debluvscanucks

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, highwayman3 said:

Here's the McCurdy stuff

 

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1145734208473767936/photo/1

 

I'll find a link for the GAR stuff.

 

Yes, Hughes was amazing in regards to advanced shots / shot differential.  He's going to be an elite defenceman imo.  Personally I think Stecher may be ready for top 4 minutes with Edler, he did very well last year.  If not then Tanev.  Even though I am very optimistic about Hughes I think that he should be sheltered as a rookie, so that's why I see him and Myers on the third pairing.  Maybe Hughes works his way up midway through the season?

 

 

Those are nasty looking stats on Meyers.  Think I'll wait for my eyes test though.

 

The Canucks d is mostly 2nd and 3rd pairing guys, and with the possibility of 2 rookies joining the team during the season, I think they will hang onto Tanev until well after Christmas.  He's probably the best shutdown guy, but Green needs to keep his minutes down.  CT would be a great partner providing defensive shelter for a rookie.

 

It will be a challenge for Green to work the pairings so that the d's are not getting overwhelmed with too much toi, or the quality of opposition lines.  Luckily the team has quite a few fws that can play team defence and will help the d' out. 

 

The defence is much better than last year and they do have guys that can make that effective 1st pass out of the d-zone.  Benn is a solid stay at home dman, who will do an awesome job keeping the opposition away from the net.  He could also shelter a rookie (Juolevi).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if a couple of injuries hit the D, I think the Canucks will still be in decent shape. They seem to have a bit more depth this year.

 

Edler

Myers

Tanev

Hughes

Benn

Stecher

Fantenberg

Juolevi

Sautner

Rafferty

Teves

Biega

Brisebois

Tryamkin* (maybe later in the season?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 3:47 PM, highwayman3 said:

Yup.  Have no idea why people think pairing him with Edler is a good idea, Myers is a great bottom pairing guy, and a reasonable #4 on a good day.  Needs to be sheltered just as he was in Winnipeg.  He will get eaten alive in top pairing minutes.  

 

Edler - Stecher

Benn - Tanev

Hughes - Myers (extremely sheltered pairing with offensive zone starts)

 

Is my best guess.  

I think pairing Myers with Edler would be fine in the long run.  Myers' biggest flaw has always been his mental lapses which can result in goals against. 

 

If Myers is open to learning from Edler, then they both could make a half decent middle pair.  If he isn't open to, or doesn't have the capacity to learn any longer, then putting him with Edler would be a waste of Edler's talents.

 

Honestly I can see the Myers acquisition going either way.  He earns his money and becomes a solid top 4 guy by the end of the season or he continues to slowly decline and becomes a drag on defence.  That's where Markstrom hopefully having a quick start this year comes in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 5:36 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

So the Canucks sign two top six Dmen, have Hughes for the entire year and retained Edler in FA and you are predicting doom and gloom?

With the injury bug?  How are you not predicting possible doom and gloom.  I'm considering starting a "days since Tanev's last injury" counter.  I expect to have to reset it a handful of times if I do.

 

Also, you do realize that a team usually just puts 6 d-men on the bench, right?  Although will sometimes carry and healthy scratch a 7th on a road trip in case of injury or in the case of the Canucks sometimes fly them across the continent from Utica to home in advance.  So saying signing two top 6 d-men is the same as saying they signed 2 d-men.  Not taking a cheap shot, just dunno if you were trying to say something there.

Edited by SabreFan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

With the injury bug?  How are you not predicting possible doom and gloom.  I'm considering starting a "days since Tanev's last injury" counter.  I expect to have to reset it a handful of times if I do.

 

Also, you do realize that a team usually just puts 6 d-men on the bench, right?  Although will sometimes carry and healthy scratch a 7th on a road trip in case of injury or in the case of the Canucks sometimes fly them across the continent from Utica to home in advance.  So saying signing two top 6 d-men is the same as saying they signed 2 d-men.  Not taking a cheap shot, just dunno if you were trying to say something there.

The Canuck defence is overall better than what they had last season and the depth has improved as well.  I would hope that the advantage of adding the ufa's + Hughes will  result a lesser role (toi) for Tanev, which hopefully decreases injury times.

 

Edler  Meyers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stech

Biega

 

This group allows Green to change up pairings (according to the opposition) and adjust the best matching and toi for each dman.  Green will likely adjust his forward lines to support certain d pairings as well.  Canucks have a pretty good collection of fs that can play well at both ends of the ice.

