The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

Ferlund has been totally useless.  Not saying it's his fault, but its totally obvious he was a swing and a miss. 

He has played very few games for us. It is not unusual to see a player struggle with new teammates and systems. It is so hard to play when you have any kind of post concussion symptoms. I think it is too early to claim a miss. Yes, he has had lots of struggles but I am not writing him off quite yet.

Not happy with this though. I felt he had the possibility of being a real difference maker for us. Apparently they expect him back soon but this is valuable time to get into game shape and to try to generate chemistry.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, kloubek said:

He has played very few games for us. I think it is too early to claim a total miss. Yes, he has had lots of struggles but I am not writing him off quite yet.

Not happy with this though. I felt he had the possibility of being a real difference maker for us.

Exactly. Useless seems like a bit of an overreaction, much like the posters in previous pages stating that Ferland is “done”. 

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

He has played very few games for us. It is not unusual to see a player struggle with new teammates and systems. It is so hard to play when you have any kind of post concussion symptoms. I think it is too early to claim a miss. Yes, he has had lots of struggles but I am not writing him off quite yet.

Not happy with this though. I felt he had the possibility of being a real difference maker for us. Apparently they expect him back soon but this is valuable time to get into game shape and to try to generate chemistry.

I was a huge fan of his signing originally.  I still think it was a great risk to take. I don't think it is going to work out at all though.  That's the truth. I think we are all wasting time to inevitability hear about this kids retirement.  In the end , I don't think he will have contributed anything worthwhile to the canucks when all is said and done. That's what I see as realistic. I think it was a great 50/50 try. No chance this kid can ever play the way he needs to without another concussion.  Totally reliant on being super physical to be what we signed him to be, and all it takes is one bump and a headache to take him out again. Great player if he could play the way he used to, but he can't. It's sad, but the truth. 

Edited by cuporbust

38 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Probably an unpopular opinion around here, but Ferland needs a Crosby like break. 

See - I feel the same way. To me, health is more important than playoffs. Just to be sure.

With that said, his concussion woes are well documented, and as they mount there is greater scrutiny on returning him to play. Especially in a hard played playoff environment, you gotta think both the organization and Ferland himself are pretty confident it is safe to have him out there. In no way is having him reconcussed good for any party.

I would imagine he has been told at this point his concussion is healed - until it has been proven not to be if he suffers more symptoms. I figure it is the ol' wait and see approach, but all indications are a go. You know - just like his first game back in the AHL...

As for him being held out, Benning saying "be back soon" leads me to believe he is waiting on covid test results. Just a guess.

Edited by kloubek
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Great player if he could play the way he used to, but he can't. It's sad, but the truth. 

I understand what you are saying. Ferland needs to crash and bang to be effective. He absolutely does.

But if he and all the experts around him believe he can still play like that, perhaps he can? As hard as it would be to effectively risk his life out there every night, I imagine he knows that kind of play is what keeps him in the league. I expect he will avoid fighting - as he should.

Please don't write him off as a lost cause just because of a concussion history. Many players have had multiple concussions and still went on to continue playing fine.

• Cheers 1

I thought for sure he'd come back 100% healthy for the playoffs. But really, the Canucks never had him before, an they can still win, play with grit. I don't think there will be many of any fights, the playoffs will be about skill and speed. 

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I thought for sure he'd come back 100% healthy for the playoffs. But really, the Canucks never had him before, an they can still win, play with grit. I don't think there will be many of any fights, the playoffs will be about skill and speed. 

Skill and speed? Did you watch last’s playoffs? The Blues crushed everything in their path.

8 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Skill and speed? Did you watch last’s playoffs? The Blues crushed everything in their path.

I think this year is different, because it's very different. The players are chomping at the bit, ready to race out of the gates. It's going to be fast. Who knows who will end up in the SCF though. The team with the least COVID cases?

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Funny that we’re hoping he has Covid rather than concussions issues but it is the better option.

Benning all but said he tested positive. He pretty much spelled it out for the media.

I can't find the benning quote or clip.. What did he say that pointed to covid?

16 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I can't find the benning quote or clip.. What did he say that pointed to covid?

He said that he expects Ferland back soon.  Presumably in 14 days.....

If it were concussion symptoms, he would have no idea of a time line

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I can't find the benning quote or clip.. What did he say that pointed to covid

Basically the media member said that he knows he can’t say if a player has it but if he was alarmed or something along those lines.

Benning went on to say because of the NHL wording of what they’re allowed to say he couldn’t say. I dunno maybe I was just jumping to conclusions but to me the way he said it he was basically telling the media to read between the lines.

I mean it could be a groin injury for all I know, but the fact that Benning almost seems certain of the timeframe makes me think he’s in quarantine now.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

He said that he expects Ferland back soon.  Presumably in 14 days.....

If it were concussion symptoms, he would have no idea of a time line

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I mean it could be a groin injury for all I know, but the fact that Benning almost seems certain of the timeframe makes me think he’s in quarantine now.

Yeah seems like he has tested positive then.. though if he was in full blown covid it would be longer than 14 days given he has to not only kick the virus but recover from the inactivity. Do you have to be symptom free for a certain amount of time?

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Yeah seems like he has tested positive then.. though if he was in full blown covid it would be longer than 14 days given he has to not only kick the virus but recover from the inactivity. Do you have to be symptom free for a certain amount of time?

He simply needs to get two negative results taken 48 hours apart I believe.

So if he’s already had it for a few days he might be able to be tested in like 10 days.

If he was in shape coming in 10 days off shouldn’t be a big deal.

I would imagine a healthy athlete would likely overcome Covid well. May not even show any symptoms.

Does the NHL have their own fast-track testers in every city or do they have to wait a few days like everyone else? Couldn't he just he waiting on a test result?

7 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Ferlund has been totally useless.  Not saying it's his fault, but its totally obvious he was a swing and a miss. 

Luckily he gets more than one swing.  Not saying it wasn't a swing and a miss, but that's only one strike.  Maybe two now.  But there's still a chance for a homer.  There's still hope he can contribute.  Go Canucks Go!

6 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

As much as that would suck... It maybe as goos as it gets for him.  Whether he plays or not, I just hope he's okay.

Ya, at this point, he shouldn’t put his health on the line for the Playoffs.

6 hours ago, kloubek said:

I would imagine he has been told at this point his concussion is healed - until it has been proven not to be if he suffers more symptoms. I figure it is the ol' wait and see approach, but all indications are a go. You know - just like his first game back in the AHL...

This is the main problem, imo. Brought him back to early and he was already done with that AHL game. Feel like they’re going to do the same here.

Imo, a Crosby style break is the way to go. If it’s still bad by then, it’s probably best to call it a career.