The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Not going to speculate whether Ferland should retire or not, as he's an adult and only he can really decide what's best for him once he's fully recovered from his symptoms.  I understand the sentiment for him to avoid long-term damage but it's difficult to ask a competitive young man to walk away from the sport he loves.  All we can do is support the guy in his recovery and accept any decision he makes.

Best of luck to him.

Fully agree with this. I have to scoff at people coming in here saying he's done, he should retire, etc., etc. These people have no clue and should afford the guy an opportunity to decide for himself what is best and desirable based on his unique situation. Although I do sympathize that they are doing it with caring in mind.

Still, deserves a good scoff I say. Yes, a good scoffing is in order and that's all I will say about that.

Most importantly I hope for the best for Ferland. :canucks:

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have never forgot Wayne Maki. I saw the stick swinging and it was pretty sickening. 

I was speaking about Maki’s passing from brain cancer in ‘74.  

But yes, that stick fight and bashing Green on the heard was criminal.  (Didn’t happen while he was with us though.) 

• Upvote 1

Carolina was negligent in recognizing an injury, properly diagnosis, treatment and ultimately signing off on a clean bill of health. Doesn’t really seem like an insurance company will be ok with paying out +/- 10 to 12 million (give or take) for an injury that can’t be even pinpointed to an exact day. Ferland obviously just wants to play , but I have a feeling it will go to the lawyers and could turn ugly. 

Imagine if Ferland is out long term with injury, and the Canucks decide to use the cap space to bring in a player of similar cost, and then Ferland decides to give it a go in the first round of the playoffs, and can play symptom free. The playoffs are a cap free zone. It could be a win-win if he finds his health. 

I'd definitely like to see him just focus on getting symptom free the next couple of months and check in with him closer to the post season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Imagine if Ferland is out long term with injury, and the Canucks decide to use the cap space to bring in a player of similar cost, and then Ferland decides to give it a go in the first round of the playoffs, and can play symptom free. The playoffs are a cap free zone. It could be a win-win if he finds his health. 

I'd definitely like to see him just focus on getting symptom free the next couple of months and check in with him closer to the post season.

Love to see that happen, but me thinks Furley is done.  He needs to play a very aggressive and heavy game to be effective.  That’s just not possible with his bad coconut.  

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

I was speaking about Maki’s passing from brain cancer in ‘74.  

But yes, that stick fight and bashing Green on the heard was criminal.  (Didn’t happen while he was with us though.) 

Us who grew up playing minor hockey in the 70's definitely had fear from that incident. Always aware of where the stick was during play etc. Makes me wonder if over the years if that kinda fear was forgotten with full face shields etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Us who grew up playing minor hockey in the 70's definitely had fear from that incident. Always aware of where the stick was during play etc. Makes me wonder if over the years if that kinda fear was forgotten with full face shields etc.

That’s a really good point about how equipment makes guys almost fearless and lose respect for their opponents at the same time.  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Love to see that happen, but me thinks Furley is done.  He needs to play a very aggressive and heavy game to be effective.  That’s just not possible with his bad coconut.  

I tend to agree with this assesment. Ferland, while I love for him to come back and play for the Canucks, I don't know if he'll be effective if he doesn't play his game. I think he's done for at least this season. Not sure about his career. Crosby has had a few concussions as well, and he's come back from them. Ferland and him play different styles of game, that's for sure, but hockey is hockey right? And it's aggressive, and there are physical hits. I'd like to see if Ferland can rebound this season, but if not, that's ok. He needs to take care of his own health, his brain/mind and his family. That's far more important i the grander scheme of things, than, well, hockey. 

• Like 1

As others have mentioned, he needs a Crosby type recovery. That is only if he wants to continue playing hockey.

Imo he should retire. Had concussions before, they get worse after each one. His symptoms started showing up only a few minutes into his return which is really concerning.

Made lots of money and could find a job in the hockey industry with his reputation. Could probably start coaching like Manny. That way he can still be a part of the game.

