The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

39 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Edler has been the Canucks #1 Dman for 10 years. He never seems to get much respect. 

There were a few years where his defense was very suspect and his offense began to fall off too. In those days, Tanev was often our best defenseman. However, for the last two years, Edler has probably gotten back to being our best defenseman and I can agree that he doesn't (and didn't) get the respect he deserves. His strong season last year rectified much of that though and I see some more fans given him his due.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Really curious what becomes of Tanev, with Myers and Benn all aboard. This could possibly be the D in the near future:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Benn

Juolevi - Stecher

Fantenberg - Woo

Benn is a solid 3rd pairing D.  He is not a good 2nd pairing D. Tanev is and is proven.  No way you trade Tanev if your only option is to, once again, play players higher in the line up than they belong. 

IMO Tanev only gets traded if the Canucks get a top 4 D in return. That D line up above if used this season would be over their heads other than the 1st pairing imo.

For gods sake, that 2nd pairing has one 3rd pairing D and a rookie that has played 5 nhl games. 

That 3rd pairing has an actual 3rd pairing D in Stecher and a player that hasn't even shown he can play in the NHL.

Thats a big NO THANKS from me.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Neither Edler Myers are top pair guys.  It will D by committee.  

I disagree. Edler was definitely a top pairing D last year...and not just on our team either....on lots of teams. Hopefully he plays as well this year.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

There were a few years where is defense was very suspect and his offense began to fall off too. In those days, Tanev was often our best defenseman. However, for the last two years, Edler has probably gotten back to being our best defenseman and I can agree that he doesn't (and didn't) get the respect he deserves. His strong season last year rectified much of that though and I see some more fans given him his due.

Edler probably wouldn't be a #1 on a contending team, but he has been the Canucks best. Unfortunately, age is catching up with him and injuries are occurring. I can see Hughes being the #1 by the end of the season. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I disagree. Edler was definitely a top pairing D last year...and not just on our team either....on lots of teams. Hopefully he plays as well this year.

I hope Eddy and Myers are awesome too.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I can all but guarantee he will be our #1.  It's just up in the air as to whether it will be this coming season or not.

I hope he does because I said on draft day, and plenty of times since, that he was the 2nd best d-man only behind Dahlin.  If he flops, or even takes longer than a season or two to develop and grow, I'll be shocked.

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hope Eddy and Myers are awesome too.  

It's what it is.  The Fs will have to help out whenever they can.  Oh yeah and score lots of goals.

Next year will be much better...                           Hughes   Petrangelo (ufa) 

Edler    Meyers

Joulevi/Benn  Stecher

:towel:

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Edler has been the Canucks #1 Dman for 10 years. He never seems to get much respect. 

While entirely true that he has been our #1, and that he doesn't often get the respect he deserves, the former really just shows how little top talent we've have had in our D. He has been a really good (minus a couple rough years) guy for us, but we have had a far below average d since our run so it really isn't saying much. 

Myers brings a similar yet a little lesser skillset to our team at a rather high cost over term. It will help us for sure - though it will have to be Hughes to put up the significant points, as nobody else in our pipeline looks to be anywhere remotely close in skill. We need tonpool our assets and get that second scorer, imo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I hope he does because I said on draft day, and plenty of times since, that he was the 2nd best d-man only behind Dahlin.  If he flops, or even takes longer than a season or two to develop and grow, I'll be shocked.

His skill cannot be denied.  I believe he will be able to translate that skill pretty much immediately. He will be very, very good. Perhaps fantastic.

But he is small. Very small. Will he be able to properly defend much bigger opponents? Will he be able to resist injury? He may never lay a guy out, but can he at least hold his own in a physical game? I think the answer to these questions will determine his ceiling and how quickly he gets there.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

IMO Tanev only gets traded if the Canucks get a top 4 D in return

Or maybe traded for a solid prospect or late first or a couple 2nd/3rd round picks to a serious contender. This would likely be dependent on him starting the season playing well and healthy.

I totally agree though that we should not just get rid of Tanev for below his value (I know injuries have impacted that), I'd rather just keep him and hope he has a healthier season. He's super solid defensively and will be a good partner for Quinn. 

On 7/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, dpn1 said:

I am not sure I would totally agree with you on the number value of his salary.  6 million over 5 years and no expansion protection is not unreasonable.  Time will tell.

He isn't horribly overpaid, but of course in free agency you pay a higher salary rate as you aren't giving up assets to acquire the player. I'd rather have Myers at 6 million over 5 years than trade a 1st round pick for Myers at 4.9 million per year over 5 years. In terms of age he is two years younger than Loui Eriksson was when we signed him and has one less year. 

