The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

So i've been watching some videos of our newest Canucks to pump me up for the upcoming season... Tyler Myers is underrated hitter. His highlight reel hits are impressive, he lays people out open ice more than Guddy and he drops the gloves and initiate fights too! 

He has a wicked wrist shot too and skates really well for a 6'7 dude. I think he will be a fan fav really quickly... actually all 4 of our big UFA signings have potential to be fan favs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The Jets must be kicking themselves royally.

I was so surprised to see them let a priming Myers go,.  And keep an aging Byfuglien.

.. and the latest is Buff might retire.

LTI.   Big shoes to fill.

they also lost Trouba, Ben Chiarot, and as you pointed out Byfugilen who might retire.  Kyle Konnor and Laine is also unsigned.  

2 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

didnt myers want too hit the UFA market?

Both him and his wife wanted to go home to Kelowna.  They have a young family now, and wanted to be close to his wife’s family.  It’s kind of becoming more clear the Canucks was Myer’s destination for a while.  It’s much like Trouba wanted to go to New York.  It’s not that guys wanted out of the Peg, but more-so wanted to be closer to home.  I think this loss of D men from the Jets is partly why Big Buff is considering retiring, and leaving 20 plus million on the table.  He knows his team will be awful.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Both him and his wife wanted to go home to Kelowna.  They have a young family now, and wanted to be close to his wife’s family.  It’s kind of becoming more clear the Canucks was Myer’s destination for a while.  It’s much like Trouba wanted to go to New York.  It’s not that guys wanted out of the Peg, but more-so wanted to be closer to home.  I think this loss of D men from the Jets is partly why Big Buff is considering retiring, and leaving 20 plus million on the table.  He knows his team will be awful.  

I am not a Jets fan so my take on Buff is pretty superficial. His commitment to the game has always been my question, even while with the Hawks. Absolutely one of the most imposing players to ever play the game. My impression is that keeping in shape has always been a struggle for him. When you are a multi millionaire the drive might not be there anymore. Combine that with his injury history and an individual could easily question whether the sacrifice is worth it. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with everyone commenting on Myer's pre-season game against Edmonton.  He looked terrific out there.  He was the most noticeable defenseman on either team.  He used his big body to shield the puck, skated very well, made some laser passes and defended well.  He's one of the things we've been needing for a long time on this team.  I really like him teamed up with Edler, although I could see him being paired with Hughes to provide a steady partner who makes few mistakes.  I hope we see him in a Canucks uniform for a long time to come.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

I agree with everyone commenting on Myer's pre-season game against Edmonton.  He looked terrific out there.  He was the most noticeable defenseman on either team.  He used his big body to shield the puck, skated very well, made some laser passes and defended well.  He's one of the things we've been needing for a long time on this team.  I really like him teamed up with Edler, although I could see him being paired with Hughes to provide a steady partner who makes few mistakes.  I hope we see him in a Canucks uniform for a long time to come.

IMO makes more sense to put Myers with Edler. Myers makes some defensive zone mistakes sometimes while trying to push offence. A steady partner like Edler makes tons of sense.

You can then leave Tanev with Hughes for the exact same reason.

Edler has routinely made much worse players than Myers look good so I think that’s a great fit. Also I don’t think our D depth really go above the bottom pairing yet, so I want Edler and Tanev apart and some sheltering of QH 5v5 to start with, so Tanev and QH as the second pairing makes sense to me. 

Tyler Myers

OK...…….Everyone knew what we were getting...……...a top 4 defenseman......probably a 4

Plain and simple!

So, lets not hear any bitching and complaining

He will be hot and cold

But basically he is equivalent to a 2 line player...….

Live with it!

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Tyler Myers

OK...…….Everyone knew what we were getting...……...a top 4 defenseman......probably a 4

Plain and simple!

So, lets not hear any bitching and complaining

He will be hot and cold

But basically he is equivalent to a 2 line player...….

Live with it!

Myers has looked outstanding. The drop pass turnovers are a coaching issue

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1