Really wanted to see him play in the Playoffs, especially the way he tore us apart that one series. Would of been a fan favourite for sure.

Needs to be shut-down for multiple reasons:

1) If you're going to heal a concussion it takes a lot of time. They need to do what they did with Crosby, no hockey for a year and see how he's like after that if he wants to salvage his career

2) Expansion draft is next Summer and Ferland's got a NMC so will have to be protected if he plays the prior 60 games (which I doubt at the moment) so best to keep him on LTIR for the Canucks as well

3) LTIR gives us cap relief for the off-season

This isn't just about his health, his future with his family and his financial status, but it's about the team too and there's a win-win solution there. Get him away from hockey for 12 months and re-assess then. They've tried rushing him back, didn't work. They tried "taking their time" and he gets recurrences immediately in Utica. Time to be shut down LONG term. His career isn't necessarily over, but I think they shouldn't even re-assess him until after a year from now.

If he wanted to just retire I wouldn't blame him either but either way he should stay well away from a hockey rink for a year. The Canucks aren't necessarily screwed over either because we lose his NMC, cap hit and protection needs at the expansion draft.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I feel he should 100% be shut down for the season at this point. Crosby recovered amazingly from his concussions, so that gives me faith that almost anyone can, but he needs time.

Didnt Crosby's injury turn out to be a  neck thing the entire time?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I tend to agree with this assesment. Ferland, while I love for him to come back and play for the Canucks, I don't know if he'll be effective if he doesn't play his game. I think he's done for at least this season. Not sure about his career. Crosby has had a few concussions as well, and he's come back from them. Ferland and him play different styles of game, that's for sure, but hockey is hockey right? And it's aggressive, and there are physical hits. I'd like to see if Ferland can rebound this season, but if not, that's ok. He needs to take care of his own health, his brain/mind and his family. That's far more important i the grander scheme of things, than, well, hockey. 

I don't see Crosby as a legit comparison. That said I am no doctor. Crosby plays a strong game but he was not an enforcer like Ferland who had many fights. He took a lot of hits to the head in those fights. The odd thing about my attraction to hockey is the physical play and even the fighting and yet I have no interest in Boxing. Go figure. What fans don't see in the fallout from fisticuffs. Many of these players suffer from long term disabilities both physical and mental. I suspect fighting will be gone for good within the decade. 

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I feel he should 100% be shut down for the season at this point. Crosby recovered amazingly from his concussions, so that gives me faith that almost anyone can, but he needs time.

Yes.

... at this point,  let Ferland focus on the next 8 months before Oct. 2020.  

to have MF for an entire season and a healthy prosperous career is what’s needed here for all parties.

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I beleive this is true.   I understand it was a Chiropracter in Vancouver who got to the finishing touches of his recovery.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

The first two were definitely a concussion. The 3rd one was a neck problem. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.macleans.ca/society/rebuilding-crosbys-brain/amp/

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/crosby-has-soft-tissue-injury-in-neck-no-fracture-1.1157283

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don't see Crosby as a legit comparison. That said I am no doctor. Crosby plays a strong game but he was not an enforcer like Ferland who had many fights. He took a lot of hits to the head in those fights. The odd thing about my attraction to hockey is the physical play and even the fighting and yet I have no interest in Boxing. Go figure. What fans don't see in the fallout from fisticuffs. Many of these players suffer from long term disabilities both physical and mental. I suspect fighting will be gone for good within the decade. 

I guess you haven't seen Crosby fight  then  , sid is a hard nosed hockey player  

I said months ago that this was probably a career-ender & got criticized heavily for it here. But if Ferland can’t even skate without getting the vertigo that comes with it, that’s a horrible sign, I liked his gritty style and the idea of him being a Canuck, but the truth is, I’d rather him be able to have a life as a person. 

Try him out at the beginning of 21/22 season, but if he has any symptoms, it’s not worth trying.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1