 

Hardly a SC contending group, but don't be surprised if they make the playoffs this or next season.  However the outcome, Benning has put together a team that is going to be tough to play against and a lot of fun to watch.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I think pairing Myers with Edler would be fine in the long run.  Myers' biggest flaw has always been his mental lapses which can result in goals against. 

 

If Myers is open to learning from Edler, then they both could make a half decent middle pair.  If he isn't open to, or doesn't have the capacity to learn any longer, then putting him with Edler would be a waste of Edler's talents.

 

Honestly I can see the Myers acquisition going either way.  He earns his money and becomes a solid top 4 guy by the end of the season or he continues to slowly decline and becomes a drag on defence.  That's where Markstrom hopefully having a quick start this year comes in. 

Edler has always had a positive effect on all of his linemates. When Gudbranson was a Canuck, his best output was always with Edler. I can see Myers, who's considerably better than Gudbranson in most areas of the game, besides physicality, playing well and feeding off of Edler's knowledge.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The Canucks nearly made the playoffs last year - two long losing streaks (both in the middle of extreme injury impact) and that was with a D corp that has now been significantly upgraded in at least three ways (Benn, Hughes and Myers).  How on earth cannot that be better?    Even if Tanev is injured as much as he was last year, it is still miles better.    I don't get this constant fixation with negativity.   There are no guarantees in professional sports but when you improve your lineup as dramatically as the Vancouver Canucks have, why be pessimistic?

There's two factors here I think:

1. We weren't actually that close to the playoffs--The 2nd wild card team had 90 points, 9 more than we had. In the East it was 98 points, a whopping 17 more than our team. We need to be not just a bit better, but substantially better than last year to make the playoffs.

 

2. As indicated by the above numbers, the west was easier than usual to get into the playoffs. The numbers usually fall closer to 93-96 points to make the playoffs.

 

It's very possible for this team to make the playoffs next year, but it's not small task as it requires a pretty dramatic jump in points. I think it's natural to be concerned that something like injuries to key players could mess things up and prevent us from gaining the extra 15 points or so we need to make the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

There's two factors here I think:

1. We weren't actually that close to the playoffs--The 2nd wild card team had 90 points, 9 more than we had. In the East it was 98 points, a whopping 17 more than our team. We need to be not just a bit better, but substantially better than last year to make the playoffs.

 

2. As indicated by the above numbers, the west was easier than usual to get into the playoffs. The numbers usually fall closer to 93-96 points to make the playoffs.

 

It's very possible for this team to make the playoffs next year, but it's not small task as it requires a pretty dramatic jump in points. I think it's natural to be concerned that something like injuries to key players could mess things up and prevent us from gaining the extra 15 points or so we need to make the show.

The team doesn't play in the east so that is moot.   9 points IS very close when you consider the two massive stretches with zero points during those runs.   Five more wins is all it would have taken.    It is easier to say than do but hard to imagine that the team with their top Dmen last year being present even 10 more games (given the Canucks were over .500 when both were in the lineup) then those wins could have occurred.     

 

Your concerns exist for pretty much every team in the league.   The Canucks only lead the league in angst from fans.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That 13 game Stretch in November/December where we had 4 points was terrible. Markstrom was playing too much and got a little hurt, Demko was still injured, Bachman did not play well, we were missing Edler and Brock for stretches of that. 

 

That's 0.154 points %. Terrible. .500 hockey through that stretch puts us in the playoffs. Now, we'll likely still have some losing stretches this year, but I think there is more depth to handle situations like that this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 6:51 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Reading a lot of scouting reports on Myers he does remind me a bit of Edler or Bieksa. The ability is evident but struggles with consistency. Myers with the right partner looks like a solid number 3 who can defend, play 20+ minutes per night efficiently and chip in points. With the wrong partner he is an absolute disaster defensively. 

Physically he can also bring it but it is few and far between (like with Edler). I don't think Myers is a 6 million dollar defenseman (the premium you pay in free agency) but can likely play well in the right situation and is a major upgrade over Gudbranson.

This is exactly my take on Myers. Spot on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 9:56 PM, higgyfan said:

Hardly a SC contending group, but don't be surprised if they make the playoffs this or next season.  However the outcome, Benning has put together a team that is going to be tough to play against and a lot of fun to watch.