Myers makes this team better and wasn't a terrible signing by any stretch but he isn't good value at 6 million. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Canucks top pairing Dmen make $6 each. That's not unreasonable by any stretch. Paying a Dman $11.5 when he's not great defensively is a mistake IMO.

The D will get its fair share of points this season, especially with rover Hughes all over the ice creating plays. But what's more important, is keeping the puck out of their own net. Edler and Myers will be a formidable pairing, and Benn will add some nasty paired with Stecher (I think). Juolevi might get his chance, and he's very solid defensively. No one on the D makes mre than $6, and it's improved, so I think Benning has done a good job here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/18/2019 at 12:55 PM, SabreFan1 said:

Myers is not a top pairing d-man even with Edler.  If the Canucks have to use him as one, Markstrom can't have a slow first half start again and Markstrom would need to continue his second half form right out of the gate if the Canucks want a shot at the playoffs.

Yup.  Have no idea why people think pairing him with Edler is a good idea, Myers is a great bottom pairing guy, and a reasonable #4 on a good day.  Needs to be sheltered just as he was in Winnipeg.  He will get eaten alive in top pairing minutes.  

Edler - Stecher

Benn - Tanev

Hughes - Myers (extremely sheltered pairing with offensive zone starts)

Is my best guess.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

Yup.  Have no idea why people think pairing him with Edler is a good idea, Myers is a great bottom pairing guy, and a reasonable #4 on a good day.  Needs to be sheltered just as he was in Winnipeg.  He will get eaten alive in top pairing minutes.  

Edler - Stecher

Benn - Tanev

Hughes - Myers (extremely sheltered pairing with offensive zone starts)

Is my best guess.  

Myers is clearly a top four guy.  He won the Calder!  He’s 6’8”, 230, and skates great.  He’s super smart too.  

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stecher

Bulldog.

Within 10 games Hughes is our top minute D man.  

Within 40 games OJ has forced his way into our top four and is playing 18 - 20 minutes.

Myers will get 30 plus points

Edler 30 plus

Hughes 60 plus.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I feel that Myers needs to be with a solid veteran Dman, who is good defensively. From what I've heard, Myers sometimes struggles in his own end. Edler will help here.

As for Tanev, every year he blocks at least one too many shots and gets injured. But that's because he's been hemmed in his own end at times, trying to clear the puck, and he blocks a lot of shots, even when he doesn't have to (Canucks do have a goalie). But if Tanev was paired with young Hughes, the mobile phenom, chances are Tanev won't have to fight for his life in his own end, but just let Hughes do his thing and move the puck up ice. The less shots Tanev has to block, the better. Some say Tanev needs to shelter Hughes, but I think it's the other way around.

Then a possible 3rd pairing with Benn an Stecher. I see these guys battling hard.

From all reports I've heard, playing Myers on the top pairing would be a mistake. His offense is good enough, but his defense can be questionable. I think I like these pairings:

Edler-Tanev - Solid all around and already good chemistry

Benn-Hughes - Two different styles complement each other 

Myers-Stecher - Stecher helps balance Myers' offense plays with sound defense

The only potential problem I see with this is that Benn may be playing out of his depth in the top 4, but Green could amend that by playing pairings 2 and 3 evenly.

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

From all reports I've heard, playing Myers on the top pairing would be a mistake. His offense is good enough, but his defense can be questionable. I think I like these pairings:

Edler-Tanev - Solid all around and already good chemistry

Benn-Hughes - Two different styles complement each other 

Myers-Stecher - Stecher helps balance Myers' offense plays with sound defense

The only potential problem I see with this is that Benn may be playing out of his depth in the top 4, but Green could amend that by playing pairings 2 and 3 evenly.

I like sticking with Edler-Tanev as the 1st pairing. 

The rest I think you'll see shift depending on the zone start - maybe Hughes-Myers in the ozone, Benn-Myers in our end. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/18/2019 at 5:05 PM, SabreFan1 said:

...and with the Canucks' penchant to get bit by the injury bug, things could get ugly with the defensive play.

So the Canucks sign two top six Dmen, have Hughes for the entire year and retained Edler in FA and you are predicting doom and gloom?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So the Canucks sign two top six Dmen, have Hughes for the entire year and retained Edler in FA and you are predicting doom and gloom?

I think he's tempering expectations more than predicting doom and gloom.