The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

( Proposal) A Trade that should be made

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I dunno. Kinda seems like a piece we already have in Jett Woo. I think I'd rather hold onto Virtanen and either see how far we can develop him or use him as a piece in a deal for a legit first pairing right handed Dman.

True but did you read 6 foot 5 a mobile puck moving D man that shoots right and is projected to # 2 Dman

2 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

True but did you read 6 foot 5 a mobile puck moving D man that shoots right and is projected to # 2 Dman

We already have a 6 foot 7 puck moving Dman that shoots right and is a 2nd pairing guy in our lineup now, Tryamkin likely comes back next year, and we have Woo on the way who projects to be a 2nd pairing guy that shoots right as well. It just seems a little redundant now imo. I'd rather hold off and save whatever trade chips we have left to try and land that last piece of the puzzle....a legit first pairing guy. If you think he can be that, then by all means I say go for it, but other than that I think I'd hold off.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Fletcher is always praising Myers and sees him taking an increased role next season - he confirmed that he will be on the roster.  Vigneault liked him so much at the Worlds that he even played him over Stecher.  Don't think he's in any way available - he's one of their too few young right shooting Ds.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

I would they wouldn't. Virtanen is never gonna get any meaningful looks here and the recent additions of Miller and Ferland have all but finished any real chance of seeing Virtanen in the top 6. If we could move him for a guy that could slot in top 4 on the right side one day I'd be all for it.

• Upvote 2

We take this deal and run each and every time.  You can never have too many RHD...we need more too, Woo isn’t a lock to make the NHL let alone become a second pairing guy, of course we hope he can, and Myers won’t be around forever.  Plus you always want to upgrade your defense, if he’s a better guy to have then Stecher slot him in.  Tree also shoots left...sure he can play the right side but it’s not ideal.   Talk this deal and run.  JV is buried now and won’t get as many chances...looks like at least for now the third line is his ceiling.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

We take this deal and run each and every time.  You can never have too many RHD...we need more too, Woo isn’t a lock to make the NHL let alone become a second pairing guy, of course we hope he can, and Myers won’t be around forever.  Plus you always want to upgrade your defense, if he’s a better guy to have then Stecher slot him in.  Tree also shoots left...sure he can play the right side but it’s not ideal.   Talk this deal and run.  JV is buried now and won’t get as many chances...looks like at least for now the third line is his ceiling.

I still think it’s redundant when we have more pressing needs. That is, unless you believe he can be a top pairing guy.

7 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I dunno. Kinda seems like a piece we already have in Jett Woo. I think I'd rather hold onto Virtanen and either see how far we can develop him or use him as a piece in a deal for a legit first pairing right handed Dman.

I'm not saying we should trade Virtanen for Myers, since I don't know enough about him...but if we wait to trade Virtanen until after we finally gave up on him, he won't even be able to haul in a top 4 D, let alone a top pairing.  He'd be at throw-in at best.

52 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I'm not saying we should trade Virtanen for Myers, since I don't know enough about him...but if we wait to trade Virtanen until after we finally gave up on him, he won't even be able to haul in a top 4 D, let alone a top pairing.  He'd be at throw-in at best.

You obviously know more about Myers than I do. Do you think he’d be someone that could play on a top pairing with Hughes?

The question is, if he has this much potential, why would Philly accept Virtanen for him in a trade?  You’d think they’d hang onto him and see how he develops rather than taking on a player who has so far not lived up to expectations 

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I still think it’s redundant when we have more pressing needs. That is, unless you believe he can be a top pairing guy.

What is more pressing then our defense at this point?  We have to replace Edler and Tanev soon and other then Woo and OJ, maybe Tree we don’t have much else in the pipe and this guy is ready to play now.   Personally I think this would be a great trade for us, not that I think they would do it, but worse trades have been made before.  Even if Woo works out we could still use an upgrade and having two Myers is better then one ha ha.  Losing JV and the hope he breaks out wouldn’t be easy though, I’m still hoping too.   

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

What is more pressing then our defense at this point?  We have to replace Edler and Tanev soon and other then Woo and OJ, maybe Tree we don’t have much else in the pipe and this guy is ready to play now.   Personally I think this would be a great trade for us, not that I think they would do it, but worse trades have been made before.  Even if Woo works out we could still use an upgrade and having two Myers is better then one ha ha.  Losing JV and the hope he breaks out wouldn’t be easy though, I’m still hoping too.   

On a general level, yes, defense is of course important. But with our current roster and pipeline, I'm pretty confident in what we have now and what we have coming when it comes to the bottom two pairings. Not to mention losing Jake does give us a hole on RW that I don't think will be as easy to fill as people think. Not only that, but it then makes it essential that we move one of Tanev or Stetcher before the season starts, and the necessity to move one of them may hurt their value.

But my main point of contention is that I truly feel that we should be focussing pretty much all of our efforts on acquiring our top pairing guy. If you feel that Myers is that guy, then I say go for it, but if you believe his ceiling is 2nd pairing guy, I'd rather hold onto Jake and either see how much further we can develop him or use him as a trade chip in a bigger deal that will land us our top pairing guy. With the way our lineup and pipeline look now, I think we need to focus our efforts a bit.

9 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Trade Jake Virtanen to Philadelphia Flyers for Philippe Myers.

Myers is another big, mobile player who has promise as a second pairing puck mover. 6 foot 5 inches Right shooting D man
Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com.

I think this is a very good idea.  Seems like similar value and I think the key here is that we are moving from an area of strength (F) to an area of a lesser strength (D).  This actually is a very astute move in my mind to bolster the D pipeline.  We have an abundance of W prospect depth and young players on W now, but we are all banking on Woo to be that guy on RD.  We need prospect redundancy which also creates competition.  All this said, I am a huge Virtanen fan, but I think this is something we should consider.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Miller and Ferland have all but finished any real chance of seeing Virtanen in the top 6.

Adding two LWs who are about four or five years ahead of Jake in their careers somehow finish Jake's chances with Vancouver?    What a curious conclusion.   

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Adding two LWs who are about four or five years ahead of Jake in their careers somehow finish Jake's chances with Vancouver?    What a curious conclusion.   

I think Ray Ferraro figured Jake's ceiling years ago.  Ray said he saw Jake as a bigger, faster, more skilled, version of Janik Hansen.  Basically a third line guy, who effects the game in multiple ways, and can move up to the top six when injuries (or coaching decisions) dictate.  I think that’s a heck of a valuable player, who will (likely?) always contribute more than his cap cost.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Ray Ferraro figured Jake's ceiling years ago.  Ray said he saw Jake as a bigger, faster, more skilled, version of Janik Hansen.  Basically a third line guy, who effects the game in multiple ways, and can move up to the top six when injuries (or coaching decisions) dictate.  I think that’s a heck of a valuable player, who will (likely?) always contribute more than his cap cost.  

I think Ray Ferraro is wrong.    I think Travis Green seems Jake's ceiling as a far different player and his projection of seeing that final product by the time Jake is 24 seems about right.   This would correspond with when players like Wilson and Bertuzzi (and many others) really hit their strides.

• Upvote 1