The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

So let’s assume that Leivo and Ferland are cleared to play.  Hard to know what to do even.  I would think:

Miller Pettersson Toffoli

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen

Sutter Beagle Motte

Roussel MacEwan Leivo 

Even that fifth line is good.  Personally I think I may put MacEwen or Roussel in for Sutter.  So many options when fully healthy.  We could make quite the run.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, nzan said:

Five lines and Eriksson still can't crack it

he will be our secret weapon for the finals... he will be so well rested and eager to play he will score 15 goals in our sweep for the cup, Playoff MVP and named team captain next year.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, surtur said:

he will be our secret weapon for the finals... he will be so well rested and eager to play he will score 15 goals in our sweep for the cup, Playoff MVP and named team captain next year.

You mean the Calder Cup right?

• 4 weeks later...

According to Rick Dhaliwal’s Twitter account:

Michael Ferland's agent Jason Davidson : He has been working out, he is headed to Vancouver today and will land there today.

Davidson on Ferland : Is he going to drop the gloves for no reason, no he is not but I still expect him to play a heavy game."

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I don't see much of a future in the NHL for a neutered Ferland tbh.  

Agreed.  What made Ferland special was his ability to play a heavy physical game while still being able to put the puck in the net.  Take away the physicality, I think we have better and cheaper options.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think his agent is saying that he’ll continue to play a heavy game. 

But his last concussion was from minimal contact then he couldn't last a period in the AHL in his come back stint, we'll see I guess but you have to think that another concussion and his career is over - is it really worth the risk?

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

But his last concussion was from minimal contact then he couldn't last a period in the AHL in his come back stint, we'll see I guess but you have to think that another concussion and his career is over - is it really worth the risk?

I’ll trust the words of his agent. His last issue was from a fistfight with Kyle Clifford, I believe. 

I would expect his agent would have good reason to assure us that his client is healthy and will continue to play, so there's likely some inherent bias in his comments.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’ll trust the words of his agent. His last issue was from a fistfight with Kyle Clifford, I believe. 

Actually, that was his third last concussion...and it was a fight in which he didn't even take any shots to the head.  His sustained his second last concussion from throwing a few good hits in a game after that (without receiving any himself), and his last concussion after skating for a few shifts in a game in Utica.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

I hated Ferland when he pounded us in the playoffs, now as a canuck, I hope they aren't risking this young man's future well being.  Saying that, if he is healthy and ready to go, Minny is gonna get curb stomped.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On June 5, 2020 at 11:18 AM, nzan said:

Five lines and Eriksson still can't crack it

On July 3, 2020 at 9:41 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes the fight with Clifford was even and put the jar and head moving fast would affect is concussion problem..I sure hope Ferland is healthy with no more issues.. Lets keep fingers crossed as Ferland would add lots of fear to other teams defence and add the respect from other team if he is healthy..

GO Ferland Go

• Cheers 1

On 7/3/2020 at 10:39 AM, Tre Mac said:

According to him the resounding answer is, "Yes"

On 7/3/2020 at 9:12 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

According to Rick Dhaliwal’s Twitter account:

Michael Ferland's agent Jason Davidson : He has been working out, he is headed to Vancouver today and will land there today.

Davidson on Ferland : Is he going to drop the gloves for no reason, no he is not but I still expect him to play a heavy game."

I was really excited for Ferland's physicality coming into this season. But if it becomes detrimental to his health for the rest of his life. I'd rather he shy away from the physicality. I want this team to win, but not if it costs a player his health for the rest of his life. Concussions are scary and they linger forever if you get bumped enough. But if he can come back and bring some of that physicality and not suffer any more head trauma then we're gonna be a really scary team come playoffs. 

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I was really excited for Ferland's physicality coming into this season. But if it becomes detrimental to his health for the rest of his life. I'd rather he shy away from the physicality. I want this team to win, but not if it costs a player his health for the rest of his life. Concussions are scary and they linger forever if you get bumped enough. But if he can come back and bring some of that physicality and not suffer any more head trauma then we're gonna be a really scary team come playoffs. 

I was excited too, but now I know I'm just going to be nervous anytime he throws (or absorbs) a big hit -- always waiting for the next concussion.  It's going to take awhile to get comfortable with him playing physical again, both for him and for us.  Here's to hoping he can actually do it.