The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

Does anyone know if Ferland and or the Canucks have contacted Pittsburgh/Crosby to inquire about the focus training or whatever it was that he went thru during his long absence? I recall him having trouble seeing the plays develop in real time or it was giving him headaches etc. I believe he worked really hard on that to help clear things up and he has been healthy since then.

I really want Ferland to work out for us, hopefully he/Canucks exhaust all efforts and look into everything possible to try and get him healthy.

When you devote your life to making the NHL then trying to overcome the concussion problem to play again is understandable. That said I would not risk my health to do this when I have a young family at home and enough money to retire on. Yes, I am making a lot of assumptions and I hope Michael has sound advice. 

• Like 1

I hate to say it about a local boy but I really think Ferland should just sit out the rest of his contract on LTIR and then make the move in to coaching. Health is just too important to risk extensive brain damage. I really like him as a player and was thrilled when he signed with us but its just not worth the risk. Plus I truly believe that he would make an excellent coach. Start as an assistant in the CHL and work his way up. I believe he could teach an entire generation on the importance of heart and how to play the game the right way.

• Cheers 1

This young man sacrificed everything for Calgary while his brain was still developing. He was encouraged every game to put his body and brain on the line by being a total lunatic on the ice. And now at the age of 28, his career might be over. Compare his development to Virtanen's. Virtanen remains healthy as he gets stronger and thinks the game quicker with each passing year. Calgary did not develop Ferland that well at all.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see him coming back at training camp after playing less than 30 minutes on three separate returns over a 10 month period. 

LTIR with a possible return around the TDL as his cap hit would be around 1 million. Ferland is a steal at 3.5 million if he is actually healthy. He is the type of guy who is skilled enough to play a second line role in the NHL and his size/physical edge is a massive boost to his value and what he can bring. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I can't see him coming back at training camp after playing less than 30 minutes on three separate returns over a 10 month period. 

LTIR with a possible return around the TDL as his cap hit would be around 1 million. Ferland is a steal at 3.5 million if he is actually healthy. He is the type of guy who is skilled enough to play a second line role in the NHL and his size/physical edge is a massive boost to his value and what he can bring. 

if he is on LTIR they won't be able to bank cap space.  They would need his full 3.5M cap hit available to activate him - cap space is also pro-rated.  

8 minutes ago, mll said:

if he is on LTIR they won't be able to bank cap space.  They would need his full 3.5M cap hit available to activate him - cap space is also pro-rated.  

So at deadline if his pro-rated cap his 1 million we need 3.5 million total or the pro rated amount? 

23 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

So at deadline if his pro-rated cap his 1 million we need 3.5 million total or the pro rated amount? 

The full 3.5M.   The pro-rata applies to both sides of the equation.

At the end of the season the sum of all the daily cap hits can't exceed the maximum cap.  In LTIR the daily cap hits = the maximum daily cap space available. There's no banked cap space as LTIR only allows to exceed the cap up to the amount needed to remain cap compliant.

By the TDL, the pro-rata of the season up to the TDL = the pro-rata of the maximum cap up to the TDL.  So of the 81.5M there's only the pro-rata of what's left of the season available.  IE the cap left for the rest of the season is also pro-rated just as Ferland's cap hit will be.  As the pro-rata is the same on both sides of the equation it's easier to just talk in full cap hits.

Lets say the TDL is with a quarter of the season left. By the TDL the team will have used up 3/4 of 81.5M.  So they only have 25% of 81.5M left.  For Ferland to come off LTIR they will need to have 3.5M available.  

The rest of the roster can't account for more than 78M for the rest of the season otherwise they will exceed their available cap space of 25% of 81.5M.

( 78M roster + 3.5M Ferland ) pro-rated at 25% = 25% of 81.5M

Edited by mll

• 4 weeks later...

If Ferland is healthy, he has shown in the past he can play a skillful game too.

Even spent most of his time flanking Aho and Teravainen's wing in Carolina.

I really hope Ferland is healthy first and foremost and when he does comeback, would like to see him used in a more skilled role to minimize the chances of getting hurt playing that rough and tumble style.  Clearly has the hockey IQ to playoff good players and has a nose for the net too.

Perhaps he is our internal solution in the top six should he be healthy and stay healthy.

Anyone who hasn't lived under a rock knows what Ferland can bring. He can change a playoff series. We've seen it.

But this on again off again has gotta stop. For his health and for the Canucks, he needs to get himself sorted or step away from the game. I respect him for trying, and will respect him more for protecting his future if need be.

But man, I did have high expectations of the signing. It hasn't worked out, but I maintain 8t was a solid acquisition on paper at least.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 3