Mac said:

It still doesn't look good on Benning - scouting at the pro level is seriously lacking.  Yes JT Miller has been great(acquired in a trade) but aside from him there is a lot of wasted salary, even Myers in two years scares me.  If this team doesn't make the playoffs I don't see how anyone can argue he should keep his job.  Ideally I hope he does keep his job, he just needs to improve his pro level scouting and to turn off his phone on July 1st(seriously).  This franchise also needs some stability, it'd be nice to have the same management group for 10+ years. 

Meh. I'm sure Benning knew the risks and translated that to Francesco. You can't 'win' if you don't gamble. And given insurance and LTIR, Ferland is a pretty low risk gamble.

Myers is a solid #3'ish D. Not particularly worried about him either. And we may very well expose him in the ED anyway if we want to clear his salary/target another UFA/trade etc.

Beyond that, the only real cap/pro scouting issue of any significance is still, Eriksson. Look around the league and you'll see a lot of teams in as bad or worse situations.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

If it is a concussion, and it is agreed that Ferland should not play anymore; the league and NHLPA could/should allow the man to be completely off the cap.

I know he could stay on long term, however a completely off the books Ferland would be better for the team, methinks.

7 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Pro scouting successes: 
JT Miller
Josh Leivo
Tanner Pearson
Jordie Benn
Antoine Roussel
Tyler Motte
Hell, I'd even throw Tyler Myers in here. Say what you want about term. We don't know til we get there. We only have him until he's 33. 

Pro scouting failures:
Loui Eriksson
Erik Gudranson

Those are the only 2 I would put on that list. You could make an argument that Baertschi could be included on here, but until he ran into injuries (something you can't predict with scouting) he was on pace for 20 goals over 82 games for 4 straight years. 

You could argue to include Derrick Pouliot on this list, but that was a high reward risk that was taken on a former top 10 pick. That's a risk worth taking when you're rebuilding.

Middling players are Tim Schaller (last year mediocre, but much better this year), Jacob Markstrom (has arrived as a legit #1 but took a while), Brandon Sutter (has been good and bad at times), and Jay Beagle . 

There are obviously a lot more players than I've mentioned that have been brought to the org in benning's time here. I've really just made this post based on whats been done the past 2-3 years, which I think is most relevant. Before 2 years ago, we were a team in the thick of a rebuild and we took more risks on young players (linden vey, markus granlund, etc.) who were considered reclaimation projects. Some of them worked out (Josh Leivo, Tanner Pearson, even Sven would've likely worked out if not for injury, considering his ppg the past 4 years), but a lot didn't. That's to be expected with a reclaimation strategy. If you look at recent history, while we've been on the upswing, pro-scouting has been good.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Maybe he gets put on LTIR for the rest of the season as an extended time for recovery (like Crosby did) could save his life and career.

This is my sentiment exactly.  Look to comeback next October and go from there - he needs to get over this completely if possible at this point.  It appears the Canucks need to play at least 0.600 hockey at a minimum  (31 wins in 51 games) to make the playoffs this year. 

This years draft is supposed to be very deep at the top end.  So maybe missing the playoffs this year is not the end of the world. There are a few players that may be "surprise" options for roster spots next year as well  - Madden, Hoglander, Lind, Podkolzin (long shot I know he has a contract), Tryamkin, Rathbone, Rafferty, Juolevi......  Plus they may be able to offload a contract or two before the trade deadline this year.  

It may be a good reset year in preparation for next year. The prospect pool deepens and matures, options materialize, the Canucks pick in the first round of a deep draft and "maybe" (oh please Santa I have been relatively good for the most part I think) a little housecleaning.  I know..........   

Edited by Borvat