I agree. 

 

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.  I've been busy IRL the past week or so.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 11:49 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

The Canucks nearly made the playoffs last year - two long losing streaks (both in the middle of extreme injury impact) and that was with a D corp that has now been significantly upgraded in at least three ways (Benn, Hughes and Myers).  How on earth cannot that be better?    Even if Tanev is injured as much as he was last year, it is still miles better.    I don't get this constant fixation with negativity.   There are no guarantees in professional sports but when you improve your lineup as dramatically as the Vancouver Canucks have, why be pessimistic?

I never said it wasn't better.  I said my biggest concern is injuries.  For whatever reason, the Canucks being the most injured team in the league has scarily become a trend.

 

I'm a realist when it comes to my 2 favorite teams.  For instance, for all of the Sabres' defensive upgrades especially on the right, if they don't find a way to get better goaltending and secondary scoring, they will be a bottom 10 team again this year.  That means Mittelstadt has to start potting much more than last year and the 3rd line needs to chip in as well because God knows their 4th line will be offensively useless again this year.

 

Also, sorry I didn't respond sooner.  I've been very busy IRL the past week or so.

Edited by SabreFan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 11:54 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Edler has always had a positive effect on all of his linemates. When Gudbranson was a Canuck, his best output was always with Edler. I can see Myers, who's considerably better than Gudbranson in most areas of the game, besides physicality, playing well and feeding off of Edler's knowledge.

That's exactly why I'm hoping that Green pairs them together.  I was saying that even before JB signed him.

 

Myers' physicality has always been reactionary.  It's a double edged sword.  On the side, he can't produce offence if he's in the box, and on the other, nobody is worried about being held accountable by him if they need to be "corrected".  I've never actually seen him lose his sh*t before.  He regularly works out and with his size I've always wondered if he could do some serious damage to someone if he ever just lost control.

 

Also, sorry I didn't respond sooner.  I've been very busy IRL the past week or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's exactly why I'm hoping that Green pairs them together.  I was saying that even before JB signed him.

 

Myers' physicality has always been reactionary.  It's a double edged sword.  On the side, he can't produce offence if he's in the box, and on the other, nobody is worried about being held accountable by him if they need to be "corrected".  I've never actually seen him lose his sh*t before.  He regularly works out and with his size I've always wondered if he could do some serious damage to someone if he ever just lost control.

 

Also, sorry I didn't respond sooner.  I've been very busy IRL the past week or so.

I’ll never forgive you, SabreFan. Never ever. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn’t it our devastating injury-riddled November that essentially put us behind the 8-ball for the season? With improved depth this season, I’m VERY optimistic.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 4:22 PM, Yung1 said:

Disagree. It's so easy to look at the standings to decide the quality of a team. Watching the Canucks last year you could tell they were competitive in virtually every game, save for a massive cold streak in the middle of the season when we were hit with more injuries than any team in the league. This team is not far off.

And I agree with Zepp, 9 points isn't a lot. You're right that the threshold to enter the playoffs this year will likely be a few points higher, but adding Miller, Ferland, Myers, Benn, a full year of Quinn Hughes after a summer of training, and likely steps forward from Pettersson, Boeser, Gaudette, Virtanen, and Horvat to what last year's team was made up of is more than a significant upgrade.

People are underestimating this team. We're going to surprise.

I havebeen saying since last season, January. that the Canucks would make playoffs this coming season. Then JB goes out and adds Meyers, Ferland and Miller! Some posters are suggesting that JB added these players because his job was on the line if the club missed playoffs again this coming saeson. Look at the age of these 3 players. They are all young enough to fit the 3 year timeline to serious CUP contention. I would have no problem if the Canucks missed the playoffs again in the coming year if the timeline was respected as far as player acquistion and evaluation went. Like every off season Canuck fans get excited with the new crew and think the best results are a given.

 

The key to serious CUP contention is Horvat, EP40, Boeser and Hughes. They have to be complimented and Benning has done a solid job this summer on signing Meyers, Ferland and Miller. IMHO he moved contention up a season. All the roster needs is a few surprises and they could be another Carolina or likely Av's team.  

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

can't wait to see Jt, Ferly, Oscar and Jordie get line up with their new gear too.

 

Getting excited for start of training camp!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.